Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH Has anyone been tested positive?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 5, 2020 at 4:18 pm

Hi Jen. Thank you for asking about me and thanks to everyone else for your kind words. They mean a lot to me. I found out last night that I am positive. I think I got it on March 15 so it took about 2 weeks for me to start showing symptoms. I am still at home and maintaining. My cough is so much worse, my ribs feel cracked and probably are. This is a weird virus. My fever will break and I feel a little better then BAM back down again. It’s exhausting. And I am constantly sweaty. My O2 has dropped down into the high 70s. If it starts to drop into the 60s, I will go by ambulance to my hospital. Right now my main concern is my 19 year old daughter. She was born with a congenital heart defect and has had many open heart surgeries over the years( has a pacemaker) and has Lupus. She is starting to show signs of having it. This scares me beyond anything in my life. All of my sons, I have 4, are helping to care for us and have no symptoms yet. And I pray they don’t get it! If my daughter gets any worse I will call and ambulance for the both of us and at least will be together. I just keep hoping this will pass and I get strength to help my daughter because the worst for her is still coming. I will update again when I can. Stay safe and strong.

• jen-cueva

April 6, 2020 at 9:35 am

Oh @shannon4jk, I am sorry to hear that you did test positive. I have heard that the fever seems to come at night, and that is when many say it is the worst time for them. Have you noticed this? I can certainly understand about the ribs feeling cracked. I cracked a few one-year coughing. Has your doctor ordered you anything for the cough? For Myself, I can only take plain Robitussin, otc. I also have an RX for Tessalon Perles that helps to control my cough. Please keep your medical team updated as your symptoms worsen, etc. Your oxygen is already quite low; how much oxygen are you on? Maybe they can increase the flow to see if that helps at all.

I can only imagine your fears as you are concerned about your daughter. Have y’all been in contact with her medical team? Know that I am keeping you and all of your family in my thoughts and prayers—big hugs from Texas. Keep us updated and know that we are here for support.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 6, 2020 at 10:36 am

Hi Jen. Good morning. Yes I am on top of talking to my Doctor and my daughters team of Doctors at Penn Star Children’s Hospital. I have also talked to Doctors through the Health Dept and Disease Control? More Doctors then I can keep track. All through phone calls and video chats. We will ride this out in our apartment until told otherwise or we get worse. And yes coughing is much worse at night. But I do have cough syrup , and was told to finish my antibiotics, but not much helps just have to push through and hope for the best! Thanks for everything. Stay strong and safe.

• jen-cueva

April 6, 2020 at 12:20 pm

I am sure that with you feeling so bad, this is so much to worry about, @shannon4jk. It sounds like you have it all under control and that both of your medical teams and Health Dept. are aware of the concerns and of your positive results.

Try and rest as much as you can, I am sure that is not easy. If the cough syrup is not helping the cough, maybe ask the doctors, I know, you are sick and tired of dealing with them all, I am sure. Yes, please do finish your antibiotics; rather, you feel they are helping or not. Maybe you will get some relief soon. Take care of yourself.

• Colleen

April 6, 2020 at 4:44 pm

@shannon4jk I just read that you did test positive for Covid. I am so sorry! How you described the intensity of the symptoms is similar to how I’ve heard others explain the severity of it. I will truly keep you in my prayers!

In addition to the zpack I’ve also heard of people being treated with a combination of that and hydroxychloroquine. I take Plaquenil for rheumatoid arthritis and perhaps your daughter takes it for her Lupis? I don’t know anyone personally who was given this combined treatment and I’m curious if any of your doctors mentioned it to you?

How is your daughter doing?

• jen-cueva

April 6, 2020 at 7:14 pm

Great additions, @colleensteele. My son-in-love’s boss tested positive several weeks ago. He was treated with the Zpack and hydroxychloroquine. He is feeling much better, so it sounds like this was helpful for me.

I heard of some who take Plaquenil for their RA, Lupus, etc., were having issues refilling their prescription. Have you encountered any problems?

• V.R. Peterson

April 8, 2020 at 10:13 am

My daughter-in-law was presumed positive because she was exposed at the hospital where she works, and she got sick. The hospital had to save the tests for their patients, so they sent her home. She’s feeling better and is finally back to work after a month off.

