Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Friday 9/20 Wear Blue For O2

• Friday 9/20 Wear Blue For O2

Posted by brittany-foster on September 16, 2019 at 8:37 am

Last year, my friend Kimberly and I were talking about the need for awareness for oxygen users. So many misconceptions are made when seeing someone on oxygen. Many people assume that I have cystic fibrosis (I am happy this is getting more recognition though as a disease). Since the movie “Five Feet Apart” came out, it started getting more attention as a condition that would cause someone to wear oxygen. Other people will make comments like “this is why we don’t smoke” or they will assume I have cancer (terrible assumption).

This Friday is “Wear Blue for o2” . We really would love everyone to use the hashtag #blueforo2 when posting pictures on social media either on Intagram or Facebook. Aside from wearing blue, rock your o2, and share about why you are using oxygen. For me, I use oxygen because I have a breathing disorder called central hypoventilation. My lungs are restrictive and they don’t take in enough air. Because of this, my breathing is very shallow and I don’t take in enough with activity so I need the help of oxygen! Everyone’s story is different.

Will you be wearing your o2 and BLUE on Friday? If so, make sure you use the hashtag for your pictures #blueforo2 and spread some awareness. What will your reason be for wearing blue and rocking your oxygen? Wear it in support of yourself or a friend/family member/ loved one!

brittany-foster replied 4 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 28 Replies
  • 28 Replies
  • jen-cueva

September 16, 2019 at 11:16 am

Love this, Britt. I am adding that to my calendar. I will certainly support this as there is so much confusion when we wear our O2. I, too, have received some crazy comments. Mostly, that “ oh you were a smoker”, or “ my grandpa has COPD, too”. I have also heard the Cancer comment more than I can count.

I wear O2 due to my PH and anemia.

• brittany-foster

September 16, 2019 at 11:56 am

Actually Jen, now that you mention it, it really does help me a lot with my symptoms of anemia, especially the dragging fatigue ! I wonder if that is because it helps to bring oxygen to those red blood cells and helps with the delivery of o2 when we are lacking enough red blood cells in the body to bring that to our vital organs? My guess is that’s probably a big reason why I feel way better when my RBC count and all is low with anemia and it definitely helps to wear it ! So glad you will be sharing your story this Friday and helping to spread awareness! Be sure to tag me in your pictures you post too!

• jen-cueva

September 16, 2019 at 4:39 pm

Yes, Brittany. For me, wearing my O2 is even more important when my levels drop and my Anemia is not controlled. when my hemoglobin is low, this means that the blood is not flowing to all of my body tissues, hence reaching my organs.

@colleensteele, yes, I never knew this was a designated day, either. I am happy to wear blue to help raise awareness about oxygen.

• brittany-foster

September 16, 2019 at 6:15 pm

I can’t take the credit for the designated day, but I did want to spread the word. My friend that I met through social media who wears oxygen her name is Kimberly. She actually started it last year and we came up with the whole “wear blue for o2” together. I think that it could be great to raise some awareness since there isn’t an official designated day like this. It caught attention more from social media but maybe on day we could spread enough awareness and light up the state houses blue for this night!

• Colleen

September 16, 2019 at 1:56 pm

I love this! I actually never heard of this designated day. What a great way to spread awareness. There are so many misconceptions about those who wear oxygen. People need to become more understanding and this is a perfect way to inspire that.

• brittany-foster

September 16, 2019 at 6:17 pm

Colleen ,
      My thoughts exactly ! There is a lot of awareness out there for different diseases and conditions but I never found anything in particular for oxygen awareness. It really can be so inspiring to hear about other’s stories. People can be on oxygen for a variety of reasons and these reasons need to be talked about. The more education the better.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    September 17, 2019 at 10:24 am

I just got a new pair of blue eye glasses. And I have blue sneakers with a pair of blue jeans and a blue shirt! I love this! And of course I always wear oxygen. I would be “blue” without it! Lol And I am sure people will ask me why do I am wearing all blue?! And for 1 day I will explain why I wear my O2. Hopefully, I can educate at least one person.

