Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH Has anyone been tested positive?

• Brittany Foster

April 9, 2020 at 2:32 pm

@mamabear007 you are absolutely right! This is also a good reminder for myself too and much needed. Sometimes I get caught up in comparing my pain or my “bad times” to others. it’s easy to do this and think “other people have it worse” but everyone deserves to be seen and heard no matter what. I agree Colleen, I think it is worth calling them to see if they can offer you a tele visit. I have had some appointments with over the computer, even a first patient appointment and the doctor was amazing and is currently helping me get what I need for nutrition etc after just 1 visit online! It was very similar to a in person appt with everything that was discussed. And, like me, @colleensteele I am sure that you have a boat load of medical devices to use during the visit to track your vitals ! That’s the good things about being a caregiver. Your house probably has a pulse ox monitor and a BP cuff and scale! The 3 main things they use and a thermometer. Do you have these at home?

• Brittany Foster

April 9, 2020 at 2:34 pm

@mamabear007 I think that it’s great that they offered him this place to stay. I am assuming that the apartment is run by those who own the store? Super nice of them or whoever lived there too to let him stay and be as safe as possible.

• V.R. Peterson

April 9, 2020 at 7:03 pm

Yes, @brittany-foster, the apartment is owned by the store. They never charge rent; it’s for employees that need a place to crash. I’ve known about the apartment for years. My son told me about it long before he was even diagnosed with CTEPH, when another employee needed it for a bit. The management and employees are more like family than a boss-subordinate relationship. Even with my son having to work because the store is considered essential, I’m glad he works there.

• jen-cueva

April 9, 2020 at 7:27 pm

@mamabear007, his boss and family sound like some awesome people. I’m so happy that he’s working for such good people. That’s so important and says a lot about them.

• V.R. Peterson

April 10, 2020 at 10:48 am

@colleensteele, please don’t wait too long for a tele-med appointment. Plaquenil is one of the medications that are in short supply. It may take your pharmacist awhile to get it.

Here’s a long list of medications that are in short supply: https://www.goodrx.com/blog/covid-19-drug-shortages-updates/

• Brittany Foster

April 10, 2020 at 12:35 pm

@mamabear007 I am really glad that they were able to give him a place to stay and that they didn’t even charge him for it. Sounds like he has a great place to work for! He is very lucky to have that and I am sure they are just as lucky to have him working there. Especially if he has been there for awhile. I’m sure you become close after that time.

• Brittany Foster

April 10, 2020 at 12:38 pm

@colleensteele I say, LISTEN TO YOUR MOM! Even though I’m sure you don’t like to hear that still. LOL but it’s true that moms usually do have a gut instinct and I’m sure you have that somewhere about yourself too, even if right now you are trying to push those needs aside. Listen to yourself. When you can’t listen to yourself, listen to your mom LOL this is my motto.

• jen-cueva

April 10, 2020 at 1:06 pm

I agree with @colleensteele, Moma’s know. My mom called me several times one-day last week. I thought maybe she forgot she had already talked with me earlier. No, I found out that she and my stepdad both said I did not “sound good.” She had also been texting my hubby to check in on me. Usually, she can tell by my eyes, and now that hs is not near me, she often wants to Facetime or asks me to send a pic. LOL

Do you, parents(caregivers), do this to your kids/loved ones? Patients, do your parents or caregivers ask you to do this, too?

• jen-cueva

April 22, 2020 at 3:13 pm

@shannon4jk, I wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you. I wanted to see how you are feeling and check on your daughter, too. Please update us when you can—hugs from Texas.

• Denise K Thompson

April 23, 2020 at 7:49 pm

I’m concerned we haven’t heard from Shannon, since her positive covid19 finding. Does anyone know how she’s doing, or ideally, Shannon, are you recovering?
    Concerned in Oregon.

• jen-cueva

April 24, 2020 at 11:18 am

@dinky1952, I am concerned as well about @shannon4jk. I have tagged her in a few posts to see if that helps. I am hoping that she is OK and just taking care of herself. You are so kind and considerate. How are you doing?

How are things in Oregon with this virus? I have not heard much about y’all in the news. I am hopeful that you and your loved ones are staying safe.

