Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Where Do You Go to Get Away and Refresh?

• Where Do You Go to Get Away and Refresh?

Posted by jen-cueva on August 2, 2020 at 2:06 pm

Yesterday my hubby and I took a short drive towards Galveston Island. We were hoping to do this for several weeks, but the weather did not permit. But, despite the rain and clouds yesterday, we decided to take that drive.

I am so happy that we did as the rain took a break just long enough for us to put our toes in the sand and water. We were not dressed for a beach day because of the weather, but I am grateful as this short break was enough for me to refresh.

Living with PH and the challenges of the world today, it helps us mentally to get away and refresh. Where do you get away and refresh?

At times, my back yard by the pool or in the pool helps. What about you? Let’s talk about this.

Dawn replied 3 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Dawn

August 2, 2020 at 4:38 pm

@jenc, I don’t often take drives or trips (except for Johns Hopkins), but for me being around the horses is darn near always a way to get myself feeling better about things in general. What might start out as a sort of ‘off’ day that I don’t really feel like going anywhere, even on a day I’m to go to the farm, ends up being much more relaxed once I get myself there. I also find that just sitting on the swing on my deck with my two dogs works too. Just watching the birds and other animals, hearing and seeing the air moving through the trees, watching clouds relaxes me. Especially with the medical issues, these things help remind me that the people, pets, and things that have long been so important to me are what is important. I am not going to let my medical issues make me miss out on those things until I have no choice in what happens. I have been having a growing desire to be around water lately. I’ll soon go spend some time at a local park that has access to a creek, or one that has access to water & ducks that love to be fed! I’m glad you had the chance to be in the sand and water!

• Colleen

August 3, 2020 at 2:35 pm

Yes! I was so happy to hear @jenc that you and your hubby were able to make that trip to the beach! I can’t think of a better way to refresh your mind and spirit!

I like taking my dog and cat for walks to the park. Yup, I said cat. My husband bought me a cat stroller this weekend! Cullen now refers to me as the crazy cat lady. I don’t care how odd it looks, I’m enjoying it and believe it or not, the cat is too!

• Colleen

August 3, 2020 at 2:38 pm

@dawnt nature and animals are my favorite way of unwinding too! I love hearing about how much your animals bring you joy, especially the horses. We have a duck pond walking distance from our house and that is where I take my pets when we go for walks. It’s the best!

• jen-cueva

August 3, 2020 at 5:47 pm

@dawnt, the horses and the farm sound like such a refresher and much needed in the climate that we live in. I love being out back when it is nice and listen to the birds, too. Water has always been special for me as I have grown up by water most of my life. We are about 10 minutes to the lake and about 20- 25 minutes from Galveston Island.

You mention ducks and the ponds. That reminds me of my late mother-in-law. We always would feed the ducks at the pond. Locally, about 5 minutes from me was a park with a pond with ducks and turtles. I love turtles. Sadly, the last time we drove by, it was under construction and no pond.

Do you also like wind chimes when you are out on your swing? I love swings, I do not have one here, but I do have windchimes.

• jen-cueva

August 3, 2020 at 6:12 pm

Thanks, @colleensteele, OMG I love that cat stroller. I need to see that. I love that you have a duck pond that you can walk to. I want to start taking short walks and alternate between walking hile pushing my wheelchair and sitting.

Nature is so peaceful, and I would love to get out more and enjoy it. As soon as we get some answers and a plan of care, I can start that, hopefully.

I love that you are loving, being the crazy cat lady. Even better, the cat is enjoying the stroller, too. Plus, you are getting your exercise, win-win!

• Dawn

August 3, 2020 at 9:10 pm

@jenc, I do have windchimes on my deck, usually multiple ones! I also have a couple in the house at the kitchen window and at the front door. Most enjoyable on my deck is a pair of small grey birds that made a home of a ‘decorative’ birdhouse I made years ago and have come back year after year. They know me, and the boys (and my prior dog that passed away), well enough that they’ll fly back and forth feeding the batches of babies each year. I love that! One of the birds, not sure if it’s the mom or dad, will also often stare at me through the little round opening when I let the dogs out last thing at night before going to bed. I talk to him/her until the dogs are done, and of course think they understand what I’m saying! Their trust honors me.

@colleensteele, my one neighbor lets their cat out on a leash so she can lay in the grass and watch the birds at their bird feeder. My other newer neighbor has a little tent that has no bottom that she moves from spot to spot in the yard so her cat can have some outdoor time. With seeing more people out walking since covid19 restrictions started, I’ve seen a few people with the covered strollers pushing their pets around. You are not alone!!

• jen-cueva

August 4, 2020 at 9:32 am

Awesome, @dawnt, I so love to hear and watch the windchimes. I had a huge one before we moved into this house about 6 years ago. We accidentally left them, and when we went back, they were gone. I was so upset. My hubby was not as upset, and he was not a huge fan of the noises that one made. It was a bit loud, hehe.

Watching the birds and talking to them, I get. We have had a momma bird build a nest in the rafter of our deck cover for the last few years. I often see the babies up there and talk to them, too. So, call us the crazy bird ladies, I guess, hehe.

Thanks for sharing. I think if you have not yet read it, @robin-webster shared last week a description of her serenity garden. That sounded like a fantastic place to have to enjoy. Do you have anything like that outside?

• Dawn

August 7, 2020 at 4:39 pm

@jenc, I don’t have a serenity garden, but I have lots of flowers around my house. My mom was amazing with growing everything, and she helped with all my landscaping when I bought my house. I’ve never had the green thumb that she had, but I love even what I have surrounding the house. One of my wind chimes is very large one. It hangs by my front door, and when I have the door open and there is a breeze it will do its’ thing. I usually end up bumping it when I leave the house, too, so it gets used!