Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH COVID-19 Mental Health Check-In

• Colleen

August 21, 2020 at 2:02 pm

@valeriekv I’m like you. I can find plenty to do at home that makes me happy, including reading. That’s why I didn’t think lack of socialization would bother me. My friends to call and check-in on me. I do have a friend who has been inviting me to a cider bar where they sit outside and order from a vendor. I’ve thought about going but my son really doesn’t want me to.

I too am afraid this is going to be life for much longer than we at first thought. Like you and @ripple76 mentioned, at least we have each other here. You are all the best and I enjoy the conversations. It’s always a nice combination of medical and social/friendly. Stay strong my PHriends!

• Colleen

@valeriekv I’m like you. I can find plenty to do at home that makes me happy, including reading. That’s why I didn’t think lack of socialization would bother me. My friends to call and check-in on me. I do have a friend who has been inviting me to a cider bar where they sit outside and order from a vendor. I’ve thought about going but my son really doesn’t want me to.

I too am afraid this is going to be life for much longer than we at first thought. Like you and @ripple76 mentioned, at least we have each other here. You are all the best and I enjoy the conversations. It’s always a nice combination of medical and social/friendly. Stay strong my PHriends!

• Colleen

• Colleen

• Colleen

• jen-cueva

August 21, 2020 at 7:53 pm

Hi @valeriekv, I am happy that you are benefiting from some of the posts here. I am sorry that your friends are so rude. I do have family that goes and does whatever like nothing and gets mad at me when I say don’t come by or leave it at the door. It does not make it right. I think that they still do not want to or try to understand my disease.

It has not been easy. I thought that I stayed home pre-COVID, but this often is a struggle. I only go out to the labs, etc. I have been going nuts inside for months. Drives take me away; we usually do this on a day when my hubby is home. We are supposed to go to a place for my daughter’s birthday next week; I am still not 100% sure yet. We must protect ourselves and do what is right for us. Others can become frustrated; no need to be cruel or insensitive.

You are not alone, and we are always here to help one another through such challenging times. We thought that PH life was difficult; this is not helping. Hang in there and know you can come to talk to us anytime.

Together, we will all get through this—one day at a time.

• jen-cueva

August 21, 2020 at 7:56 pm

@ripple76, it’s great to “see” you on here. I know that we all try to keep busy and do the best that we can. We do all have one another, and for that, I am grateful. This is such a close-knit, caring group. My heart goes out to you all. Stay safe and keep PHighting.

• jen-cueva

October 27, 2020 at 1:01 pm

Hey, y’all, this is older, but because COVID is still with us, I wanted to do a check-in as I have missed seeing some of you here in the forums. I am hoping that y’all are keeping busy with other things. Please know that we are here and want to support y’all during this challenging time.

A few that I have not seen lately are @stephanie, @ripple76, @texas2018, @valeriekv, @vanessavaile, @robo2677, @alfredjohn, @jenniferbeaty,@princesslilac1111, @sajadomidi, @libby, @bill-jones, and @auntlizzie. I know that I missed so many, but please do check-in and let us know how you are doing.

How can we best support you?

• Randolph Reynolds

October 27, 2020 at 1:20 pm

Hey back. I am still here in the middle of this pandemic. It along with a huge influx of Californians into this small town has put back my next echocardiogram. I think I am maintaining my own, in other words my health hasn’t gotten worse but I have had to go onto a mild pain killer that easies the site pain from my infusion pump. Much of life in Prescott continues on about the same. We have no major industries so the economy is booming off housing development – not to my liking. The university where I used to teach is open but with very tight restrictions. The few restaurants that are open require masks.

Not much to report actually. Colleen had sent out a request for a 400 word commentary on how PAH was affecting our lives. I wouldn’t mind doing that when the time comes. Everyone keep moving one day at a time.

• Colleen

October 27, 2020 at 4:01 pm

@ripple76 it’s so nice to hear from you. Can you private message me your email address and I will send you the information and instruction on how to participate in “30 Days of PH”. Thank you so much!

• jen-cueva

October 27, 2020 at 1:33 pm

Hi @ripple76, thanks so much for your update. Like you, so many of us have had postponed appointments and testing. I am happy to hear that you are “holding your own.”
    beat
    I am sorry to hear about your site pain. I hope that the pain meds help that some. I know we recently had some discussion on this topic with @jenniferbeaty.

I did not remember that you are in Prescott. My hubby and I have been brainstorming about a place to relocate in the future. Arizona was one of our choices. I think the town was Chandler, but his job has a location in Phoenix. Any suggestions on small towns but places that I could drive myself to get a few things like labs, groceries, Starbucks, etc.? You know the important stuff, hehe. (Affordability is important, too)

@colleensteele would love for you to share your PH journey. She will get in touch with you probably later today.

You got it, one day at a time. Thanks again for checking in; we care about our members.

• Randolph Reynolds

October 27, 2020 at 3:41 pm

Jen
    Chandler is merged with Phoenix and just part of that huge megalopolis. Probably your best bet would be Casa Grande south of Phoenix. It too has blossomed into a suburban community and has a very large shopping mall near it. My wife spent her high school years there and when we were married, some 53 years ago, the town was in danger of closing all its stores due to the draw of Phoenix. Now it is considered a suburb to PHX. Since it is in the valley it is hot. To the north is Anthem which didn’t exist when we moved to Prescott. It too has housing that covers the hills as far as you can see. Prescott is too far north to commute (100 miles nw of PHX) and we are turning into what I call a suburb to nowhere, full of retirees.
    As for housing costs. The Californians are driving up prices in many places. (Especially here) I don’t know about Casa Grande.

