Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition What’s Your Favorite Summer Snacks?

• What’s Your Favorite Summer Snacks?

Posted by jen-cueva on May 10, 2021 at 2:09 pm

Here along the Texas Gulf Coast, the temperatures and humidity have been high. I often have issues with retaining more fluid in the warmer months. Some of this may be my snacking choices.

I enjoy watermelon, and other melons, cucumbers, and fresh fruits and veggies. The problem for me is the extra fluid that is in some of my favorites. Cucumbers and watermelon both have high water content.

I have been trying to think of other cool summer treats. I like blueberries or strawberries with a dollop of Cool Whip, iced coffees, frozen greek yogurt bars, and sno-cones.

What are some of your favorite summer treats? As you can see, my list still has some liquids, so those will need to be accounted for when I track my fluid intake.

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 9 months ago 5 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • susi-steppins

May 10, 2021 at 3:54 pm

I am with you @jenc.
    Fresh fruit, especially watermelon, is on the top of my list.
    I am always craving the slushies that McDonald’s sells in the summer.
    This year they have a strawberry watermelon flavor that is delicious.
    I have to watch my fluid intake as well and it is a very difficult thing to do in the summer.
    My favorite go to veggie to serve with dinner when it is hot is a tomato, cucumber, red onion and avacado salad with just a bit of caesar dressing.
    Frozen grapes, cherries or pineapple is always good.
    There is also a good fudgesicle in my freezer as well.
    Gosh, getting hungry for a snack now. 🙂

• jill-upshaw

June 17, 2021 at 2:16 pm

I have never been a juice drinker mainly because it bothered my stomach. But for some reason, the Simply Ades are hitting the spot. I don’t need the calories but it does seem to help with thirst more. I have been eating pineapples more but only the fresh ones. Nothing canned. I have never drunk coffee, tea or milk so no problem with leaving those aside. However, keeping popsicles on hand really do help. I sip on Diet Coke also. But one summer food that is really tasting good this year is just fresh mixed greens sprayed with fresh lemon. I eat that for snacks several times a week. A local restaurant serves that in small portions for breakfast and I just eat it like chips by hand. Nothing on it but the lemon juice misted on it.

• Colleen

June 17, 2021 at 4:03 pm

Thanks for sharing @upshtcx! I don’t think Cullen or I have ever tried the Simply Ades. When I googled it I see there is a Simply Peach. I will definitely give that one a try!

• jen-cueva

July 22, 2022 at 1:12 pm

Hey @colleensteele, I bought the Simply Peach last week on sale. I use it to add to my unsweet tea to make unsweetened iced tea. It’s a bit too sweet for me by itself. I need to water it down to drink it as an “ade.”

But then again, it would add to my fluid intake; my new nephrologist decreased it a little. Ughh.

• jen-cueva

May 11, 2021 at 12:54 pm

Hi @s-steppins, oh, watermelon is what gets me in trouble most often. It tastes so good, and I can eat a ton by myself, lol.
    Oh yes, I just heard that McDonald’s has slushies or Icees. My niece just told me.

It sounds like we similar tastes. Be careful to count the watermelon and slushies as liquids.

Oh my, your tomato, cucumber, red onion, and avocado salad sounds amazing. I do something similar but not with avocado or Ceasar dressing. I use a little olive oil, lemon, and herbs in mine.

Yes, I am about ready to eat lunch, so this is making me hungry, hehe.

What about y’all? What summer snacks do you enjoy?

• terry

May 14, 2021 at 2:11 am

Mangos or is it mangoes ? Love em especially with sweet pineapple and whipped cream . Love them so much I called my current sail boat Mango.
    In the olden days in Ocean racing had to report position every six hours on HF radio and had to spell phonetically boat name. You know try Swazzelbubble . Sierra , Whisky,Alpha . err where was I ,what is Z again ? So Mango is perfect and did I tell you I love em.

• jen-cueva

May 14, 2021 at 5:10 pm

Hehe, @terry, here in Texas that have Manganados and also Mango Margaritis. I bet that you would like them both. The manganado is like a snow cone with mango and like a tangy spice added to it—the same for the margarita.

Humm, now I need a snow cone, I think, hehe.

• Colleen

May 14, 2021 at 12:46 pm

I’m reading all of your responses and compiling a food shopping list! I haven’t tried the McDonald’s slushies but everything else is a BIG yes for me @jenc, @s-steppins and @terry!

