Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Oxygen Users Workout motivation for those on oxygen

• Workout motivation for those on oxygen

Posted by brittany-foster on July 26, 2019 at 10:10 am

After my last thoracic surgery in May, I tried SO HARD to not have to use my oxygen as much. I was trying to convince myself, along with my medical team that I didn’t need it. Although I don’t need it 24/7, I DO need to wear it as much as I can tolerate and especially when I am being active. I was noticing symptoms after not wearing it. When I went to my primary care doctor recently, she had a very serious conversation with me about the need for oxygen and the fact that my body tissues will not heal and work the way they should if I don’t use it.

That being said, I know that I NEED some motivation from other oxygen users to workout and be proud of myself even WITH the oxygen on. If you are on Facebook, I created a Facebook space for those on oxygen who are looking to feel inspired, motivated, and encouraged to workout. You can post pictures of yourself rockin your tank and cannula, doing anything that counts as exercise or physical activity, memes that are encouraging, etc. I would love you to check out the group “Workin’ It With O2” Make sure to add the * ‘ * after workin’ to find the group! If you can’t find the group and would like to join, please let me know ! let’s show each other some LOVE and spread some POSITIVE VIBES

brittany-foster replied 4 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Carol alexander

July 26, 2019 at 12:51 pm

Well I wear oxygen at nite my oxygen just goes way down when I sleep but not enough to diagnose as sleep apnea. On 2mg of Adempas starting to feel side effects this time.hoping the Adempas well help me raise my oxygen level.i think iam headed for oxygen 24 7

• jen-cueva

July 28, 2019 at 11:32 am

Carol, are you feeling some positive results from your Adempas now? It may help your oxygen usage but it may not. This is something you can mention to your doctors if you’re still concerned about it. You want the best medication regimen for you and keeping your doctor updated is best.

• brittany-foster

July 30, 2019 at 9:48 am

Hi Carol,
      I’m sorry to hear this. How long ago were you tested for the sleep apnea? Are you using oxygen at night I’m assuming? I know that personally, a machine called a non invasive ventilation helped me a lot. I haven’t been able to use it as much lately because of the severe reflux I’ve been having post surgery, but it did really make an improvement in how I felt in the morning. I would suggest asking your PH doctors if they coud possibly give you another sleep study or a home sleep study test so you don’t have to repeat it in a lab. Depending on what the underlying diagnosis is, it is easier for them to order this type of equipment for you at night. Using it at night and using the BIPAP type machine even sometimes during the day lessens the amount of o2 that I need during the day. Definitely something to ask your medical team about and to try to advocate for !

• jen-cueva

July 28, 2019 at 11:28 am

Brittany, once again, you continue to inspire me.

I, too, agree with your PCP as I know that the oxygen is not just for our breathing. All of our organs, cells, and tissues require oxygen to keep our body going. It’s like a ”well-oiled” machine. I had a tough time wearing my oxygen when I was first diagnosed and still at times today. Like yourself, I find that if I just use it, I’ll feel the benefits.

I’m excited to be a part of your group. Tomorrow I can return to activity m so going to do my yoga, at least. I think your group will encourage me to do even more, as tolerated.

• brittany-foster

July 30, 2019 at 9:45 am

Jen,
      I’m so happy to have you in the group and to know that it will hopefully give you some type of encouragement. Just the past few days of having the group and creating it, I have realized all the strong individuals who are showing their oxygen and are getting out there and “working out”, however that looks for them! You really never know who you are inspiring and even what seems “simple” to you, may be what motivates others to do the same and just get some type of activity in! Anything counts . Keep up the great work. Can’t wait to see your pictures in the group rocking your o2 and showing others that these things CAN be done!