Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH Will You Take the COVID Vaccination When It Is Available?

• Will You Take the COVID Vaccination When It Is Available?

Posted by jen-cueva on September 17, 2020 at 10:50 am

I read an article in the New England Journal of Medicine discussing the COVID vaccine. There are so many questions and things to consider when creating a vaccine. Usually, a vaccine takes years. So obviously, the top question that most have is, will it be safe? Effectiveness is undoubtedly also of high importance.

Of course, those of us in the PH community take precautions each year with the flu and pneumonia shot as needed. We take precautions because our bodies are immuno-compromised.

If a vaccine was available today against COVID, would you take it? Why or why not? Let’s talk about this.

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 11 months ago 24 Members · 110 Replies
  • 110 Replies
  • Colleen

September 17, 2020 at 11:03 am

Good topic @jenc. My family has discussed this a lot lately. We are strong believers in vaccinations and flu shots but I think we are going to wait for a while on receiving anything to fight Covid. We are praying that a successful vaccine is found but being among the test subjects (so to speak) is just too risky for Cullen. I think for a while a vaccine will be like trading one unknown for another. What are your thoughts Jen?

• jen-cueva

September 17, 2020 at 11:18 am

I agree, @colleensteele. I am grateful that they will have a vaccine. But, I am not going to be one of the first to get it. I am nervous that they will develop this so quickly when others take years. It is difficult, but like you, we would wait a bit after seeing any effectiveness or kinks it may have.

On the one hand, I understand that technology will help speed things up. I just worry that they may miss a few steps by rushing it. Does that make sense?

• V.R. Peterson

September 17, 2020 at 3:26 pm

I’m going to wait a good, long while — at least a year or two. I want to make sure that they know about all the possible side effects. I got burned in ’76 when I got the Swine Flu vaccine, and they didn’t realize that the vaccine caused Epstein–Barr virus, which I got shortly after getting the vaccine. I also found out that during times of stress and illness, the virus can reactivate in a person’s body. It reactivated in mine about 10 years ago, and I got sicker than when I originally got the virus, and it lasted much longer than the first time.

• Clyde

January 20, 2021 at 10:09 am

The biggest misunderstanding about this vaccine is that it was rushed through and therefore unsafe. The approval process was the same as always. The difference is the wait time. At every step in the process it was sent to the front of the line. At any given time there are hundreds of drugs in the pie line. This vaccine was simply moved ahead. Waiting in line in no way enhances the safety of the drug.

• Vicki Kirkland Walker

September 17, 2020 at 4:33 pm

I took my flu shot today. I’m going to wait before taking the COVID vaccine. This has been developed too hurriedly for me. I want to see how it affects the ones who go first. So I will not line up to take the vaccine for awhile.

• Carol Volckmann

September 17, 2020 at 5:17 pm

Me too, me too, me too. I will wait for all the reasons above.I feel it is way to risky for the first year. I will get my flu shot and pneumonia booster in October. Stay well and safe everyone! ❤

• Dawn

September 17, 2020 at 6:35 pm

I agree with the concerns raised in prior posts. I understand the race to get a vaccine asap, but don’t want to be a test subject by getting it before it’s proven safe and effective. I would want my dr’s input as well, but won’t let their suggestions push me before I feel it’s safe. As on top of things as my dr’s seem to be I don’t think that will be an issue.

• anne

September 17, 2020 at 7:39 pm

I would be right behind the first responders and medical staff. By the time all of those have had the vaccine, if there were problems rising, we would start seeing them. I’m in my mid 70s.

• jen-cueva

September 18, 2020 at 9:45 am

Hi @mamabear007, I am sorry to hear that you developed Epstein Barr after the Swine flu vaccine. I did not remember that, but I did not get that one, either. I agree that I want the kinks to be ironed out and need to see that it is safe and will not harm than good. It is often such a debate to get these vaccines or not.

