Tagged: 

• Why You Should Quit Smoking!

Posted by Pulmonary Hypertension News Moderator on July 11, 2018 at 7:34 am

Everyone knows that smoking is extremely bad for your health and contributes to the development of many chronic diseases and illnesses. However, if you do smoke you also know how difficult it is to stop. That said, there is a long list of reasons to quit smoking and the sooner you quit, the sooner you can reap the health rewards and other advantages of being a non-smoker.

To help you get started, check out this list of reasons why you should quit smoking according to the American Cancer Society, the American Lung Association, and WebMD: 10 Reasons to Quit Smoking

Are you a smoker? Have you tried to quit? If you were successful, please share your tips!

Thanush Poulsen replied 5 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Thanush Poulsen

August 23, 2018 at 4:02 am

Hi,

I agree with you that smoking is a harmful habit and it has nothing good for our health. I believe that there are no reasons to start smoking. For my shame, however, I smoked for 5 years. I am not proud of it, and I’m thankful to my family and friends who’ve supported me when I decided to quit.

My quitting adventure started from the VapingDaily articles on how to quit (here is one of them https://vapingdaily.com/quit-smoking/home-remedies-to-quit-smoking/). I read a lot of different literature and watched many videos on YouTube with useful recommendations (such as this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnSEbLX94Tk). Be honest, it was very hard not to smoke and I felt depressed, angry, and irritated. But every person around me supported me and gave me strength to stand it. Also, I had a really great motivation. I wanted a child and my girlfriend told me if I quit, we could try. So, for the sake of my future children I struggled and succeeded.

Now, I am 9 months nicotine-free. It was not easy but I did it. And everyone can!
    Currently, my girlfriend is my wife and we are waiting for our first baby.
    If you still believe that smoking is cool, you are fooled. It is cool to be healthy, fit, and do sports.

Hope, my story will inspire someone, and I help someone to quit.
    Good luck everyone!

• Brittany Foster

August 23, 2018 at 1:45 pm

Thanush,
      Thank you so much for sharing your own story with us. I personally have never smoked but really admire those who quit and are trying to quit. I know it isn’t easy on anyone (even those who are supporting those who quit). My boyfriend has tried to stop numerous times. He has a motivation to stop , but the anxiety, anger, and stress that comes along with it seems too much for him at a certain point. He also eats a TON when he is trying to stop. Did you eat more when you were trying to quit? I know a lot of people who had a similar struggle trying to stop.

• Thanush Poulsen

August 24, 2018 at 2:35 am

I really understand your boyfriend!
        Yes, the emotional side of quitting is very difficult to overcome. You are stressed and cannot calm down all the time. Everything irritates you. When you are looking for something to distract, it works not longer than for several hours (in most cases, less). So, sometimes, you need professional help like a psychotherapist.
        Regarding eating a lot, it is true. I also ate everything and all the time. For 2 month, I gained 10 kilos. And it is not a joke. But when my body used to live without cigs and my emotional state normalized, I lost that kilos. It took 2 months.

So, quitting is difficult but real)

• Brittany Foster

August 24, 2018 at 6:44 am

Thank you for the encouraging words Thanush. It’s true that emotional help must be beneficial. As with trying to break any addiction, unpleasant emotions seems to come more to the surface and you have to face them head on (which is extremely difficult, but possible !) I’m glad your body was able to get used to its “new normal” without cigarettes. Keep pushing forward !

• Thanush Poulsen

August 24, 2018 at 7:57 am

I hope that one day your boyfriend quit once and for all. I really wish him to find inner strength to do it. And I hope you will definitely help him!
        Everyone can do anything!