But my absolute favorite is peaches! I LOVE peaches and wish I could get them fresh all year. I enjoy peaches and cottage cheese with some pepper sprinkled on top. Peach pie, peach wine (haha), peach tea…endless options.

• jen-cueva

May 14, 2021 at 5:13 pm

LOL @colleensteele, I started my shopping list last night but still in produce. I love fresh fruits and veggies.

I do love a fresh juicy peace or canned peaches that are cold. I also love peach cobbler. There is also a tea place here that has peach ginger green tea. That is one of my favorite flavors.

Now, I am thinking we all should come back to this post next week and see what we enjoyed over the weekend, LOL

• terry

May 15, 2021 at 3:11 am

Aww your a tease Jen,
      Now if it wasn’t for covid I would be putting on my RM cowboy Boots and Akubra Stetson and going over for a Manganado or two. Just have to suck on a mango and orange soft drink

• jen-cueva

May 16, 2021 at 10:43 am

Hehe @terry, I need to have a Mangonado just for you this week. It has been a while, so I need one, too.

Too funny, no boots or hat required, but you certainly would fit in here in Texas, Hehe.

I hope that you and the missee are having a nice relaxing weekend.

• jen-cueva

June 15, 2021 at 3:55 pm

Hey y’all, I am back again as summer record June temps are here in my part of the world. Reminding myself those cooling treats are mostly liquid is important for me. I know for many of you, too; extra fluid is an ongoing struggle, too.

Enjoy those cool treats in moderation and keep a close eye on your daily weight.

What other foods can you enjoy without a high water content?

• Colleen

June 15, 2021 at 5:13 pm

@jenc this isn’t exactly a food but it does offer some hydration. Since my son’s were little we have, and still do, keep Otter Pops in the freezer all summer long. We go through many boxes of them by the end of summer.

I still prefer fresh, juicy summer fruit mixed with cottage cheese but I will occasionally enjoy otter pops, especially after mowing the lawn or something like that. Brian and the boys though…I swear they could live on them!

• jen-cueva

June 16, 2021 at 10:25 am

Hey Colleen,

I often had something like Otter pops, except they count as fluid, too. But they are great to cool off. I always had them when KK was little, too.

Those and we treated ourselves to snow cones on hot days. I have not yet had one this year, I went a few days ago, and the one was 1o cars deep, so I choose SBUX instead because I had a free drink.

Fresh fruits are my go-to, often, but I am not a fan of cottage cheese. I have to be careful of how much and which fruits I eat. I love melons, especially watermelon. But I have been buying berries and apples, along with some frozen fruits. Frozen fruits are cheaper and last longer. I tossed some mixed frozen fruit in my blender yesterday with a little lemonade and ice, and it made a slushie-like treat.

• jen-cueva

July 7, 2022 at 1:36 pm

What are y’all snacking on this week to stay cool? We picked up a small yellow watermelon over the weekend at a local farmer’s market; it’s so good. We also picked up those little pickling cucumbers, which I love, and I cut them all up yesterday.

I’ve been on a plum and peach thing lately. Have y’all tried the donut peaches? I bought 2 one day and ate both of them the same day. They care smaller but so good.

• Colleen

July 7, 2022 at 5:06 pm

@jenc Plums and peaches – have them in my fridge all summer. I often enjoy mixing it into cottage cheese.

• jen-cueva

July 8, 2022 at 1:02 pm

I have about five plums in my fridge now but no peaches. I almost bought cottage cheese for Manny, it’s not on my favorites list, but I forgot.

I know many like peaches or pineapples in cottage cheese, though. I didn’t realize the Simply brand has a peach one. I like the lemonade and limeades.

Have you tried those donut peaches? They are so sweet and juicy. Try one if you can get your hands on them.

• Colleen

July 8, 2022 at 3:31 pm

No, I never heard of donut peaches @jenc. I will keep an eye out for them! I discovered white peaches a few summers ago. Those are really sweet and juicy too!

• jen-cueva

July 11, 2022 at 12:59 pm

Oh yes, @colleensteele, I had a white peach a few weeks ago. I don’t find them as often. They are a hit or miss, kind of like the donut peaches. Usually, I only see a few at a time. Last week, they were out.