Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Do You Feel Stronger After Experiencing Particular Grief Related to PH?

• Do You Feel Stronger After Experiencing Particular Grief Related to PH?

Posted by jen-cueva on August 29, 2022 at 12:54 pm

Being in such a close-knit community like PH makes grief something we all are familiar with. Whether we are grieving our old life before PH or grieving the loss of a PHriend, it’s challenging.

We are faced with the stark reality of our own PH. During these times, it’s not uncommon to experience anxiety, guilt, or depression.

Tuesday, August 30th is National Grief Awareness Day. Here is a quote that I want to share with y’all:

“The world breaks everyone, and afterwards many are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway, “A Farewell to Arms”

Do you feel stronger after experiencing particular grief related to PH? Share some examples with us. 

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 7 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Colleen

September 1, 2022 at 7:08 pm

@jenc I gave myself time to think about this one and I’m still not sure how to respond. My family has dealt with so much grief and in many of it’s forms since Cullen’s diagnoses. This is going to sound odd but I think these grief experiences have made me stronger in that I can cry in front of people now. Prior to PH I wasn’t one to shed tears in public too often. I think it was because my mom was a very emotional person and somewhere along the line I felt like I had to be the “strong” one. But now, I find strength in tears. I feel more ok when I let them go then when I don’t. I cry and then I find a reason to smile and next thing I know I’m putting one foot in front of the other and finding the strength to keep going. Am I making any sense or speaking in riddles? LOL

• jen-cueva

September 2, 2022 at 1:14 pm

Hi @colleensteele, you are making perfect sense. You know this speaks to our conversation yesterday and how sometimes, we must cry with others and in public. I, too, thought I must always be the strong one. But now I’ve learned, that I’m strong but strong breaks sometimes, too. But like you, I then find a reason to smile and take baby steps when needed.

Although I feel stronger, I know that I can be broken at times and allow others to hold me up when needed. That is a considerable change to who I was and my beliefs before the grief since my PH diagnosis.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this topic. Grief is never easy, but I believe we deal with grief more than we ever realized we could withstand. How many here relate?