I’ve got several of the symptoms (low O2, low-grade fever that has lasted a month, incredible headache, body aches, and digestive issues). They’re not bad enough to be hospitalized for them, so I’m staying home. That’s what my county is recommending for those who aren’t gasping for breath (which I’m not).

• Brittany Foster

April 8, 2020 at 11:34 am

@mamabear007 so sorry to hear that your daughter in law couldn’t get tested. Especially because she is around someone that is so high risk, you’d think that they would do that for her so that your son could know and could stay safe. This is what had to be done for my mom even when I tested negative. I was still showing symptoms of the virus and honestly didn’t feel well for about 14 days a little over 2 weeks actually. It was really hard and my oxygen was a lot lower than my normal. I tested positive for Coronavirus but not for COVID19.

I hope that you are able to stay home and stay safe!

• jen-cueva

April 8, 2020 at 12:38 pm

@mamabear007, wow, I did not realize that your daughter in law was not tested. This is so sad and wrong that they were unable to test her as a nurse. I am grateful that hs is feeling better. Those on the front line are so brave, and they are putting themselves in danger. Is she at a small hospital?

I am sorry to hear that you are having symptoms, too. I hope that it will clear up and you can stay home and take Tylenol or whatever you can to get some relief. Please keep us updated, take care, and I am keeping you in my prayers.

• jen-cueva

April 8, 2020 at 12:40 pm

Hey @shannon4jk, I wanted to check in on you and see how you are feeling. Have you been able to get any relief? I’m thinking of you and your family.

• V.R. Peterson

April 8, 2020 at 3:38 pm

@brittany-foster, my daughter-in-law didn’t get tested because the state didn’t have enough tests for everybody. Because she was exposed, and because she had the symptoms, they assumed she had it. If it were to happen now, she’d be tested because Utah now has enough tests.

This virus definitely caught the entire world with it’s proverbial pants down.

• V.R. Peterson

April 8, 2020 at 3:44 pm

Thank you for your prayers, @jenc. My daughter-in-law got sick when our state just started getting the tests. At the time, Utah didn’t have even a fraction of the tests they needed to test everybody. If it happened now, she could be tested. Unfortunately, the virus caught the entire world with their pants down, and as you’ve seen on the news, it’s going to take quite awhile for every country in the world to catch up.

• Colleen

April 8, 2020 at 6:43 pm

@jenc I have heard of people have difficulty refilling their prescriptions. Because my dose was lowered I’ve been getting by for a while on one big bottle. However, I tried to refill it this week and it’s completely my fault that I couldn’t. Well, you see…I’ve delayed seeing my rheumatologist for too long, and now my prescription can’t be refilled until I’m seen. There was an opening for tomorrow but I declines. His office is at the hospital and I decided some achy bones is easier to deal with then risking contracting COVID and passing it on to my family. I have enough for few more weeks and then I’ll re-evaluate my decision. I’m more concerned for those who have Lupis and struggling to get their meds.

• Colleen

April 8, 2020 at 6:47 pm

@mamabear007 I was thinking of you last night and wondering how you and your family are doing. I am really sorry to hear that your daughter-in-law contracted COVID and worried for you that you’re exhibiting symptoms. How is your son?

• jen-cueva

April 8, 2020 at 6:53 pm

True, @mamabear007, this certainly did ” catch the whole world with their pants down.” – sadly, some are paying the price.

The positive note is that your daughter -in -law is feeling better. Was this difficult for your son when she was sick and hone for a month? I’m sure this had to be.

Please keep an eye on things for yourself too, and know that we are here.

• jen-cueva

April 8, 2020 at 6:57 pm

Whoops, @colleensteele, let me guess, you were busy taking care of everyone else? I don’t blame you for not going to the office at the hospital. I hope and pray that before you need to go, things will clear up some.

Unfortunately, the country stockpiled this medication for COVID-19, so those with Lupus and RA are having a difficult time filling theirs.

Take care of yourself, too, and let us know how this works out for you.