• brittany-foster

September 17, 2019 at 11:18 am

Shannon,
      You will certainly be decked out in your BLUE and I can’t wait to see it! I know you will rock it. The more education we share with others, the better informed they will be. I know that once I share my story about why I’m on oxygen, people get it and they really appreciate me telling them about it. You never know who your story will help too! I have advocated for younger kids getting their oxygen monitored while exerting themselves if they are complaining of shortness of breath with activity. I was complaining of this symptom since I was 10 years old and the first pulse ox walk test I had was at 25 when they noticed my oxygen dropped to 82 with the slightest activity. I really wish I knew sooner but now that I know, I feel like it is my job to keep advocating and spreading the word to help the younger generation.

• jen-cueva

September 17, 2019 at 1:05 pm

Awesome, Shannon, I cannot wait to see your pics. I am positive that you will educate more than you think by rocking that value and answering a few questions. I often stop and educate others who ask at the store or at appointments.

BTW, great to see you posting and feeing some better, Shannon.

Thanks, Britt for sharing, I am excited to see the pics.

• brittany-foster

September 17, 2019 at 2:18 pm

Me too Jen! Can’t wait to see everyone rocking their oxygen and their blue. LOL kind of good color for us because as Shannon mentioned we would literally be BLUE without it hahaha! At the heart conference me and my friends joked about making “Fifty Shades of Blue” shirts with the oxygen shaped like a handcuff and on the back it would say “The Doctor Will See You Now” . As a spoof on 50 shades of Grey hahahahaha ! How funny would that be !? I’d totally wear it !

• jen-cueva

September 17, 2019 at 4:19 pm

Haha, Brittany, I love that! I would certainly rock that, ”Fifty Shades of Blue” tee. Too funny- let me know if y’all decide to do it. I bet they would sell out!

Shannon is right, without it we would be blue. LOL

• brittany-foster

September 18, 2019 at 7:50 am

HAHA Most definitely !!! I need to make these! Wish I did it for o2 awareness day. I actually am good friends with a family that owns a printing company. They made my heart walk t-shirts that came out great ! I will have to send you one because I have a lot left over too they are just sitting in my closet. They say “Keep Tickin” on the front with a heart and heartbeat and on the back it says “Team Brittany” . I need to change it to “Team Hearty-B”

• Colleen

September 17, 2019 at 8:58 pm

Brittany, I needed a good laugh today and this did it for me! Hmmm, Halloween is coming up, have any parties that you could rock this theme at? “Fifty Shades of Blue” that is hilarious!

• brittany-foster

September 18, 2019 at 7:40 am

LOL I’m gonna go to home depot and get different color blue paint samples and just tape them all over my body and carry around handcuffs and my oxygen and see if anyone gets it hahahaha!!! For actual Halloween my whole family is doing the cast of Toy Story 4 for my nephew . I am being workout Barbie hahahaha!!! It is a hilarious costume ! But if we have a costume party for BioNews I am definitely going with my “50 shades of Blue” idea hahaha! Actually may just do this for Friday too. I need to get to Home Depot and get some paint samples!

• Colleen

September 18, 2019 at 1:58 pm

I’m cracking up Brittany! I hope you post pictures to FB! I can’t wait!

• jen-cueva

September 18, 2019 at 3:25 pm

Hey Brittany and Colleen, Such clever ideas! Thanks for the laughs this afternoon. I need to up my game and start planning for Halloween, Hehe
        It will be here sooner than I realize.

Brittany, I cannot wait to see all of the pics. We should have a Halloween party at BioNews. You should talk to Matt and others to make one. Maybe on a day when you are not busy with your other functions, LOL

• brittany-foster

September 18, 2019 at 3:30 pm

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays! I think we have some things in the works for Halloween actually 🙂 Possibly related to costumes? hahaha! Can’t give too much away .

