Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Books Published By PH Patients

• Books Published By PH Patients

Posted by Colleen on November 4, 2019 at 8:00 am

In honor of PH Awareness month, Lori Heaton is offering to donate $5 to PHA from each sale of her book “Difficult Blessings “ during the month of November. The book is about her daughter – “Maddie who became one of the early pioneers of pulmonary arterial hypertension in the late 1990s when research was just beginning to develop therapies that were an alternative to lung transplantation; treatments that provided hope! This true and inspiring story chronicles Maddie’s twenty-year journey of courage and strength.”

Our PH News member Randolph Reynolds @ripple76 recently had his memoir published, “Towards New Worlds: Memoir of a Life in Aviation”. “Memoirs are expected to reveal adventure, love stories, disappointments, difficult times and the development of an individual. In his memoir Randy Reynolds folds together all these things in his experiences.”

Both books are available through Amazon.

Do you know of any other books about PH and/or books written by someone with PH that would be inspirational to share during this month of awareness?

(FYI… Lori Heaton explained to me that she will donate a portion and send out a signed copy if you pm her. It can be purchased on Amazon, Barnes and Noble .com or Target books but then you won’t get the discount.

If you are interested, friend Lori on Facebook or reach out to me @colleensteele and I will contact her for you.)

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Brittany Foster

November 4, 2019 at 10:11 am

I love uplifting and inspiring books. One of the books that I really loved was “Girl Wash Your Face”. Also the book “You Are a Bad A**” These both have helped me with self reflection and added some humor to it too which I really loved.

• jen-cueva

November 4, 2019 at 2:15 pm

Brittany, I have read, “Girl, Wash Your Face”, it was a great one. I think my KK is currently reading the other one you mention. Both are inspiring and I found the humor in, “Girl Wash Your Face”, much needed.

Congrats again, @ripple76, on his memoir. I hope to read that soon. Maybe once this month is over. My plate is full and I have not had much time to read. That is such an amazing accomplishment!

• Brittany Foster

November 4, 2019 at 3:00 pm

It was really great! Another one is called “The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F***” LOL actual book title. Story of my life hahahaha!! It gave me some good laughs while I was in the hospital and recovering. I got it in a care package from the family that I babysit for. Clearly it wasn’t from the kids LOL . They also bought me a swear coloring book it was hilarious !! Best gift award. If anyone you know is struggling and needs some sense of humor through it I highly recommend sending it to them.

• jen-cueva

November 6, 2019 at 10:03 am

Too funny, Brittany.
        I read,“ The Subtle Art” book after my kiddos suggested I read it. It was quite interesting and certainly full of humor. Hehe

That is hilarious that the kiddos gifted you that book. Hehe

Those are great picks for when people are hospitalized and need some humor.

• Colleen

November 4, 2019 at 2:17 pm

Brittany,
      I never read either of these books. I will have to check them out. Thanks for the suggestions.

• jen-cueva

November 4, 2019 at 2:12 pm

Great share, @colleensteele. I will have to check those books out.

I also found this, in PH News, which adds a few more to the list.

I read a book years ago back when I was first diagnosed. It was great, but I cannot remember the writer or the title.

• Brittany Foster

November 4, 2019 at 2:57 pm

There is a doctor from Rhode Island that is a heart surgeon that published a book called “Your heart, My Hands” and I have it at home. I have yet to read it but it was signed to me and everything because he did a book signing at the hospital that my aunt is the head ER secretary at. It was great to get it personalized. When I have more time on my hands I’m going to have to sit and read it. I love books like that! Have you ever read any from surgeons or doctors that give their perspective on things as well?

• Colleen

November 6, 2019 at 8:56 pm

FYI – I edited this post with the following information.

Lori Heaton explained to me that she will donate a portion and send out a signed copy if you pm her. It can be purchased on Amazon, Barnes and Noble .com or Target books but then you won’t get the discount.

If you are interested, friend Lori on Facebook or reach out to me @colleensteele and I will contact her for you.

• jen-cueva

March 5, 2021 at 5:11 pm

I anted to let the neer members know about these books published by PH patients. If you have read off of the books, how did you like it? I am thinking, like me, you may not have heard about these books.

Any new members have a book published? If so, share your links here.