Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Oxygen Users Who has the highest oxygen flow rate?

• Who has the highest oxygen flow rate?

Posted by stephanie-mitchell on February 4, 2022 at 6:49 pm

For members who use oxygen, what is your current oxygen flow rate? What was it when you started on oxygen and has it increased as your disease has progressed?

I started out on 2lpm and as my disease has progressed, I’ve had it upped. I’m currently on 10lpm. I have a liquid oxygen system with a large reservoir that goes through a valve that converts it to 50psi gaseous oxygen that then goes to my ventilator. Very similar setup that’s used in the hospital.

jen-cueva replied 4 months, 3 weeks ago 5 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Colleen

February 4, 2022 at 7:00 pm

@stephanie my son’s oxygen rate kept rising as his PH progressed. In his last few months before transplant he was at a very high rate for a child (and this was in the hospital) but the mask played a part in that. Most people, especially children seem to prefer the nasal canula but Cullen preferred the mask. You do lose some of the oxygen when you wear a mask so I think that played a part…but not entirely, with his PH progression he definitely needed more assistance. His team monitored his oxygen use closely because receiving too much can also cause problems.

• stephanie-mitchell

February 5, 2022 at 5:59 pm

Hi Colleen. Before I had my trach, I’d often use an oxygen mask as I wanted to give my nose a rest from the high flow nasal cannula. I found the oxygen mask to be quite comfortable to wear and would wear it for long periods of time, especially it I thought I wouldn’t need to talk much as the mask kinda muffles your voice.

• Colleen

February 7, 2022 at 11:53 pm

@stephanie that is true, the mask tends to muffle voices. Cullen was in 7th grade when he started using oxygen 24/7 and I know he felt frustrated because his teachers would often ask him to repeat himself.

Thank you for being open to sharing your experiences with us and I hope in turn have been helping you.

Since Cullen isn’t on oxygen anymore I can’t give answer your initial question. I hope some of our members will address it for you.

• jen-cueva

February 7, 2022 at 4:18 pm

Excellent questions, @stephanie-. The highest flow rate for me at home has been 6 liters. I can understand how you like the mask. I think it also depends on what type of mask one is using. Some are thinner, and others that are pretty bulky. Do you have a particular style you prefer when using masks?

• stephanie-mitchell

February 7, 2022 at 8:10 pm

Hi Jen. I was using a Hudson brand oxygen mask. It’s your classic looking mask that’s used in the hospital. Very comfortable and worked well at my flow rate of 10 lpm.

• Colleen

February 7, 2022 at 11:57 pm

I can’t remember the kind Cullen was using. He selected him from his oxygen provider after trying several on. The hospital didn’t have that kind of mask which would stress him out. His doctor was always understanding and would make an acceptation for him to use his home mask when admitted. I’m guessing due to the epidemic there is no way he would get away with that today.

• jen-cueva

February 8, 2022 at 4:58 pm

Thanks, @stephanie flor sharing your mask brand with us. I’m happy that you found one that works well with your high rate of oxygen. I’ve used a few different at times. But many have been too large, so ill-fitting masks allow so much oxygen to escape. The best one was once at an Urgent Care when I had bronchitis and needed nebulizer treatments and oxygen at once. It was small enough and not as restricting as some. I wish I knew the name of that brand.

So true, @colleensteele; I doubt that would slip through during the pandemic. I usually use my tubing since it’s a micro-cannula. The ones at the hospital are too large for my nose( the nasal prongs). Last summer, my previous hospitalization was when they said I had to use theirs. This made no sense because I had been dropped off and waiting for hours in the ER with my own before they took it away upstairs.

• Cris Dingman

January 17, 2023 at 3:04 pm

Slightly off topic, but close. I have a home concentrator and a portable for going out. I have noticed that my portable lately has not been keeping up with my needs. I have an Inogen G3 which I think only goes to 3 lpm, but pulsed flow. Does anyone know of a portable that is more powerful than that. Do they go up to 5 lpm or would that be like dragging the car around with you?

• jen-cueva

January 18, 2023 at 12:08 pm

Hey @crisincincy, it’s great to see you on the forums. How have you been? How were your holidays?

Ironically, I was at a local oxygen provider company last Friday because my Inogen G3 needed replacing the columns. They were on backorder, and my machine was alarming often. I had many appointments, so we found this small local place. They were great. But the nice lady told me that the Inogen G3 would be discontinued. They do have a G5 which will go to 6 liters. The battery last longer, too. It weighs about 4.7 pounds. You can see if you can trade yours in for the newer one; I will when the columns start going out again. I spend $150 on the new columns, so I need to use them.

She did say that the owner may take my trade since they do that and will give me credit. Maybe you can do that if you own yours. If you rent it, ask your provider if they can get you the G5. Here’s some info on it. However, my Inogen goes to 4. They have a smaller one, too, but it doesn’t go to 4.

Also, I believe it was called a Philips Respironics SimplyGoMini, which goes to 5 liters. One of these may work better for you. I’m maxed out with my G3, too. You can check out their website here, it does offer a helpful chart showing the POCS, and you can compare them and ask your DME company.

• Cris Dingman

January 18, 2023 at 12:32 pm

Jen, thanks so much for the info regarding higher flow rates for portables. I will see if they will do a trade-in. Even if I DO only get what a car dealership offers for the car trade, right? It’s better than nothing. The holidays were ok. I have to have hand surgery due to RA issues and tendons in my hand, so not much use of my hand. It is SO hard typing with my non-dominant hand. What a klutz! Sorry if I call you something rude because my fingers push the wrong letters…I can not lift the pinky or ring finger on my right hand, so need to have that taken care of. I’ll keep you posted and again, thanks for the valuable POC information.

• jen-cueva

January 18, 2023 at 12:37 pm

Hi @crisincincy, it’s my pleasure. I hope that will help you find the best POC for you. Yes, like a car dealer, but anything for trade is better than letting it sit when you can’t use it. The other idea is to sell it to someone yourself if you want to do that to see if you can get more to put towards a new one.

I’m sorry about your surgery for RA on your hand. Oh no, I’ll excuse you if you start calling us ugly names. But only until you recover from surgery, though. Hehe.

Also, please keep us posted so we can support you when you have that surgery. Good luck with your search for a new POC.

• debbie-moore

November 1, 2023 at 2:17 pm

I just increased to 8 lpm. How do others go out and do things? My portable only goes to 6 and the tech told me the big canisters would only last 30 minutes each. Any thoughts?

• jen-cueva

November 3, 2023 at 1:15 pm

Oh no, @Debbie Moore, this is a change for you. I’m so sorry. I was on 6 liters after COVID-19, and they wouldn’t allow me to go home until I was on to 6 liters. But I do know others use higher flows. But as you mention, it’s challenging to get out and do anything because you use so much so quickly.

What brought this on, my PHriend? Did I miss something? Maybe an update from you while I was out of town? I’ll look for a few other posts and tag you on the one that I’m thinking about.

I believe the Inogen 5 only goes to 6 liters, too. Did they offer you a high-flow rate home concentrator? Is this 24/7 or as needed with walking, etc?

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can do for you. Love, hugs, and prayers.