• Colleen

April 8, 2020 at 7:04 pm

@jenc my arthritis has been well controlled for a while so when my schedule needing adjusting to make room for something else, I would sacrifice that appointment. Time flies and I’m not even going to tell you how long I’ve waited. Let’s just say, I totally understand why my doctor won’t fill it without seeing me.

Honestly, I would rather see people whose arthritis and Lupis is much more severe than mine, get their meds first.

• jen-cueva

April 8, 2020 at 7:10 pm

@colleensteele, that certainly sounds like you, offering to give up your RA meds to others. You’re so kind and thoughtful, but you deserve your meds, too.

I understand how time got away from you; it sounds like you were MIA from your rheumatologist for some time. I won’t even ask, hehe

I’m glad that it’s well-controlled. I think the meds have helped, so hopefully, you don’t go without.

• Brittany Foster

April 9, 2020 at 8:33 am

@mamabear007 absolutely caught us with our pants down!!! I like that saying! So true. I wish we were more prepared for this and had plans for “worst case scenarios” in place. I think the government needs some anxiety disorder lessons and they can also prepare for the worst possible outcomes in almost every situation. I can teach the “Anxiety 101” course if anyone is interested. “Lesson 1: Always jump to the WORST case scenario. It might not happen… but what if it does?!”- My Ted Talk LOL

• Brittany Foster

April 9, 2020 at 8:38 am

@colleensteele that is something that I didn’t think much about. For some medications it really is best to see the doctor first or it is required to see the doctor first. RI just passed a law that for narcotic prescriptions as long as the doctor is special certified to order them, it can be done electronically now. I’m sure doctors have to do quite a bit to even get permission to do this. But, luckily for me, my PCP has this authority. I can’t even imagine having to go into the office to get a hand signed copy of a script with everything that is going on. I wonder how that works in other states now and if they are accepting electronic scripts given everything with the pandemic?

• V.R. Peterson

April 9, 2020 at 9:16 am

@colleensteele, have you called the office to see if he would do a tele-appointment? Many doctors prefer that their patients *not* come into the office until C-19 is no longer a threat to them or their other patients. If he will do that, you could have him call in the prescription and ask the pharmacy if they have curb-side delivery so you won’t have to go in to pick up your prescription. Even if you need blood tests before your rheumatologist writes a refill, maybe he would write a prescription for a month or two over the phone. You won’t lose anything by asking.

• Colleen

April 9, 2020 at 8:42 pm

@mamabear007 it’s funny how I consider these options for my son but not myself. You are right, I should ask about a tele-appointment. I’m going to call next week and inquire about that. My mom, out of the blue, asked me yesterday if I have been able to get my arthritis medication ok and when was the last time I visited the doctor. Never underestimate a mother’s intuition.

• V.R. Peterson

April 9, 2020 at 9:34 am

@colleensteele, my son is doing well.

@jenc, the grocery store where he works has an apartment upstairs from the store, so he had a place to stay where he wouldn’t be exposed. Definitely not the ideal situation, but the safer one.

@brittany-foster, I definitely agree about the government fostering anxiety in everyone, but they weren’t alone. The media was only too willing to jump on the band wagon and shout worst-case scenarios from the rooftop. I think they all should be flogged.

• jen-cueva

April 9, 2020 at 11:49 am

@mamabear007 that is so amazing that the store had that spot for your son. I remember you speaking about how well they treat him. I agree with you, the safest plan. I am happy to hear that he is doing well. How are you feeling today? Hugs from Texas.

• jen-cueva

April 9, 2020 at 11:58 am

I agree with you, @brittany-foster. You do need to teach our government the Anxiety 101 class. They certainly could benefit if they would listen.

My hubby has been home all week with symptoms because of his stents back in November. I had him call his doctors. They tested him, so we have been trying to distance as much as possible. Thankfully.we just heard that he is Negative. Ironically, he woke up at 10 AM feeling better. Then, within an hour, we heard from his doctors. I am still staying on guard, but this takes a ton off of me, knowing that he tested negative. If I seem off this week, this would be why- Hehe.

We were talking in another post about moms. My mom had already planned her route to drive 8 hours to come”take care of me” if he was positive. Of course, I told her yesterday that I am OK.- She must have taken Brittany’s Anxiety 101 class. We always plan for the worst!

Page 2 of 5