Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Building Community Through Awareness and Advocacy

• Building Community Through Awareness and Advocacy

Posted by Colleen on September 24, 2019 at 1:35 pm

There is a beautiful young woman whose PH was going to deprive her of attending prom, so her mother decided to bring the prom to her. For her 16th birthday Eliana’s mom with the help of a community, gave her the full prom experience. She even had a date, a young man who also has PH.

This event was more than a birthday present and more than a prom, it was an opportunity for a community to pull together and do something wonderful. Although not the focus, it turned out to also be a touching way to share PH awareness and advocacy.

My family had a similar experience when fundraising through the Children’s Organ Transplant Association (COTA) for my son’t transplant. It became more than just raising money for a good cause, but also an opportunity to build community and spread PH Awareness.

Have you had a similar experience in which a personal event and/or fundraiser evolved into a heartwarming example of community as well as PH awareness? Please share that moment with us.

Here is a link to the news report about Eliana’s prom. It’s very touching. Enjoy!

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/16-year-old-girl-surprised-with-her-own-prom-/5501773/

jen-cueva replied 4 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jen-cueva

September 25, 2019 at 4:50 pm

Thanks for sharing that here, Colleen. It is amazing what some communities will do. I love to hear about these stories.