Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Which compliments have you found most helpful on your PH journey?

• Which compliments have you found most helpful on your PH journey?

Posted by jen-cueva on January 22, 2024 at 12:50 pm

In honor of National Compliment Day on January 24th, let’s talk about compliments. 

Compliments have the power to boost confidence and uplift our moods. But what about those unintentional comments that leave us feeling frustrated and angry? Unfortunately, we’ve all experienced both sides of the spectrum.

So, let’s talk about this! Which compliments have you found most empowering on your PH journey? And which ones have left a bitter taste in your mouth? Please share your thoughts!

jen-cueva replied 3 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • jen-cueva

January 23, 2024 at 3:46 pm

For me, I am not the best at accepting compliments. But when someone says something unintentional that “irks” me, I dwell on it a bit. But my tolerable level of comments varies when I’m not feeling great.

One compliment that continues to sting today is when I was diagnosed. My mom said she was happy it was me (not my sisters) diagnosed because I can get through it. Maybe it was meant to be a positive, but I didn’t take it so well.

What about y’all? Have you heard comments in the past that stung but now have softened a bit?

• Barbara Thompson

January 23, 2024 at 3:47 pm

I’ve been told that I’ve saved more than one person on my 23 yer journey. I’ve been complimenting on talking to others about PH.

• jen-cueva

January 23, 2024 at 3:52 pm

That’s an excellent compliment to take, @Barbara Thompson! Yes, I never thought about the many compliments I receive in the PH and rare disease community. I’m almost 19 years old with PH, so thanks for reminding me of these simple yet powerful compliments. Anyone who benefits from me sharing my story is a compliment in itself.

I was overthinking and allowing my brain to wander and get lost on this one. 💜