Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition Are You Taking in Enough Protein?

• Are You Taking in Enough Protein?

Posted by jen-cueva on April 20, 2021 at 10:57 pm

Proteins are essential for our cells. Those of us with PH, often find it difficult to chew or eat the required nutrients for our bodies. This short article I found that may be helpful.

I usually graze throughout the day, like a toddler. But I also have chronic kidney disease, which limits some of my macronutrients.

I’m also not a fan of eggs or a ton of meat. But, I do like chicken and seafood. I have to be craving beef when I eat it.

I’ve added protein powders to smoothies, eat other protein-rich foods like broccoli, spinach, or other greens, chickpeas, beans, quinoa, and many others. But, I still fail to reach my protein goals as suggested by my kidney doctor.

Are you or your loved ones meeting your protein requirements each day? If yes, what are your favorite sources? If not, is it by choice or something else?

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 7 months ago 5 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • Tracey

April 21, 2021 at 9:28 am

@jen good question. I’ve been trying to find a nutritionist to help me with this but no luck. I’m hopeful that I can get another referral when I see my new doctor next week.

• jen-cueva

April 22, 2021 at 9:34 am

Hi @traceyaustralianmigration-co-za, I am unsure how this is covered for you there. But, if they cover it, a nutritionist or dietician would be great. They can base your protein needs and other macronutrients based specifically for you.

Do you have any favorite protein sources?

• jen-cueva

January 12, 2022 at 2:22 pm

Hey @traceyaustralianmigration-co-za, this was the post about protein I thought about. But it appears that no one except us replied. I also found another topic about protein mixes and shakes that you may find helpful. I’m sharing that link, too.

Although protein is needed, we also need to be careful not to overdo it. I can’t have too much protein with my chronic kidney disease (CKD). But because I need it for my anemia and PH, I have to try and balance this as I do my fluids.

This article from American Heart Association reminds us this. But this, too, is individualized and best to discuss with your medical team.

I’m not a huge meat eater. I tend to eat chicken and seafood. But at times, I crave red meat. This is usually when my iron is lower, and my anemia is out of whack.

Tracey did your team suggest increasing protein for healing. AS a nurse, I know that’s important for recovery, too. Do you like cheese sticks and greek yogurt? They both have protein. What are some protein-rich foods that you can try to add to your diet?

• jen-cueva

July 22, 2022 at 1:19 pm

Hi @traceyaustralianmigration-co-za, how are you doing? You’ve not been around in some time. Have you worked on increasing your protein?

This week, my new nephrologist (kidney doc) suggested I try and increase my protein intake. However, her goal is more than double what I usually eat daily. She recommends eating 1gm of protein/one kg of body weight. For me, my goal is about 60 grams of protein per day. My nephrologist suggests foods, not shakes or powders. Also, suggested I ask my dietician (daughter) for suggestions.

I will use My Fitness Pal to track my fluid, protein, etc. I used it in the past but not recently. It’s free on my phone or Ipad; they also have an upgraded version for a fee.

• Colleen

July 22, 2022 at 6:22 pm

@jenc Cullen sees his Nephrologist on Tuesday. Diet is usually discussed so I might ask about protein (or ask Cullen to) if would rather me be seen than heard during appointments. He wants me present but has been working on verbally handling appointments on his own.

How did the appointment go in general? Any concerns other than diet?

• jen-cueva

July 25, 2022 at 1:19 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I’ll say an extra prayer for Cullen’s appointment with his Nephrologist on Tuesday. That statement sounds just like what I would expect from Cullen. He’s older now and wants to take over as much as possible. That’s awesome that he can do that and wants to do things for himself.

Protein and fluid restriction was the primary concern. This was a new Nephrologist because the first one I saw retired. But this was positive because this one was attentive, and we got along well. She is passionate but listens to my concerns and said I know my body best. She didn’t change any meds or anything else. She says I’m doing reasonably well balancing my diuretics and kidney disease. I’m still a stage 3 bordering stage 4, but as long as I keep at stage 3, she said that’s balancing.

Overall, I think I now have most of my team in place. I don’t have a Gyne or Hematologist yet, but those are not yet top priorities. Thanks for your support.

• jen-cueva

July 26, 2022 at 12:46 pm

I wanted to add a few suggestions here that were recommended to me. One is steamable edamame. If you eat sushi or other Asian-inspired foods, you’ve probably had edamame as an appetizer. One place we went had spicy garlic edamame. I loved that one.

So, one cup is approximately 16-17 grams of protein. Because it doesn’t take much for a cup, it’s an excellent snack for protein. I buy the steamable ones in the freezer section at my local grocer. They have plain and others with sea salt. I plan to try mine with a dab of chile-garlic sauce.

Banza pasta was also a suggestion to make cool summer pasta salads. Banza pasta is made from chickpeas and is a great way to add protein to your diet without meat. You can also buy this at your local grocer. I’ve noticed that they have a few other brands now, too. I usually have a coupon to get mine when it’s on sale.

These are a few suggestions I’ll add to my diet for more protein. Do you have any?

• Colleen

July 26, 2022 at 9:35 pm

@jenc Cullen’s nephrologist explained to him today that in addition to monitoring his creatinine they also watch for protein in his urine. So far that has not been an issue for him. I thought it was interesting the protein in the urine can be a sign of worsening kidney disease but your doctor wants more of it in your diet. I wanted to ask Cullen’s doctor about this but Cullen was leading the conversation and I didn’t want to interrupt that.

