Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Who would be interested in starting a “book club” chat here?

• Who would be interested in starting a “book club” chat here?

Posted by brittany-foster on April 3, 2020 at 2:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I know that we are all looking for positive ways to distract our minds, especially lately. Jen Cueva @jenc and I were discussing a book that we were both reading called “Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine” and I thought it would be a great idea to give people the option to read the same book for the month (or over a 2 week time period) and then we can discuss it in a forum topic.

Who would be interested in having a forum topic for “Book talk” and we can discuss books that we are reading? If others are interested in reading the same book that would be cool to be able to talk about the book together too. Or to just give good recommendations for books and then have conversations about them.

The next book that I am really interested in reading is: “Little Fires Everywhere”. It is also a Hulu series so after reading the book I would love to watch the series and give myself something to do !

Let me know some recommended books that you would like to include in the book selections and we can have some conversations during the week about this and can announce the first book that we will be reading at the end of the month!

jen-cueva replied 4 years ago 3 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • jen-cueva

April 3, 2020 at 2:13 pm

Great job, @brittany-foster, you beat me to it! Oh, that should be a great book, I did see that it was a series and it looks amazing!

As I said, I can usually only read one book at a time, and I am slow. How many pages and/or chapters do you try to read daily? How fast do y’all read who may be interested? For me, it usually depends on my mood and how good the book is.

• Colleen

April 3, 2020 at 3:48 pm

@brittany-foster I love that idea! @jenc I was always an avid reader but I’m afraid that’s not been the case for a while. My problem is I get distracted too easily. It’s hard for me to lose myself in a book when I’m still listening to what everyone in the house is doing, in case someone needs help. I think it’s part of my PTSD. I do still love reading and this would inspire me to maybe do it more often again.

We could approach this the way we do all of our topics. You can respond when and if you want to. Just skip over the topics for a while in case there might be any spoilers.

I haven’t read Eleanor yet. I think two of you and @ksmith610 just gave me my next book to read.

• brittany-foster

April 4, 2020 at 10:15 am

@colleensteele it’s such a great book! When I finished it I was so happy at the end. It was like a “proud moment” for the character and I honestly haven’t felt that way about a main character since Harry Potter finished hahahaha. But seriously, it is amazing and you need to read it!

@jenc I think it definitely depends on how I’m feeling. This past week I ended up finishing the book I was reading and tried to read a little bit each night before I went to bed. I spent anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half reading each night. I can get through a little over 60 pages in an hour, even more if the book is a quick read ! So a 300 page book would realistically take me about a week to read unless it’s one that I stay up all night reading because I need to finish it. Usually this is how psych thrillers are for me because you just need to know what happens!

• brittany-foster

April 4, 2020 at 10:16 am

@ksmith610 I just finished it ! Not giving away any spoilers for those that might want to read it, but weren’t you shocked by the ending!? I did NOT see that coming the whole time.

• jen-cueva

April 4, 2020 at 2:15 pm

@ksmith610, I cannot wait to finish this book. That is a coincidence that you already read this book. As @brittany-foster and I have been reading it. Brittany had it a while before me. I need to read more today to catch up with y’all. Now that the two of you have finished it, I am even more anxious to get to the end. I have quite a ways to go. Hehe

• jen-cueva

April 4, 2020 at 2:23 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I, too, find that I am often unable to focus on a book. I read best outside or when no one is home, Hehe. I am sure that any PTSD makes it tough to concentrate on anything. Would you like to share more about that? We are here for your support.

It is is a good book, it helps, but still, I find that I am often easily distracted, and that makes for slower reading. I do like your idea of not “peeking” while we read. I do think a book club would help inspire us to learn more. Also, so you know, on HH, we are about to start a book, too. I just received mine in the mail from Amazon. Several are reading it online.

Now, I need to read once I get off of my laptop. I am excited.

• Colleen

April 7, 2020 at 7:25 pm

Thanks @ksmith610! We will add this to the list. I think @brittany-foster plan is to look over all the suggestions and by the end of the month select a book from the suggestions for us all to read and discuss. I appreciate that you offered one that is free and easy to get.

I still need to purchase and read Eleanor! The 3 of you have really peaked my interest about that book.

• Colleen

April 7, 2020 at 8:32 pm

@ksmith610 that is good to know! Thanks for the tip!

