Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH Has anyone been tested positive?

• Has anyone been tested positive?

Posted by Deleted User on March 31, 2020 at 10:42 am

I had a video appointment with my Doctor last night. I got tested this morning for the virus. I should receive the results next week. The test doesn’t hurt. It takes about 30 seconds and it’s a long cotton swab that goes deep inside your nose. They do ask a lot of questions. Who I live with, where everyone works and places I have been. I haven’t been anywhere. I have been home bound for the past few months. But 2 of my children are essential workers and have to work everyday. I have been wiping everything down with bleach, light switches, door knobs and everything else. But we live in a very small apartment. So unless I stay in a closet I can’t keep myself separated. We also only have 1 bathroom. I am very sick. I feel exhausted and am running a fever and coughing. I also have pink eye. My Doctor is pretty sure I have it, unfortunately. I am just taking it day by day. Is anyone else having any symptoms? Or have tested positive? I am wondering what the next step will be? Any advice I appreciate. Stay safe.

jen-cueva replied 11 months, 3 weeks ago 11 Members · 119 Replies
  • 119 Replies
  • brittany-foster

March 31, 2020 at 3:11 pm

Hi Shannon,

When all of this first started in my state, there was a positive case at the school system that my mom works for. I had a terrible cough, slight fever for almost a week, and was aspirating at night from coughing so much. I was really sick. They also ended up testing me and I went through the emergency room because I was having such difficulty with breathing. The test for COVID19 came back negative thankfully. But, I was positive for the normal human coronavirus which is the common cold but I really had it bad. I hope that you get your results soon. Did they do a respiratory swab other than covid19 to check for other viruses?

• Colleen

March 31, 2020 at 3:30 pm

@shannon4jk my “healthy” is feeling better now but was very sick for a few weeks. He was tested and the results came back negative. That was all they tested for so I’m not sure what he actually had. Luckily no one else in my family became sick…hope I didn’t just jinx us.

When my son was tested he was also told it would take at least a week for results but he heard back in just a few days. I’m so sorry to hear that your doctor is concerned that you have it. I hope the results prove him wrong but I know either way, those symptoms are concerning for PH patients.

I’m also wondering what the next step will be if you test positive. This is so new to all of us. Please keep us update. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

• jen-cueva

March 31, 2020 at 3:51 pm

Hi @shannon4jk, I can certainly understand why you are concerned. I am sorry to hear that you are feeling so bad. I am sure that it is not easy when your kids are working. My hubby is also an essential worker, and I wipe down everything daily, too. He is still so nervous that he will bring something home.

I am happy that you have spoken to your doctor and have taken the test. I hope that it is negative. If not, did your doctor mention if he would send you to the hospital? I am sure waiting is the worse part as you will worry until you hear back. Did your doctor offer any relief tips in the meantime as far as symptom management? I realize that this is a huge concern with having PH. Let us know how we can support you. Please keep us posted, will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

• denise-k-thompson

March 31, 2020 at 4:00 pm

Shannon, I truly pray you come back neg. I know how bad it would be for one of us, triage alone to be determined if we’re good candidates for a vent could be heart breaking. I know I would not be, but I’m 68.
    My sis was admitted in our local hospital for kidney stones last week & kept in isolation because she presented with a fever & elevated white count. She was tested & neg, but the ordeal was horrific. She had her daily meds cut & suffered migrain until she could get home days later & medicate. She got tylenol & motrin for pain & an antibiotic she reacted to. Weighed an extra 20# from a 3 day hospital stay & has finally taken off 14#s of water weight.
    I’ve been my usual isolated self for months. My husband is the only one allowed in and he has to stay away from me. A true death sentence & I don’t wanna go out in some isolation rm, alone & on a vent.
    Stay safe. Serious isolation time.

• carol-volckmann

March 31, 2020 at 4:18 pm

Hi Shannon, I recently got out of the hospital because they thought I might have the covid19 – but I did not fortunately. There is one terrible cold going around the country – slight fever, awful caughing and lasting 2-3 weeks. The big symptom aside from a fever and caughing is shortness of breath. Of course having PAH or PH that can be a challenge so I am glad your doctor tested you. Just be sure if your symptoms get worse, especially if your shortness of breath gets worse then be sure you reach out to your doctor or go to the emergency room. My thoughts are with you and sending you very positive waves of good news. Do not hesitate to reach out for support – this forum is with you very step of the way!!

