Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Teens and Young Adults Will you be a Freshman in high school or college in the Fall?

• Will you be a Freshman in high school or college in the Fall?

Posted by Colleen on July 29, 2019 at 10:53 am

Will you be starting out as a Freshman in high school or college in the Fall? If so, what are you doing to prepare for that in regard to your pulmonary hypertension? Have you notified the school of your health concerns and how did they react? What are they willing to do to help you and your needs? What are your biggest concerns in starting out this new chapter in your life and what are you most excited about?

Have you already been through the freshman experience and if so, what advice would you give other’s just starting out on this new adventure?

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Brittany Foster

July 30, 2019 at 8:50 am

Hi Colleen,
    Hard to even think about the fact that I started college 10 YEARS ago! I really seems like yesterday. I feel like my experience might be different from others though. I went to Providence College which was about 20 minutes away from my mom’s house. I lived on campus. At the time, the only thing that I was aware of having was my congenital conditions and my heart conditions. This is something that I made sure to tell the school nurse about. They also have plans in place if you need a 504 plan. If so, it would be important to get doctor notes and meet with a representative for accommodations for the school. Things like excused absences, having someone take notes for you if needed, recording lectures that you might miss, etc. Walking the campus especially in extreme weather was really hard for me to do. I was allowed to have a care on campus because of this but usually freshmen weren’t allowed to have this. I would recommend speaking with the nurse, medical staff on campus and letting them know about any conditions, speaking with disability services and accommodations, especially making sure to have a 504 plan in place for anything you think will be necessary to make academics as smooth as possible! Also, getting a lot of help to move things in! Moving is very taxing on the body !