• Denise K Thompson

April 24, 2020 at 5:00 pm

@jen cueva, Thanks for the reply/comment. Things in Oregon are the same as most conscientious states, where we’re doing our best to stay alive & not spread this nightmare. We’re approaching 3,000 cases, for a mostly rural state with a few big citys. Care homes are a big concern. I have 2 stepdaughters & 2 stepgrandaughters who work in nursing homes & a case was just discovered where they work a few blocks from here. My son & daughter-in-law live in Cupertino, in Santa Clara Co., pretty much the epicenter for the country. I’m sure my son’s wife had it. All the testing came back neg for flu & strep, but since she was afebrile at time of visit, they would not test her. There was a death at her workplace. My son was also very sick, but was so worried about his wife, who has Addisons, he did not get checked. A couple of days ago Oregon was pinpointed as one of the 3 states for the least testing.
    Being a retired nurse, it’s maddening that we cannot pitch in, not to mention our comorbidities.
    I worry about states like Texas & hope the, “life isn’t as important as the economy”, political mentality down there does not put you at more risk.
    Stay safe.

• Colleen

April 24, 2020 at 5:20 pm

@dinky1952 I have found the most aggravating thing about this epidemic is the diversity in which people are dealing with it. I wish we were more united in how to protect ourselves and each other.

@shannon4jk has been on my mind too! If you read this Shannon, just give us a quick shout out to let us know you are ok.

• Denise K Thompson

April 24, 2020 at 6:13 pm

@colleen steele. Ya know, I still believe most of the population cares & I understand how difficult it is to be unable to meet financial needs. But best to be poor & alive than the consequences.
    I’m sure we’re all praying for Shannon, if not just keeping her in out thoughts. She is us & we are her.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 24, 2020 at 11:21 pm

Thank you everyone for thinking of me and praying for me. At this time I am still at home. Waiting to be retested to make sure I am negative. Unfortunately, 2 of my kids have been hospitalized. And I have not seen them since they left here in a ambulance. They are only 19 and 20. Both aren’t doing well. I am beyond exhausted, scared and mentally not well. I have been so selfish I kept thinking I would die from this but yet my kids are the ones laid up
    In the hospital fighting to survive. I should have been better prepared for them. I feel so bad and so helpless. And I am so weak. I don’t have any strength. And unemployment for everyone has never came ! It’s been weeks we check everyday! Nothing! And where is the stimulus checks? None of us have received a dime! So we are sick and broke. Not a good combination. Not at all. I am trying to keep my Faith because I am at my breaking point. All I hear is only the elderly or people with immune issues die from the virus! My youngest son has never been sick a day in his life! … Please stay safe

• Colleen

April 25, 2020 at 2:37 am

@shannon4jk I am relieved to hear from you but so worried and sad for you and your family and what you are all going through! It breaks my heart that you think you have been selfish. The circumstances unfolding from this pandemic is nothing any of us could have predicted. You have been sick and focused on treatments and all the other elements of PH and underlying conditions, which is exactly what you should have been doing. My 2 children are also 19 and 20 and the youngest is always healthy and strong. He had a Covid-19 scare. The results was negative but whatever he had was still bad and it took him a while to recover. I had not prepared for the healthiest person in the house to be the one to fall ill. Sometimes things happen that you just can’t prepare for.

Truly Shannon, I am so sorry that this has hit all of you so hard, physically, financially and emotionally. At least now you know how much we care about you here. We noticed that you have been quiet and we got worried. I hope it gives you a little comfort knowing that you and your family are in the thoughts and prayers of many.

• V.R. Peterson

April 25, 2020 at 11:44 am

Oh @shannon4jk, it’s not your fault your children got sick! I’m praying for your entire family. May your children come home to you soon.

• jen-cueva

April 25, 2020 at 3:02 pm

@shannon4jk, I am grateful that you posted but am heartbroken with the news about your kids. My heart goes out to you, and I keep y’all in my thoughts and prayers. Please don’t be so hard on yourself. You did not cause them to be sick, although you feel helpless as a mom.

