Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Oxygen Users Which DME Company Have You Found Most Helpful?

• Which DME Company Have You Found Most Helpful?

Posted by jen-cueva on October 14, 2021 at 5:37 pm

As we are planning for relocation, it may be prime time for me to switch my durable medical equipment (DME) companies. I have had Apria for years for my oxygen supplies. But since they have closed their local branches, the customer service has been lacking, to put it nicely.

I may have to stay with Apria and switch once my new insurance starts. Here I know they preferred Apria.

I know much use larger companies like Lincare and Apria and others prefer the local smaller companies. Have you had a positive or negative experience with any specific DME provider?

If so, did you switch to another company? Let’s talk about the pros and cons of the larger and smaller companies that provide our oxygen.

jill-upshaw replied 2 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • carol-volckmann

October 25, 2021 at 7:37 pm

Hey Jen, just saw your question. I am not on supplment oxygen but when we were traveling in our motorhome for a year and I came down with pneumonia, Lincare was great. When I got out of the hospital they had already delivered an oxygen generator and individual travel bottles to the coach. So, my only experience has been with Lincare and they were very helpful ????.

• jen-cueva

October 27, 2021 at 7:27 pm

Thanks, @cdvol3gmail-com, no worries. An apology is never needed. You have had a ton on your plate, sweet lady. I have Apria at the moment and no concerns yet. But I already have the name of the branch manager here and one through a representative who was kind and offered her direct line if I need anything.

If I do, I plan on switching to Linxaire. Although in the SD support group Facebook page, they reported Lincare and Apria is the same here pretty much. But here, the customer service calls go directly to the local office, not to an office overseas which the Houston office did after closing so many locations.

I’m happy to report all positives thus far. They got my supplies delivered on Saturday midday so that I would be here, on my time. I have nothing but positives so far with them, and I have spoken with them about 3-4 times getting set up, etc.

• jill-upshaw

October 28, 2021 at 2:18 pm

Not an Apria fan. Dealt with them a lot with my parents and said bye-bye and not again….unless I have no choice. I use Aerocare and so far, they have been really good.

• jen-cueva

November 1, 2021 at 2:52 pm

Hi @upshtcx, I am with Apria now. I have not had any issues with them here yet. The kind lady in customer service here told me that most are going back to routing their calls to the local branch instead of the call center. That makes a big difference or has for me in the past.

I have not heard of Aerocare either. Is that a smaller company? Once our insurance changes early next year, I may have to change; we will see. I will try to remember this when the time comes.

• jill-upshaw

November 1, 2021 at 3:05 pm

I think Apria depends on which office you get. The one my parents had was a nightmare. It was in Illinois. Aerocare is a national company just not as big as Apria.Good luck on your move. A change may just be great.

• Colleen

October 29, 2021 at 2:11 pm

@upshtcx I’m not familiar with Aerocare (thought I had used them all at some point) but my son had Apria for a few years. I recall having issues with them until I found one rep who was great so I asked for her every time I called.

• jill-upshaw

November 1, 2021 at 3:07 pm

Aerocare is a national company but they have small offices also. I deal with the small office.