Sorry I can’t be more positive. We have lived in Prescott for over 21 years. It was, until recently, quite wonderful.

Randy

• Colleen

October 28, 2020 at 1:32 am

@ripple76 can you send me an email at [email protected] then I will send you the details about “30 Days of PH”. Thank you so much!

• Valerie

October 29, 2020 at 2:18 pm

Hello everyone!
    Thank you, Jen, for mentioning some of us (we may have been silent for too long). I come here and read the news often, but I don’t know what I could write. This pandemic has absolutely exhausted me mentally. I was already obsessed with cleanliness, rubbing alcohol on door handles, carrying antiseptic and wet wipes, and I shied away if someone nearby accidentally coughed. I’m just super paranoid right now! Several times a day at work, I apply antiseptic to all door handles, buttons, phones, office supplies, keyboard, desktop, and ANYTHING ELSE that comes across my eyes.
    My cardiologist died of covid in the summer, so now I’m in shock about it. I feel very sorry for her. Besides, now I’m without a doctor, and I don’t know when I’ll be able to see any new doctor at all.
    I just hope it ends as soon as possible (and that it won’t be as bad as the Spanish flu epidemic in 1918).
    At work, I have a lot to do and sometimes there are a lot of people (sometimes too many, which makes me nervous), but this does not allow me to get very upset and generally think a lot. Although some of my colleagues sometimes still go on vacation, and this drives me crazy.
    I hope you have more good news and events. Maybe some of us have disappeared from the radar because they are happy and don’t have time to be here?

• Colleen

October 30, 2020 at 11:01 pm

@valeriekv it is always good to hear from you. We understand that several of our members are quietly reading the topics but might not post often, and that is totally fine! We want everyone to feel comfortable here so if reading is what helps you most, then please continue. But know that you are welcome to jump in and share a vent, question, update, etc., at any time.

I am so sorry to hear about your cardiologist! That must have been a bit traumatic to learn that news. It still feels to me like we are all living in a science fiction movie.

• Valerie

October 31, 2020 at 2:22 am

Colleen, you’re right. The forum helps, even if you don’t write anything. Although, of course, we have more bad news.
    I was going to get a doctor’s appointment in May, but because of the pandemic, my plans fell through, and in June I found out that my cardiologist had died. She was in her seventies, but she continued to work with patients, she did not go to self-isolation. She was a brave person.
    On this forum and on another, I read how other patients also can’t get to see a doctor. In the news, they write that the number of difficult situations with cardiovascular diseases is growing because of this. We’re on our own.
    There will be holidays soon, but I think most of us will give up the usual meetings and celebrations (In the summer, I had a fight with a friend because I wasn’t going to celebrate my birthday, and she was terribly offended about it! Perhaps some of the people on the forum have experienced this, and will experience it again and again. I think it was you, Colleen, or Jen, who wrote that your friends don’t invite you anywhere anymore, and that’s a hurtful. Actually, they should have been more careful, too! But many people are indifferent not only to the health of others, but also to their own.)
    It seems to me that many people are just waiting for the next year to come. Probably my main daily activity in anticipation of the next year is to watch funny programs and read stupid jokes on the Internet. No horror movies, not even action movies or melodramas. We need positive emotions too much!

• jen-cueva

November 2, 2020 at 1:24 pm

Thanks, @ripple76, for your information about Chandler. It sounds like we need to keep looking. Phoenix is only one area that they have spots open. I certainly do not care to live in a major city. I am more of a burbs kind of girl. @cdvol3gmail-com also reminds me of how hot it can get there in the valleys. Are the mountainous areas much cooler?

I am excited to read about your PH journey in the 30 Days of PH. Take care, buddy.

• jen-cueva

November 2, 2020 at 1:28 pm

Oh no, @valeriekv, I am sorry to hear about your cardiologist. This must have been a shocker and traumatic, too. I am happy that you are looking at the forums. That is fine. I want us to support you as much as we can. Today, we live in such a chaotic world. We all need somewhere to go and vent and offer support to others.

We certainly do need all the positivity that we can find. Let us know how we can support you. We are all together in this.

Looking ahead, I am unsure of the new year. I am just hoping and praying that it is a much better year. Take care of yourself and know we are here anytime.

• Randolph Reynolds

November 17, 2020 at 3:08 pm

Greetings all:

I just read Ruby’s 30 days synopsis and she is definitely on point about working your faith in God. The six years since I was diagnosed with CTEPH have run through stages where the management of each has been intensified. The imposition of Covid19 brings more restrictions but I have been fortunate to have friends who take me to restaurants that are open with social distancing and masks. It seems ironic that now people who weren’t medically encumbered are now experiencing something of what I have been since I went on full time supplemental oxygen.

If I didn’t get out at all I would be so tied up with my condition my mental state would be worse. Praying about this is essential. Social interaction is crucial to living. Those, like Ruby, who seek out comfort through scriptural guidance are seeking divine intervention and so are we all.

Besides helping me my wife has to deal with her own physical ailments that are numerous. She carries on with great courage and is not afraid but with all of these things mixed in with the usual pandemic restrictions she maintains a very hopeful attitude. Depression and anxiety are not uncommon to all of us but it takes help to continue on day to day. There really is something to live for.

Page 3 of 3