This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Colleen Steele 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
     Colleen Steele 
    Keymaster

I’m not asking this question to make anyone feel bad but to remind everyone that who you were before PH is as important as the person who you are now! Who were you before you were diagnosed with PH? What were you interests, hobbies and goals? How did those days make a positive impact on the days following your PH diagnosis? What do you miss but think of fondly?

My son was very athletic and probably would have pursued soccer and baseball throughout his school years. He doesn’t talk about his athletic days and doesn’t like old photo’s of himself playing sports. I understand the feeling of loss that he has experienced but I believe that those days are still a part of who he is now. Every moment of our lives count and contributes to the person that we become. Don’t let PH steal your memories!

On a positive note, my son was always mature for his age and a deep thinker. PH enhanced that part of his personality even further and it’s made him the intelligent, thoughtful person who he is now.

Share your thoughts on this topic. We would love to hear your story!

Brittany Foster 
    Keymaster

I actually think I wrote a columns about this awhile ago! I will have to look back and find it. It was about my athletic days and what sports and playing hockey taught me in my life. I will never forget the discipline that sports gave me. Looking back is really difficult for me too and I can understand what your son might go through emotionally when he looks at old sports pictures of himself. To me, my hockey days were the strongest days of my life. My body looked COMPLETELY different, my face was different, my smile was different. Honestly it was my entire life and it was something that I also wanted to go to college and play but my health unfortunately had other plans for me. Many of my doctors will state now “I don’t know how you did it for all those years without something serious happening” and I honestly have to thank WHOEVER is out there watching over me because it’s true that I am lucky I made it as far as I did in sports without a serious complication.

Colleen Steele 
      Keymaster

Brittany, now that you mention it, I remember reading that article! Sorry, I didn’t mean to duplicate your topic. I happened upon some old pictures of my son in his baseball and soccer uniforms. They made me smile but I don’t think my son appreciates them. PH has stolen so much from him. I hope some day he can at least regain his appreciation for what he was capable of in the past.

He could do sports now but he feels like it’s too late. In his mind if you didn’t play throughout school then it’s opportunity lost.

Brittany Foster 
        Keymaster

Hey Colleen,
        no need to apologize at ALL! It was a column post that I had created awhile ago and I don’t think we ever actually discussed it much in the forums before but it’s a really good topic to bring up. I struggle a lot with moving past who I was before being diagnosed with all of the things I’ve been dealing with recently. It takes a lot from us (even though we gain such a different perspective). I get what your son must be going through with sports though. I feel like once it has been stopped for so long it almost feels like it’s another thing we lost. Not sure if he feels the same way, but that’s how I view talk about ever going back to hockey. I just know I wouldn’t be playing at the same level I used to and that just is hard.

Colleen Steele 
      Keymaster

I can only imagine how you must feel. It must be so hard not to think about what could have been. The truth of it is, it really isn’t fair. Saying this doesn’t make the loss any easier but what I tell my son is that since giving up sports, he discovered other talents and gifts that he might otherwise not have come to realize.

So how are you feeling since getting out of the hospital?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account