Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Side Effects and Symptoms A MESSY situation: Diarrhea as a side effect

• A MESSY situation: Diarrhea as a side effect

Posted by brittany-foster on January 14, 2020 at 12:06 pm

There have been some members on the forums that have discussed the messy side effect of diarrhea. Personally, I have struggled with this GI symptom because of medications that I have been on. Sometimes being on medications for my immune system like an antibiotic can lead to diarrhea. It gets very embarrassing when it becomes hard to control and when I feel like it limits me from leaving my house.

Have you ever struggled with diarrhea as a side effect of symptom of a medication? Share what you did you help make this less bothersome for you.

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 10 months ago 11 Members · 24 Replies
  • 24 Replies
  • joanne-sperando

January 14, 2020 at 1:43 pm

21 years of vasodilation medication has given me a screaming case of Ulcerative Colitis. It evolved slowly and simply began as a rotten side effect. I see a GI doctor and he and I are very frustrated as my UC is not regular UC. We’re trying to find a good drug for me as I’ve been through many. Right now I’m in a FLARE and he has me on prednisone. Miserable, miserable to deal with. I wish they’d find a new pathway for treatment that doesn’t destroy the gut.

• carol-volckmann

January 14, 2020 at 7:04 pm

Hi Brittney, diahrea from medications you need is pretty awful to say the least. I have tried different anti diahrea meds but that does do much good. I now must wear a shield (Always) all the time and always bring extra with me along with anti bacterial wipes. I guess the embarrassment is all mine – no one else knows except my husband.

Sometimes it actually isn’t diarrhea but poo just comes out! I am finally dealing with it – I just need to make sure I have extra shields with me. I wish there was something I could do about it.

• brittany-foster

January 15, 2020 at 12:08 pm

@joanne-sperando-schmidt I am sorry that you are dealing with all of these GI issues too. I know it is so hard, especially all of the ups and downs that go along with gut issues. There have been so many things that I have had to miss out on because of GI issues like diarrhea and vomiting along with all the terrible cramps that go along with it too. I hope that while you are in a flare up your pain is at least under control of managed for you. cramping from GI pain is one of the worst feelings. It always makes me feel so helpless because it seems so out of my control. Do you deal with a lot of pain from UC?

• brittany-foster

January 15, 2020 at 12:10 pm

@cdvol3gmail-com I agree that there really isn’t much that can be done. The medication to help with the diarrhea doesn’t really help me. I have tried Bentyl in the past but it really didn’t make me feel well and it caused me to have pretty severe headaches. I am glad that you are at least protecting yourself from the messy situation all of this can cause. What medications have you tried in the past that didn’t seem to work for you? Like I said, I have tried Bentyl for the cramping from the intestines but it didn’t do much good.

• joanne-sperando

January 15, 2020 at 4:04 pm

Cramps have been very severe at times and make me vomit. And occasionally, outside of a flare, I have dealt with severe pain right across my upper abdomen. i know it’s the muscles around the transverse colon in spasm. I think my PH doc is sick of me complaining about my gut as it’s what I must bear to be here 21 years after my diagnosis! I am lucky, I know, but the gut issues are awful. I’m trapped in my house this week, on prednisone and praying for relief.

• rebecca-talkie

January 16, 2020 at 10:58 am

I realize that diarrhea may be a side effect of many medications that you take and unavoidable. However, I was dealing with chronic diarrhea and was tested for every condition and infection to no avail. But as a nurse I remembered a very old medication we used to use for diarrhea. Not used much anymore but I called my PCP and asked to try it. It is called Questran or Cholestyramine. It is used for a condition called Bile Acid Malabsorpton. So I tried it. I went from having explosive diarrhea up to 5 times a day to a formed BM once a day. I was FREE!!!! Drawback is the taste is awful, but if you mix it with juice, it is not so bad. Side Effect is constipation, but if you adjust your dose, you can find a happy medium. Who knows? It may help one of you.

• brittany-foster

January 16, 2020 at 12:30 pm

@joanne-sperando-schmidt I really hope they can give you something for that awful pain. I know what it is like firsthand to have such bad pain like that which causes vomiting. I know that feeling of the upper abdomen pain too. It is like the WORST gas pain you can ever imagine. I hate when people try to describe it as “just gas pain” I’m like “No, it is probably the equivalent of a baby coming out of my stomach in all honesty” Some just don’t understand. I sometimes feel sorry for complaining about it, but then I realize how much it truly effects my life and I actually want to talk about it and make others aware of just how serious it can get.

• nancy-mcsweeney

January 16, 2020 at 6:56 pm

I know what you mean. I, too, have to wear panty liners all the time and take three Immodium A-Ds every day, sometimes need more.

• joanne-sperando

January 17, 2020 at 1:39 pm

Thanks for the info Rebecca!! I’m seeing my GI doc next week and will bring up these meds. Vasodilation happens all over our bodies with our PH meds and that wreaks havoc with most of us. My GI says my colonoscopy looks like NO other patient as he can visualize each and every blood vessel in my colon. No WONDER why I suffer so much! My UC isn’t like the usual cases he sees. We’re trying to think outside the box.

