Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Do You Ever Catch Yourself Saying "I’m sorry" When Advocating For Your Health?

• Do You Ever Catch Yourself Saying "I’m sorry" When Advocating For Your Health?

Posted by Brittany Foster on April 30, 2019 at 11:07 am

In my latest column for Recharged and Rewired I wrote about feeling like I have to “apologize” for advocating for my health. I know that I’m not the only one that does this. Often, I find myself asking myself, “why am I apologizing for asking questions to my doctors?” I sometimes think that I’m being a burden and this feeling can hinder me from getting the answers or help that I need.

Give my latest column a read and let me know your thoughts and if you can relate. Do you find yourself apologizing to medical professionals when asking for results, calling the office, asking question, etc?

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • jen-cueva

April 30, 2019 at 3:24 pm

Brittany,
    Thanks for sharing and I hate how hard you’ve struggled with this! The positive is it seems like you’ve come a long way and now doing better as staying positive and upbeat about your body. I’m sorry you had to go through that and sure it’s not easy , still today!

I definitely can relate , as I apologize all the time to my family, friends , and my doctors and nurses . I always call my PH nurse and say , “ it’s just me , sorry to bother you again “ or something like that. She’s tells me it’s no bother. I continue to work on this daily myself. Often, I must remind myself to not apologize and I feel like I’m getting better, but still do this.

• Brittany Foster

April 30, 2019 at 3:27 pm

I feel like it is hard for people to speak up, especially if there have been times through our life where we have been silenced or our voices haven’t been heard. This is something that I had to really work through and I’m open about the therapy that helped me to find my own voice in my health care. Without that and without identifying why I was struggling with it so bad, I wouldn’t be able to write about it and certainly wouldn’t be able to do the work I’m doing now. It has been very therapeutic for me.

• jen-cueva

April 30, 2019 at 3:38 pm

Definitely Brittany !
    I, too was the shy, quiet one in my family, so it’s harder to voice my opinion but PH and writing and helping others even has been therapeutic as well for myself! It helps us be better versions of ourselves and advocate for ourselves and others .

• Brittany Foster

April 30, 2019 at 3:41 pm

It really does ! I couldn’t agree more 🙂 Glad you are finding your voice and working on stopping the apologizing for your health !