• Do you have any driving restrictions?

Posted by Brittany Foster on December 9, 2019 at 10:57 am

There are some days, like today where I feel like I just really can’t drive. Usually my doctors leave it up to me discretion whether or not I feel okay to get behind a wheel. There was a time in my life where I was told to NOT drive though for about 6 months. This was before doctors officially knew what was going on and the reasons why I was passing out and losing consciousness. I didn’t get my license taken away, but I did choose to listen to my doctors when they told me that it was unsafe. I knew I needed to not drive for my own safety and the safety of everyone else on the road.

Have you ever been told by a doctor not to drive? Do you have days when you don’t get behind the wheel? What keeps you from driving on these days?

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Rebecca Talkie

December 10, 2019 at 11:46 pm

No, I have only passed out once and it was very briefly. I am on other medications and am already careful about when I drive. If I feel tired, I ask my husband to drive. I don’t know what I would do without him. If we go some place over 45 min away, I always fall asleep in the car. He is not a chatty person so it doesn’t bother him. I think if I did end up with driving restrictions that it would really upset me that I was that sick. As a nurse, I am well aware how it makes elderly people feel to gradually lose their independence. Seems to me it would be the same no matter what age you are.

• Brittany Foster

December 11, 2019 at 1:50 pm

Rebecca,
    During that period of my life when I was restricted from driving it definitely felt like a lost a huge part of myself. Something as simple as being able to take myself to my own doctor’s appointments is something that I am grateful for after knowing what it feels like to not be able to do that during that time. Like I said before, I wouldn’t ever want to put anyone at risk on the road if I didn’t think I could drive. On the days where my health keeps me from doing small things like that in the day that help me keep some control over my life, I feel pretty down. I can see how this would effect others too!

• Joy Brooks

December 16, 2019 at 12:33 pm

Hello Brittany and Rebecca.
    I’m new to the forum, newly diagnosed.
    One of the questions i had was about driving. Now I don’t have to ask it.

• Brittany Foster

December 16, 2019 at 3:06 pm

Hi Joy,
    Generally many of the PH patients that I know have been able to drive. I think it is based on what your doctor feels and what you feel is the safest plan. Some people choose not to drive on the highway and just drive on side roads, others make the choice not to drive at all. I think it is still best to ask a doctor about your individual case and what they feel is best for you and your safety as well as the safety of others. Also, welcome to the forums I know we will be able to be of help to you here!