Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Colleen Steele
      Keymaster

I have a a friend battling a rare disease and know a few parents whose children are battling a rare disease other than PH. I feel a close bond with these individuals because we share an, “I totally get it,” vibe when discussing day to day challenges.

Have you formed a special bond with someone battling a rare disease that is not PH? Was it the commonality of battling rare diseases that brought you together? How do you help each other and what experiences have you discovered that you have in common?

#whatmakesmerareph

Vanessa Vaile
      Participant

My most memorable different rare disease friendship started before I was symptomatic or diagnosed. My best friend in graduate had an indivisible one, neurological, since childhood. Although not realizing it at the time, I learned a lot from her about living with with a rare disease, including dealing with people saying “but you don’t look sick,” which her in-laws did a lot. It’s their problem — not hers, mine, ours. And pacing yourself — stop and rest right away when you need to. Never mind what anyone, in-laws or others, says. And more…

Colleen Steele
      Keymaster

@vanessavaile I had a similar friendship in college. A friend struggled with a rare disease and there was so much misunderstanding around her struggles. Some accused her of being a hypochondriac. I would like to believe I have always shown her compassion but I know it was enhanced when my son was diagnosed. I get it now more than ever and wish I could go back in time and defend her better when others lacked understanding. We are still friends through FB. I follow her journey and she follows mine.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account