• brittany-foster

April 1, 2020 at 2:45 pm

Carol,

This happened to me the beginning of March when all of this was just beginning in my state. It was a relief to know that it wasn’t covid19, because it probably would be a death sentence or at least really hard for me to recover from. I had a really hard time with the virus that I ended up having and it also gave me a fever for about a week too. Its hard when so many symptoms can be the same as the ones that they tell you to look out for with covid19. I almost felt like saying “aside from the fever I experience these pretty much with any flare up I have of respiratory issues !” So hard to manage.

• jen-cueva

April 1, 2020 at 3:07 pm

@dinky1952, It sounds like you are taking the precautions needed to protect yourself. It is worrisome for everyone. I can understand your concerns.

On a positive note, I am happy that your sister had is now home. My sincere apologies that she had to endure so much for kidney stones. Hopefully, since she is at home and taking her medications, she is recovering—hugs to you from Texas.

• jen-cueva

April 1, 2020 at 3:10 pm

@cdvol3gmail-com, you are so thoughtful and supportive. I am happy that you are feeling better. Thanks for the support, I am sure that Shannon is appreciative.

• jen-cueva

April 1, 2020 at 3:11 pm

@shannon4jk, how are you doing today? I am sure that mentally and physically you are drained. We are here for you. Thinking of you and keeping you and the family in my prayers.

• deborah-a

April 1, 2020 at 6:34 pm

Shannon
    I’m so sorry to hear you are going through this, I really hope your test is neg. I had a sinus infection and my son that lives with my husband & I was sick with a fever and alittle trouble breathing. He went to get tested, but they said he wasn’t out of the country so they didn’t need to do it. Fortunately I have an antibiotic on fill at our pharmacy, I’m better and my son is too, but it was scary until we got better. i’m so relieve neither of us had it.

• brittany-foster

April 2, 2020 at 7:42 am

@deboraha I’m glad that you didn’t have it and that you were able to get better with the antibiotics ! That’s a sign that it must not have been something viral, although they are treating some patients with a z pack I heard (azithromycin). I have been on that medication so many times that I’m honestly probably resistant to it. Glad that things have improved for you! It’s scary when the symptoms overlap with another illness because you just DON’T know and can’t really take any chances.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 2, 2020 at 11:46 am

Hello. Thank you everyone for your support and kind words. I still haven’t heard back from my test yet. But I am hanging on. I feel like I have a bad case of Bronchitis. I am still running a fever and having extreme fatigue. I also have a headache that comes and goes and some sharp chest pain around my lungs. I am still at home and have been told to stay here unless I need immediate medical help then to call 911 and go straight to the hospital. Being that I am such a high risk patient my Doctor is planning for me to need to be hospitalized. But at this point I am staying home for as long as I can. My hospital is not allowing any family to visit. So if I have to chose between my family or the hospital I will stay home. I have a DNR. ( I would not want a ventilator), that’s a personal decision I made a long time ago. So I am prepared for whatever happens. I am hoping for the best. I am on antibiotics, in case this isn’t the virus. Also I have a friend who has PH and has the virus and is doing well. He’s at home and doesn’t have many symptoms other then his oxygen levels are lower then normal. So I don’t think this virus is a death sentence just because we have PH and health problems. Just my opinion! And I guess it also depends on your age. I will update again once I hear if I am positive or not. Stay safe and strong everyone! And thank you!

• jen-cueva

April 2, 2020 at 12:04 pm

Hi @shannon4jk, I had goosebumps as I read your update. I cannot imagine how difficult this is. How old are your kids again? I, too, have advance directives that I did a few years ago as per my doctor’s request. I would never want my family to have to make the decisions for any of this. Mine is pretty specific.

I know that no family is allowed at the hospital that hospitalization would be so much more difficult. I won’t lie. I discussed this with my husband last night. I read a great article that I will share if I can find it about staying prepared. This was intended for everyone, not just us with compromised immune systems.

I am happy to hear that your PH friend is doing well so far. You are correct, and it does not always mean a death sentence. I think it depends on many factors, as you say. I am sending you positive thoughts and prayers from Texas.

• brittany-foster

April 2, 2020 at 4:11 pm

@shannon4jk you’re right to think the way that you are and I like your positive outlook on all of this. It’s hard to stay positive like this sometimes, but if we want to have the mental strength to fight anything off that we can, then we need this type of mental strength that you are showing. I think it’s so important to be able to be around family and I would make the same decisions that you are regarding being with family or the hospital . It’s hurtful knowing that they can’t visit. If you desperately needed the care, then I would think about the benefits of going to the hospital, but if you have the tools to try to manage it at home then I completely respect your decisions ! Each decision is the patients own to make and I fully believe that! Keep us updated please on what the results show and how you are handling all of this. It sounds like a lot of unpleasant symptoms that you’re handling with such grace and strength.