• jen-cueva

April 7, 2020 at 8:53 pm

Excellent, thanks for sharing @ksmith610. I’ve seen that book on Goodreads, too. I didn’t know about that site. I’ll look into it. That’s a great share as I believe we have many readers here.

Yes, I think that we will decide on the book title and I’m hoping that others will join in, too.

Thanks for that suggestion and tip.

• brittany-foster

April 8, 2020 at 11:04 am

@ksmith610 Thank you for that recommendation. Although I am a murder, crime, mystery and psych thriller book kind of girl! I did enjoy reading something not as “psych thriller” keep me up at night style. That’s why reading Eleanor was a good break from that. I will have to look into reading this one that you recommend and will check out the website. I have a hard time reading from my tablet, I think I need to get one with a better screen. Anyone have any good tablets to recommend or a good brand that doesn’t have a lot of glare? @colleensteele you definitely need to read about Eleanor Oliphant. She is quite the character ! @jenc did you end up finishing it yet? Let me know what you thought about the ending.

• jen-cueva

April 8, 2020 at 12:45 pm

Hey @brittany-foster, almost done, I hope to finish today. I have been a tad preoccupied for the last few days. I am so excited to get to the end, Although I will be sad to be done with Eleanor. -Hehe

I do know that reading on my iPad has been easier to read articles than my Kindle. I had had my Kindle a few days, and it was too small. I have not tried reading a book yet on my iPad, just articles so far. But I do have a few on the Kindle app that I can try.

• brittany-foster

April 9, 2020 at 7:37 am

@jenc the thing that I worry about with reading from the ipad is the glare. I think they have anti-glare protectors for them though or a cover that is good. Do you know those good kindles or nooks that I am talking about that have the anti reflection screens that almost look like a paper book (minus the covering and thickness). But the screen is as good as paper. I feel like sometimes it’s the reflection that gets to me from these devices and I can’t get myself to read from them. Even in college, I had to print out all my computer reading to physically hold it, write on it, highlight it. I’m still very much a pen and paper kind of girl in so many ways and a book person for sure.

• jen-cueva

April 9, 2020 at 10:41 am

Hey @brittany-foster, you can get the anti-glare screen protector to see if that helps. I have not held one of those Nooks/Kindles but have seen them online. As I mentioned, I have only read articles on mine so far because I like the actual book in my hand. Too funny, I also like to highlight in my books still. I just stopped doing that recently because I donate some of my books once I read them. Do you keep all of your paper books?

Oh, Have y’all read, “Where the Crawdads Sing” yet? That looks like another good one that is on Reese’s Book List, too.

FYI, less than 100 pages left, so planning to finish Eleanor today, sometime. I will let y’all know.

• brittany-foster

April 9, 2020 at 2:46 pm

@jenc I haven’t read that one yet! I really want to though because it is part of the book club! Maybe that can be part of ours too? let me know your final thoughts when you are done with it. I had SO much pride for the character and the WHOLE time I did not expect the ending at all. It was a good twist actually and really brought things into perspective about her.

• jen-cueva

April 9, 2020 at 4:32 pm

I have not finished it just yet, @brittany-foster, but will. I keep getting distracted. But, it has already twisted a tad, so I am excited to finish it.

Yes, that one sounds really good, too.

• jen-cueva

April 10, 2020 at 1:42 pm

Wow, @brittany-foster and @ksmith610! I finished Eleanor last night! It did surprise me. I did not see that coming at all. What a mind twist! Did y’all find that you wanted to read more when you finished? I was like, I want more Eleanor! Awesome read!

I bought Robin William’s book for $1 on Amazon, so it is the first book that I am going to try and read on my Ipad. @brittany-foster, my hubby told me that my iPad has something built in it that is supposed to make it easier to read on it. We bought it last year, so whatever model that is, LOL. I will let you know how I feel about reading on it. I already know that I will miss holding a book.

Once we decide on a book that all wants to read, I will purchase that one. Anyone else care to join in and suggest a book that we can all read and discuss in the forums?

• jen-cueva

April 19, 2020 at 11:18 am

Hi y’all, I just wanted to pop in and remind everyone that we were planning a PH Forum Book Club Chat if anyone is interested. Please let us know if this is something that y’all would enjoy. We also need to start deciding on a title as this month is flying by.

Once we have a few more suggestions, @brittany-foster will help us decide on the title of the book that we will read. What types of books are you reading? Have y’all read anything interesting lately that you think we all could enjoy? Share the titles and brief description here, no spoilers!