• Worsening reflux at night

Posted by Brittany Foster on July 10, 2020 at 12:01 pm

Hi all! Do you struggle with gastric reflux? If so, does this get worse for you when you sleep at night? For me, lately, the struggle has been really difficult with trying to manage my reflux pain and vomiting that goes along with the burning feeling in my chest. It gets worse at night even when using pillows to help keep me at an angle. Sometimes I will just have to coat my throat almost constantly with an antacid to make it go away. I am also on 2 antacids orally and was getting an antacid while I was on TPN management too through an IV. I am not sure what else there is to try or if there are any other tricks out there !

Hope you all are doing well ! 🙂

Love,

Britt

Colleen replied 3 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Colleen

July 10, 2020 at 12:24 pm

Thank you for this post! @brittany-foster I have big problems with reflux and my doctor wants me to have an endoscopy done – which I keep procrastinating on scheduling. I’m on prescribed pantoprozole and down tums, especially at night. I have to be vary careful what foods I eat close to bed time. Even drinking too much water before bed can give me issues. When Cullen was in the hospital recently I stayed overnight with him. I don’t know if it was the stress or what but my reflux was so severe it kept waking me with fluid coming out my nose. Has that happened to anyone? Really gross I know. Never happened to me before. I use the pillow trick too. So, I’m following this post because I could use some advice too.

Cullen is on two prescribed reflux meds and doesn’t experience problems too often. However, the unexplained chest pain he recently experienced has his transplant doctor concerned that he might have silent reflux. I never heard of this before until she mentioned it.

It’s called that because it doesn’t trigger the the usual symptoms of acid reflux, such as heartburn. Instead it can cause hoarseness, frequent throat-clearing, and coughing and sometimes chest pain and difficulty breathing. If he has another experience like that he might need testing done. Anyone ever hear of or experience silent reflux?