• brittany-foster

April 2, 2020 at 4:17 pm

@jenc something that I learned at the last ACHD conference was that it’s important to write out advanced directives, choose a health care proxy, and form your will and plans while you are as healthy as possible so you are making these choices with a clear mind! That totally makes sense and I think it’s important for EVERYONE to think about, not just those with chronic or life limiting illnesses.

• Colleen

April 2, 2020 at 4:29 pm

@shannon4jk thank you for the update and for sharing a story of hope regarding PH and the coronavirus. I think we all need to hear stories about people who have caught the virus but are managing.

Like Jen, I had goosebumps reading your update. I admire your positive attitude and respect the decisions you have made. Not being able to see and touch your family must be so hard. I’m truly sorry for you and what you are going through. At least you are at home but don’t wait too long to go to the hospital if symptoms worsen…sorry, that’s the mom in me talking.

Please update us when you can. We are keeping you in our thoughts.

• deborah-a

April 2, 2020 at 7:01 pm

Shannon,
    I hope you get your test back soon and it’s negative, it’s so hard to wait for any tests especially this one. I’m really hope you get feeling better and don’t have to go to the hospital, and you get well soon, take care.

• deborah-a

April 2, 2020 at 7:14 pm

Brittany,
    I didn’t know Azithromycin was being used for Covid, that is good to know. I’m sorry to hear you’ve had to have so many antibiotics, I understand, I went through about 2 years before I was diagnosed, that I had antibiotics every 6 weeks. Sometimes 2 at a time. Once I started oxygen I seem to have less infections. But I still get chest and sinus infections. It’s so disciuraging to be really ill, I’m sorry you have been through so much. I admire your strength, and kind heart.

• jen-cueva

April 3, 2020 at 1:01 pm

Hi @deboraha, yes, Zithromax (azithromycin)or Z-pack is being used to help treat COVID-19. I usually have this on hand as I take it for chronic bronchitis. It is certainly tough for us as we are more prone to chest and sinus infections. I am happy that you have noticed a decrease in infections since starting oxygen. Take care of yourself.

• brittany-foster

April 3, 2020 at 1:36 pm

@deboraha I try to stay as positive as I can. But during times of extra stress and discomfort it can be really challenging. I am so grateful for the community like this to support me and allow me to talk about what may be going on or bothering me through the week. It’s good to get it out and share it with others so it doesn’t feel as bottled up inside !

• brittany-foster

April 3, 2020 at 1:49 pm

@jenc just be careful with taking zpack more often. I ended up getting c-diff from chronic antibiotic use and the z pack was what I was mostly on! I think it is best to take them with a probiotic when you are taking any antibiotic. That is what my PCP usually advises for me to protect my gut. Do you take a probiotic when you are taking an antibiotic for your bronchitis ?

• jen-cueva

April 3, 2020 at 2:05 pm

Hey @brittany-foster, a great reminder! The antibiotics are excellent when needed. They can easily cause GI upsets and C-diff, as Brittany points out. I take them as needed but try to hold off when I can. As far as probiotics, I usually only use them as required. While taking antibiotics is one of those times. Probiotics are great for gut health. Just be sure to check with your medical team before adding these to your meds. One PH doctor advised me against this, but two others suggest this is fine. Like everything else, I find often it can be a doctor’s preference, especially when they fail when asked to tell me their reasoning.

• brittany-foster

April 3, 2020 at 2:09 pm

@jenc good point about discussing with your medical team first before taking anything like this. Surprisingly, my doctor that treated my c-diff actually told me that probiotics were a waste of my money and that I really didn’t need to be taking them. But, at the same time I can see why my PCP would suggest them, especially with my history of c-diff to help protect the gut and increase the gut health. My pulmonary doctors never commented on this but it’s not something specific that I asked him. Probiotics really can get super expensive if taking them all the time. It would easily cost over 100 a month to take them every day.

• jen-cueva

April 5, 2020 at 1:40 pm

Hey @shannon4jk, I am thinking of you and wanted to check in on you. How are you feeling? Did you hear back about your test results yet? Are your doctors doing anything different to help you at home?

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family from Texas.

Page 1 of 5