• jen-cueva

September 18, 2019 at 8:37 pm

Oh yea, I forget you’re behind the scenes, too. I hope we get a notification soon to prepare. Hehe

• jen-cueva

September 22, 2019 at 12:50 pm

I apologize y’all. I was dressed, went to eat and planned to take my #blue pics afterward. I ended up on the couch and in bed for the past two days. I do not know if it is PH, stress, or combination. I also think I am not quite recovered from a mini vacation. I have slept a ton, but emotionally and physically, I have not been myself.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      September 22, 2019 at 2:03 pm

Jen, I hope you get to feeling better soon. Your words have gave me comfort when I was feeling very low. I hope you get back to your old self soon. And sometimes when we sleep a lot , we normally really need it. Sometimes it’s the only thing that makes me feel better. (((Soft hugs))

• jen-cueva

September 22, 2019 at 2:33 pm

Thanks, Shannon,
        You kind words mean so much, Today is some better so hoping the sleep and rest helped.

So true, often we need the sleep although we would rather do something fun.

Hugs back to you – enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

• brittany-foster

September 23, 2019 at 9:07 am

So sorry to hear this, Jen. You need to take care of YOU and take all the rest you can get. Sometimes after vacations I feel the effects of it days after getting back. I feel like just like with hospital stays too and physically difficult periods on the body, there can be a lot of extra adrenaline pumping through our veins that we often don’t pause and feel the effects of what we just went through (either a good thing or a bad thing). Allow yourself the time and grace to heal on your own terms and know that we are always here and I’m always a text away if you ever need me. Every day is a chance to spread awareness. I say, whenever I wear blue or you wear blue let’s tag those pictures!

• jen-cueva

September 23, 2019 at 12:39 pm

Thanks, Brittany, I know you can relate. Your words are so kind and I appreciate you more than you know.

I am feeling some better and actually at the coffee shop working with my Daughter. She knew I wasn’t “up to par” and came over for a hug. Hugs are the best.

She also reminded me that it was probably the vacation still lingering. I just hate to give in and rest some days. Although, I know that is what my body needs. I think that the rain and storms helped me relax and rest more. I wasn’t”t as eager to get dressed and get out.

I will certainly have to remember to tag you when I wear blue, which is often.

• brittany-foster

September 23, 2019 at 6:19 pm

sometimes it just takes the right push from the right person to get you up and moving again. Even if it is doing something small I’m sure it helped to see her and get some motivation. Allowing yourself to rest when you need to is so hard but it is a necessary part of maintaining your health and being as good as you can be. I always remind myself that I can’t pour from an empty cup. It is hard to help others when I am struggling to help myself so I have to give myself permission to recharge.

• jen-cueva

September 24, 2019 at 8:30 am

So true, Brittany. I remind others of that same cup theory although I find it tough at times. I know you and others can relate.

My daughter spending that little “goofy” time with me is just what I needed. I know that you both are only a few years apart. You both teach me things every day. I am always like, “ why wasn’t I this together at that age?” LOL –

I appreciate you and I bet you and your Mom have such a close bond as well. Of course, my hubby got home and his hugs mean so much, too. I often need to remind myself how blessed I am. <3

• brittany-foster

September 24, 2019 at 8:52 am

It’s definitely good to pause and have those much needed reminders! It’s easy to get caught up with how we are physically feeling and forget about the things that make us feel a little better in these moments. I am guilty of just wanting to be left alone but at the same time I know that I NEED people there in those moments, even if it’s just to do something small. It’s better to get out an do a little thing that brings you some joy than sitting in your own feelings all day long. At least that’s how it is for me!

• Colleen

September 23, 2019 at 2:32 pm

Jen, no lie, you were on my mind a lot this weekend. Now I wish I reached out to you. I’m so sorry that you were not feeling your best but glad you had the sense to rest. I enjoy reading about the bond you have with your daughter. She sounds like a very special young woman. Feel better soon!

• jen-cueva

September 23, 2019 at 4:07 pm

Thanks, Colleen. You are so kind. I really did appreciate her visit and short outing today. More so, just her hugs and smile make my days better.

She is a hand full some days, even as a young married woman, Hehe I love her and we do share one special bond.

Rest was certainly my weekend- but today I am feeling some better.I appreciate you and no worries, just the thought was enough. Hugs.