That is true about Epstein Barr. It stays dormant in your system and can be reactive when high levels of stress or other strain on your body. I have read several articles recently about EBV, saying that most of us will have it at one time or another in pour lives. This is the CDC about EBV because I can’t remember where I read the articles. But, in the last few months, this has been a hot topic among the rare disease community.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am sorry that this happened to you. How are you and the family doing?

• jen-cueva

September 18, 2020 at 9:49 am

Hi @vicki-kirkland-walker, great job on getting your flu shot! I agree; I think this will be too fast, so I will be waiting with you. Do you also get the pneumonia boosters? I know many doctors tend to have confusion about how often this one should be done.

@cdvol3gmail-com, I am with you on waiting. How often do you tend to get your pneumonia booster?

• jen-cueva

September 18, 2020 at 10:10 am

Hi @dawnt, thanks for bringing up an important factor. We do need to hear our doctors out, but ultimately the decision is ours, and we need to be sure that this is a time when we advocate for ourselves.

• jen-cueva

September 18, 2020 at 10:14 am

Hi, @annefox, thanks for sharing your thoughts. We all make decisions based on our own circumstances. I can respect your decision about wanting the vaccine. You and your medical team will make the best decisions for you. I would rather wait a bit before I get one.

Do you and your husband both get the flu shot each year? What about the pneumonia boosters? How often do your doctors do this?

How are you feeling this week? I haven’t seen you much. Did you check out the PF forums, too since you have both? Take care.

• Carol Volckmann

September 18, 2020 at 11:23 am

Hi Jen, I believe if you are 65 and over and have health issues you should have a pneumonia booster every 5 years so I will get mine this Oct along with a flu shot. I think if you are under 65 but have health issues I would ask my doctor if I should get a booster for pneumonia. Stay safe everyone.

• jen-cueva

September 21, 2020 at 9:46 am

Thanks for sharing, @cdvol3gmail-com. One of my doctors thinks that every 10 years is good for a pneumonia booster. Another says every 5 years, so I usually get mine in between 5-10 years. I do know that I did get one about 2 years ago while in the hospital. Isn’t it frustrating when your doctors disagree?

• anne

September 18, 2020 at 11:29 am

Yes, we both get our “old peoples” flu shot and we’ve had the pneumonia booster, but probably need to have the pneumonia booster again (forget to ask for it and not given it automatically by the MD)

I have my on line pulmonary appointment today and am getting a little nervous about it. Will it be different from my other pulmonologist? or enough different for me to be excited. I’ll ask for a breathing test to be included along with my CAT scan to check on my fibrosis. Also, I’ll ask him about pulmonary fibrosis.

Thank you for your caring.

• V.R. Peterson

September 18, 2020 at 12:24 pm

Thank you, @jenc. My family and I are doing well. My son is still working in his grocery store’s meat department, and my DIL is now working directly with COVID patients. I have to say that, right now, I’m more worried for her. We *know* she’s being exposed, though she does have PPE. As far as I know, my son isn’t. He stays mostly in the back and the freezer, so he’s not around customers as much as he used to be (thanks to his boss) — plus his store is now requiring customers to wear masks.

Thank you for the CDC’s link on EBV. I’m learning things that I didn’t previously know. Since I got the flu shot during my college years, I likely didn’t have EBV as a child.

• anne

September 18, 2020 at 2:28 pm

my new/old pulmonologist read my old CAT scan of 2018 and did not see fibrosis, just infection. He believes I have a lot of fluid in my lungs to cause my breathing problems. I’m due for a CAT scan next week and will see him again in a month. In the mean time, I’m to cut my fluid intake in half and my salt intake. Isn’t this weird?

• Carol Volckmann

September 18, 2020 at 2:44 pm

Hi Ann, your news that you do not have fibrosis is good news! It is good that they are going to do a CT scan, will your doctor be able to call you with the results rather than wait for a month to see him? Are you taking a diuretic like lasix? As for salt – they(doctors) want less to nearly none in our diets, especially Pulmonologist and Cardiologists! Wishing you the best outcome – sending you positive energy!
    Carol

• Colleen

September 18, 2020 at 5:33 pm

@jenc that makes total sense! I have the same concern. What might even turn out to be small or rare unexpected side-effects could be concerning for medically fragile individuals. I’m all for my family receiving the vaccine – after it’s been around for a while. We will continue to live cautiously until then.

