Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Research and Development Would you try this new inhaled treatment if available?

• Would you try this new inhaled treatment if available?

Posted by jen-cueva on June 17, 2020 at 12:57 pm

This is a new nebulizer, inhaled treatment in the pipeline for PH patients. Imatinib is a medication used in cancer treatments. The previous clinical trials with the oral form do not sound interesting to me. This is mainly because of the side effects listed in this article.

It is always amazing how many treatments are available for PH. Read this article and let me know what you think about this one.

If this new inhaled treatment was available to you, would you try it for your PH? Why or why not? Let’s talk about it.

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Colleen

June 17, 2020 at 4:29 pm

I think it’s a good thing that new options are always being considered but it takes bravery to be a patient willing to try them. As you know, my son had pediatric PH. PH treatments are always created and tested with adults in mind and not children. For this reason Cullen’s doctor never allowed him to try new treatments without giving it time to see how adults respond to it. Like you, if I were an adult PH patient the first thing I would look at is the possible side-effects, but then again, what PH treatment doesn’t come with a lot of warnings?

• jen-cueva

June 18, 2020 at 5:17 pm

@colleensteele, I can imagine as Cullen was a child, it was difficult not to be able to try new treatments. I thought that they would have more available for our PH kids by now. But, on the other hand, having adults try them first is a good idea.

Yes, all treatments have some side effects. I think it is weighing the pros and cons. Do most of you take medications just because your PH doctor orders it? Or, do you ask about side effects and costs first?