• Would you utilize Amazon healthcare services?

Posted by jen-cueva on April 12, 2023 at 12:31 pm

With a few simple clicks, we can order almost anything on Amazon, and items could deliver the same or the next day. You probably heard they also now have a pharmacy. I browsed the site and figured they wouldn’t carry my PH medications.

However, I looked up Revatio, and it popped up, as did sildenafil, the generic, which is much cheaper. If you click the Revatio link above, you’ll be shocked at the difference in cost.

Now, they are branching into a new territory, Amazon Clinic. Their clinic site states, “Healthcare is only a message away. No appointments or videos are needed.” This sounds simple, but is it enough?

Would you utilize Amazon healthcare services? Why or why you’ve? If you’ve already had experience using it before? Please share your experience.

jen-cueva replied 1 year ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Carol Volckmann

April 17, 2023 at 4:57 pm

OMG,  Amazon is really taking over 😫 the world and shutting down so many businesses from clothing, food, tools etc etc…. and now your health care!

We just want on their site and looked at their prescription prices. They may very well be competitive in the retail  business, but … if you are able to have a good drug plan I don’t think they are able to compete. They do not accept Medicare or the supplement insurance. Big however, knowing Amazon, they will figure that out.

Right now for me the one area I would use them – if I need supplies for my ostomy and I need it right away, I would use them. As for my PAH, I would not.

If you do not have a drug plan or insurance, I do think they would  be a good resource.

They have become the definition of “monopoly”.

• jen-cueva

April 18, 2023 at 12:44 pm

Hi @cdvol3gmail-com, yes, Amazon certainly is taking over. I agree with you for anyone who doesn’t have coverage; this could be a way to help reduce costs on healthcare needs.

You mention ordering ostomy supplies if needed quickly. I also have ordered my oxygen supplies from Amazon at times. Even with my insurance, Amazon beats my copays for things like nasal cannulas compared to Apria, which my insurance uses for these supplies.

Also, I wouldn’t suggest Amazon clinics for someone with a complicated health history. But others do offer a ton of resources.

Thanks for offering your thoughts on this topic. It looks like Amazon is finding ways to take over anything we need. Have you heard of anyone talk in your circle who may have used them?

• Carol Volckmann

April 18, 2023 at 4:13 pm

The first I heard about Amazon’s medical clinic etc… was from your new topic. I have not heard about this from anyone I know. Of course most folks in my circle are all on Medicare and supplement insurance.

I agree, this may be helpful for folks without insurance. I also agree fir some supplies Amazon does beat our co-pays as well. That is worth looking into. 👌

• jen-cueva

April 19, 2023 at 1:33 pm

Hi @cdvol3gmail-com, I read an article in a health publication about the Amazon clinic. It was the first I heard of this service. However, I wasn’t surprised. But, I worry that this virtual medical care will leave many undiagnosed. COVID brought us this new option, which is great for some instances. However, I would prefer to see my healthcare team in person for most visits.

Many can probably get by virtual appointments. But I do wonder if they require some in-person visits at least annually.

• Randolph Reynolds

April 20, 2023 at 3:54 pm

Emphatically I would not use Amazon on line for any meds or medical recommendations.  I agree with the above, Amazon may see an opportuity in offereing such medical services but they should stay out of that business.  I have about the best medical coverage one can get.  Maybe Bezos and Jassy want to take over everything.  They can have the White House-would be an improvement.

Cheers

• jen-cueva

April 21, 2023 at 2:35 pm

Hi, @ripple76, thanks for sharing your thoughts on Amazon in healthcare services. Like you, I, too, will be sticking with my knowledgeable healthcare team.

But others may find this works for them. We do what we need to do, right?

I hope you are having a good week, my PHriend.