• Colleen

September 18, 2020 at 5:40 pm

@mamabear007 that is awful! What a nightmare experience! I am so sorry that happened to you. I read your comment to my husband because he feels less suspicious of a vaccine they produce for Covid. He suggests we go with whatever Cullen’s doctors tell us to do. We haven’t discussed it with any of them yet but honestly, even if they tell us he should get it, I don’t want him to until it’s been out for a while.

I appreciate that you shared your personal experienced with a failed vaccine. Your story is an eye-opener.

• Colleen

September 18, 2020 at 5:45 pm

@vicki-kirkland-walker @cdvol3gmail-com @ann-walker and everyone who responded. It sounds like we are all thinking the same – wait out the vaccine and learn the side-effects first. Personally, I think the responsible thing the “deciders” on this vaccine should make, is that medically frail and people over a certain age shouldn’t received the vaccine until it’s been on the market for said amount of time.

• jen-cueva

September 21, 2020 at 9:53 am

Hi @mamabear007, I am grateful that you and your family are doing well. It sounds like your son is working less with the public, so that helps. That and the mask mandates. Do most follow this mandate in your area? Here in Texas, they tend not to care as much. I can imagine the concern that you have for your DIL. Working as a nurse with COVID patients, she is exposed daily. I am keeping her and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

I am happy that you learned a bit more about EBV with the link. Thanks again for sharing your experiences with us all. It certainly can happen, and this is what worries me with the COVID vaccine.

• jen-cueva

September 21, 2020 at 9:59 am

Hi, @annefox, I am happy to hear that you do not have pulmonary fibrosis. Like Carol mentions, maybe you can have them do a virtual call after getting the CT results. As far as fluid restrictions and diet changes, this is the “norm” for anyone with heart issues and increased fluid. Are you on any diuretics?

The extra fluid will undoubtedly impact your breathing. For me, any time I am up over 4 pounds with fluid, I fill it. It often accumulates around my belly, feet, and ankles. Please take care of yourself and keep us posted.

Did they give you a heart-healthy diet to follow?

• jen-cueva

September 21, 2020 at 10:06 am

Thanks, @colleensteele. I will not be first in line, and it may be a while before I feel that it is safe for me. I know that some doctors may suggest it early on. But, we can advocate as we share our concerns with them, too.

I am grateful that @mamabear007 shared her experience with a vaccine. I think there were other vaccines that some experiences side effects from hanging from seizures and loss of vision. These things are what concern me and many others. We have enough to PHight through already. I hope that when you speak with Cullen, you will let us know his thoughts as a young adult.

• anne

September 21, 2020 at 2:18 pm

I’m going to wait until I have my CT next week before I say good by to fibrosis. I’ve was told I had Fibrosis about 4 years ago and have lived with it. I was told I have pulmonary hypertension about 2 years ago. I’ll see the cardiologist in 2 months and try to get it confirmed or denied. Strange how things change. I’ve had fluid in and even around my lungs several times– in the lungs last year.

I’m on two 1 mg bumex a day having been on 4 a day at times. My nephrologist wants me on as low a dose as I can handle. I’ve been on these pills for over 20 years due to lower leg and ankle swelling.

I’ll keep in touch with my final analysis.

• V.R. Peterson

September 21, 2020 at 3:29 pm

@jenc, people are finally starting to take COVID seriously, and most are now wearing masks in the stores. There are still a few holdouts, but I think you’ll have that with any situations. In the next town over, the city council passed an ordinance requiring everybody to wear masks in all businesses. Even there, a few people refuse, and the businesses don’t do anything about it. However, most people wear masks everywhere in that city.

Page 1 of 4