• margie-novak

January 22, 2020 at 11:10 am

This can be a terrible and embarrassing problem. Sometime it hits me after I have eaten certain foods and no bathrooms to be found! I have learned to take a change of clothes in my car (sounds stupid but trust me… I may need them) I also have to say this…why is it that Immodium AD is in blister packs that you need dynamite to open the medicine yet to open a can of beer you just twist the top!! You need your medicine and it takes two people to open a blister pack… what does the government think you are going to do with Immodium!! Frustrating. Hang in there terrible subject but it is out there for us, naturally If someone is going to get something, we PH warriors are!!!

• brittany-foster

January 22, 2020 at 11:15 am

@margie-novak so true ! It is so crazy that medicines that we really need can be almost impossible to open. I have even been in hospitals where the nurses take FOREVER and have to get out these special scissors to even open up a medication that I really need in a timely manner . The healthcare system can be crazy that way ! It is a good idea actually to keep a change of clothes in your car or even just with you in a backpack at all times just in case something like this happened. When I was getting out of the hospital after my heart surgery, I was so constipated for days because of all the medicine and then on the drive home it was like everything came out of me at ONCE. Let’s just say the WalMart bathroom probably had to be shut down for a bit. But luckily I had my bag of clothes packed away in the car!

• joanne-sperando

January 24, 2020 at 11:52 am

Hi Margie, I order imodium from Amazon. 192 pills comes in a bottle, no blister pack. Even your drug store might have bottles in the larger quantities.

• tracey

June 10, 2020 at 4:06 am

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the topic. I’m new on all these meds and had an epic stomach failure in my living room the other day. I stood up to go to the kitchen and with no warning it was flooding down my legs.

Even though I was alone I was absolutely mortified, but thanks to all your s***ty stories I feel so much better ????

• Colleen

June 10, 2020 at 5:37 pm

@traceyaustralianmigration-co-za that is one of the great things about the PH forum. It’s a place where we can be candid about the most difficult or embarrassing situations. Somehow it helps when you are aware that others are experiencing similar challenges.

• jen-cueva

June 10, 2020 at 9:24 pm

@traceyaustralianmigration-co-za, I am sorry to hear of this experience. It is so helpful to share our stories here. It can be embarrassing but much better to know that you are not alone.

• nancy-mcsweeney

June 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm

The larger quantity Immodium comes in a bottle so you don’t have to deal with the blister packs.

• jen-cueva

June 12, 2020 at 1:00 pm

Thank you, @nancy-mcsweeney, that is a helpful tip. Another plus is you will always have back-up on hand as needed. I am sure that @traceyaustralianmigration-co-za and others will appreciate this tip.
    I hate those blister packs and the medicines in childproof lids, hehe.

• patoc42

June 12, 2020 at 1:26 pm

My doctor had me taking 8 Immodium pills a day, but it didn’t help.

• tracey

June 12, 2020 at 3:19 pm

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and support. It is great to know you’re not alone.

• alfred-gronroos

June 13, 2020 at 2:03 pm

Hello from AZ. What an embarrassing subject. I read the comments and almost cried. It is sad this happens to us, to anyone. I decided I should share becuz it happens to us males also, or at least this male. I have a pee problem so I carry extra clothes, pads etc. The urologist I have seen twice is real understanding. Use the bathroom before you leave home, if you feel like you gotta go when you are out find a restroom. He gave me pills, different kinds. No help. When you are pumping gas and pee runs down your leg you feel quite helpless. Embarrassing. I am not sure if this is a med problem or from my peripheral neuropathy or loose brain connection. I know my brain is operating on TILT at fifty percent of the time. Good luck everyone, be safe, keep these interesting forums full of comments. Al

• jen-cueva

June 13, 2020 at 3:19 pm

Hi @patoc42, have you asked your doctor about a stronger medication to help with diarrhea? I know sometimes they will prescribe Lomotil or something. If this continues to be so bothersome, I would call and ask. Diarrhea is undoubtedly a messy and annoying side effect.

• jen-cueva

June 13, 2020 at 3:22 pm

Hi @alfredjohn, I’m sorry to hear that you also deal with diarrhea. These are often not discussed among patients. You mention pee and accidents with this. I think that I will add this in another post. I’m sure that you’re not alone.

• patoc42

June 13, 2020 at 9:49 pm

I have tried everything

• jen-cueva

June 14, 2020 at 2:31 pm

Hi @patrick-mellin, I am sorry to hear that you have already tried Lomitil too. Have you also tried changing your diet? My daughter is a dietician, and I know tummy issues can be affected by what we eat. Although, sadly, I also know it is a side effect of Remodulin.

Did you also say that you asked your doctor if you could decrease the dosage a bit to see if that helps? Diarrhea is certainly no fun, and I hate that you are dealing with it so often.