Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Treatments and Therapies When was the last time you cleaned out your medicine cabinet?

• Colleen Steele

April 17, 2024 at 4:58 pm

Great idea for a topic @jen-cueva ! While clearing out my home in WA I still had PH medication to dispose of! I am still holding on to some transplant medication even though they are close to expiration. Obviously I would never allow Cullen to use something expired but I struggle with tossing medication just like I do with taxes over 10 years old and other such important papers.

I worry, “What if I need to know that medication in the future”? Obviously easy solution to that is maintaining a bind and/or taking a picture of the bottle and medication before tossing. But I think the bigger issue I have is tossing medication someone else might be struggling with insurance to provide. Know what mean?

• jen-cueva

April 18, 2024 at 12:26 pm

Hi, @Colleen. I understand your worry and reasoning for keeping those meds. I’ve done the same for years. Unfortunately, some of mine were unopened and expired, and I kept them. But I worried others may need them. I could help one PHriend once, but those weren’t expired. Her new insurance gave her the runaround, and she had been on the medication for over a year.

So, thanks to needing less stuff to fill my overflowing cabinets, I went through mine recently. These treatments cost so much, so it’s no surprise that we hang onto them.