Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Do You Know About The No Surprise Act?

• Do You Know About The No Surprise Act?

Posted by jen-cueva on January 27, 2022 at 1:31 pm

The No Surprise Act took effect on January 1, 2022. It was partly due to the work of the PH and rare disease communities.

This bill helps protect being billed from out-of-network bills in cases like an emergency where you may not have an option to choose.

For more information about this bill, check out this article from Pulmonary Hypertension Association.

Did you know about this new bill? What are your takeaways from this article?

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • V.R. Peterson

January 27, 2022 at 2:15 pm

Thank you for this, @jenc. I read about the new law last week. It would’ve helped my son several years ago. When his heart went haywire, he went to the local hospital, which was covered by his insurance. However, because the local hospital didn’t have the proper equipment to deal with the issue, he was transferred by ambulance to an out-of-network hospital. The insurance company originally agreed to cover the second hospital as if it were in-network. However, once he was released, they changed their mind. Thankfully, the hospital charged him as a self pay patient for “only” $18,000 for the 5 days he was in the hospital. He’s still paying that bill off.

I’m glad PH patients will no longer have to worry about the above scenario, thanks to this new law.

• jen-cueva

January 28, 2022 at 1:39 pm

Hi @mamabear007, that’s so unfair, I know, and it adds up quickly. I also have had times where they called 911, and the ambulance took me to the nearest hospital. I was stuck with out-of-network costs and tried to fight with them about this. Finally, they negotiated a lower rate, but this should not be acceptable for anyone.

I’m sorry that you, too, went through this with your son. These bills, we are stuck with for years.

@colleensteele, yes, those bills are insane. It’s crazy when you see the itemized bills and how much they charge us and insurance for every little thing. This bill will hopefully help many in the rare disease communities.

• Colleen

January 27, 2022 at 10:31 pm

@jenc I was not aware of the No Surprise Act. Thank you for passing on this important information! @mamabear007 it’s insane the price many have to pay to survive. We have medical bills we will be paying off for quite a while too. The worst part is every time he pays that bill your son is reminded of that scary experience.