• jen-cueva

July 27, 2022 at 1:11 pm

Hi @colleensteele, yes, my nephrologist also looks at the protein in my urine. Mine has zero, not even a trace, and because of the fluctuations in my other labs, she wants me to increase my protein. She explained that this would help me keep electrolytes balanced a bit more.

I should add that she suggested I eat less than the daily requirements. Because you’re correct, too much protein can harm the kidneys. Those on keto who eat incredibly high protein levels could possibly develop CKD.

I’m sure that Cullen led the conversation well. Were there any questions he said “next” to that he didn’t want to discuss?

• Colleen

July 28, 2022 at 12:47 pm

@jenc Cullen is the same, not a trace of protein in his urine but they seem happy about that?

He didn’t say “next” at all but I think he was biting his tongue because you know the kidney docs want to know all about your pee. Cullen answered with nods. LOL!

• jen-cueva

July 28, 2022 at 12:58 pm

LOL, I can picture Cullen nodding his head. They are pretty nosey when it comes to pee, hehe.

My nephrologist says if she sees a trace, that is OK because it’s more to keep my electrolytes better balanced, hopefully. But anything more would be concerning.

But, I’m having a challenging time adding extra protein when she wants it from food. Baby steps, as I told her, I’ll probably never get to the RDA, but increasing some protein is needed in my case.

• Aunt Lizzie

July 28, 2022 at 7:58 pm

I loved the article you have linked here. So much to read – thanks for that.

• jen-cueva

July 29, 2022 at 11:20 am

Hi @auntlizzie, how have you been? I am grateful that you have found the link helpful. Are you also having problems with getting adequate protein in your diet? Have you found any tips that have helped you?

• Jimi Mcintosh

July 28, 2022 at 8:39 pm

I am struggling to meet my protein goals due to kidney dialysis restrictions, PH and lack of appetite. Hard as I try, it is difficult to eat 3-4 servings of protein, I supplement it some days with “Nepro” and high protein “Glucerna”, the problem there is affordability $78 to over $100.00/ month supply.
    I have tried vegetable proteins, but, some do not taste edible or look edible.
    this is what I get for being a picky eater.  It is truly over-whelming .  I feel like a research chemist, looking for the next miracle protein or diet supplement.

• jen-cueva

July 29, 2022 at 11:27 am

Hi Jimi, yeah, I’ve found that most food sources of protein are a lot of chewing, and that’s often difficult with PH. I do better with soft foods, and I’m also somewhat of a picky eater. Manny says I am extremely picky with my food, hehe.

Yes, those protein drink supplements are pretty expensive. Do you know if Walmart has a high protein brand? My dad is diabetic and drinks the Walmart (Equate) brand of Glucerna. He only likes the vanilla one, though. We bought a case of those for about $25 several months ago. The Glucerna brand was almost $40 for each case.

It’s a struggle; I’m sure to try to keep your dialysis requirements in check. That and PH issues certainly make it challenging. I hope eventually you’ll find a better source. Hey, maybe, you will invent the next one.

Take care and enjoy a relaxing weekend, @jimi.

• Tracey

July 30, 2022 at 1:08 pm

@janc, i hear you!!! Ive also been told 1g per kilogram. So for me that is a huge amount that i just can’t manage. Getting all that protein in and keeping up with the veg is just too much, especially when I’m always so conscious of trying to cut calories – but a dietitian I spoke to said one of the best ways to lose weight is to eat sufficient protein. When I can I’ll have a greek yoghurt smoothie for breakfast, then a whey protein shake, normally eggs for lunch, a “diet” protein bar in the afternoon and normally fish at night. This is a huge amount of food for me, but still not enough. And I try to have a handful of almonds here and there during the day. My buggest challenge though is with the preparation of the food. I love, love, love cooking but at the moment I just dont have the energy for food prep. Im really taking a beating from tbe lupus, and my heart so actually getting the food made is difficult. But i must try harder. I’ve used Mt Fitness Pal for a while, but I’ve found the Samsung health app (I’m a samsung girl) is really great especially because it has South Africa specific food. So in Fitness Pal I’d search for Low GI whole-wheat seeded bread and be presented with brands that we dont get here so there was a fair amount of guess work, but the Samsung app has the South African brands so works so much better for me. And its free, whereas Fitness Pal was not for me ????

• jen-cueva

August 2, 2022 at 11:51 am

Hi @traceyaustralianmigration-co-za, great to “see” you, my PHriend.

Yes, it can be challenging to prepare food when we are exhausted. I bet between your health and running your business; you are pooped by the end of the day. Do y’all have any meal prep or meal delivery services available in your area? When I’ve been in the hospital or too tired to cook, Manny would get these healthier meals that our local grocers in Texas carried or at a place that was a few minutes away. It was like a lean protein, veggie, and whole grain. They tasted good and were not frozen, so that helped.

Yes, many do high protein or keto-type diets to lose weight. Those people eat a much higher protein intake than I care to eat. LOL.

I don’t have a Samsung or a smartwatch, so I use the free app on My Fitness Pal. But I know several other free apps are similar, too. Are you also on a fluid restriction with your heart problems?

Nuts and dried fruits, I love. My first kidney doctor told me the diet he has most of his kidney patients on would limit those foods and most of the foods I tend to eat, trying to eat healthier and small snacks as I graze throughout the day. Manny says I’m like a toddler, hehe.

Have a great new week, girl.

• jen-cueva

September 19, 2022 at 11:17 am

Hey, y’all, I saw this article this morning and thought I would share it. Here are a few snack ideas that add protein.

Check it out and let me know what your favorite high-protein snacks are.
    6 High Protein Snacks