Don’t hesitate to reach out. We are here for support, and I hope and pray that your kids improve and can come home to you soon. I want to share this Rare disease fund with you, that I just read about. I also recently shared a financial assistance link in the COVID-19 information that I can link here, too. I am hopeful that someone can help you financially from these sources.

• jen-cueva

April 25, 2020 at 3:12 pm

@dinky1952, I did not realize that you were a nurse previously, too. I find that how they tend to share the stats with this virus is weird. As you mention, Oregon as just as vulnerable and precautious, too. So many states are not discussed. It has been quite a mess.

I do tend to agree that the majority of people do care. IT is the rest who make things difficult for everyone else.

I hope and pray that your family stays safe. It certainly is scary when working in healthcare. Nursing homes have been hit hard, unfortunately. I am sending you hugs from Texas.

• jen-cueva

May 12, 2020 at 8:07 am

Hey @shannon4jk, I was thinking about you on Mother’s Day and meant to post. I am worried about you. I have been keeping you and your family in my prayers. Please know that we are here and update when you can—sending you hugs and prayers from Texas.

• Colleen

May 12, 2020 at 1:13 pm

Same! I think of @shannon4jk often too! I hope she is recovering and managing ok. Update when you are able, Shannon. We are here for you whenever you need us.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    May 18, 2020 at 7:35 pm

Hi Jen and Colleen and everyone else who has left a message. Thank you for thinking of me and my kids. My Son is now home and doing well. He never needed to be on a life support. We have learned he has diabetes and high blood pressure and Doctors think that played a big part in why Covid-19 made him very sick. But he’s learning to manage his health conditions and will be fine. My daughter got life supported to the Children’s Hospital where she receives care for her Lupus and heart defect. She was on life support (vented) for 16 days and it was life changing. She has a long road ahead for recovery but is stable and doing well. I am not sure when she will be home. But hopefully soon. She is in good hands and I have to say every medical personnel that I have came in contact with has been extremely helpful and kind. And they have saved my kids lives. When I said earlier that I feel bad my kids got sick. Yes I do feel bad but I do no it’s not my fault. I just need to stop being self centered and always concentrating on my own health when my kids have needs to be taken care of. And to ask them what they want (life support?, CPR) those types of things. Because they are young adults and deserve to decide what they want when it comes to life and death. As morbid as that sounds . And I had to make decisions that I am
    Not sure my daughter would have wanted. But I am glad I chose the way I did. She has a whole life ahead waiting for her and she will get stronger. As for people not taking Covid-19 serious, stay away from them. Seriously, this virus is not a game. My other sons have gone back to work and that scares me
    To death. But bills need paid, and food needs to be bought. What a awful situation this has been. So stay strong and stay safe and please stay home if you can. Let’s hope they find a vaccine! My sons have all donated plasma and will keep doing so for as long as people need it. Thank you everyone for your kind words. Stay safe!! And I hope everyone is doing well? Mentally and physically this is hard times for everyone. Take care

• jen-cueva

May 18, 2020 at 9:55 pm

Oh @shannon4jk, just seeing that you are safe and posting made my day. I’ve been thinking of you and your kids so often. I’m happy to hear that while not at their best, both kids are stable. That’s a blessing!

Learning of your son’s diabetes and high blood pressure is tough but so happy those are things that y’all can work with his doctors to control. It must have been so very difficult for you during these long weeks. I’m grateful that your daughter is getting the care that she needs. I’m sorry that you had to make those decisions, but you did great!

This reminded me of why I wrote out my Advance Directives. It was after a traumatic hospitalization when my family made decisions that they should not have. After that I spoke with them and my medical team to do my Advance Directives. It’s complicated but needed when we think it’s not.

I hope that you’re taking care of yourself the best you can. Bills can wait, you and your kids come first. Are there any food pantry’s or schools giving food there? A case manager at the hospital may have some resources, too.

You’ve been through so much, take it easy on yourself. Please know you’re thought of often. I’m praying for you and your kids. Take care and keep us posted on your daughter, too. I hope that she will be home soon.

• Colleen

May 19, 2020 at 12:02 pm

@shannon4jk I seriously take a big sigh of relief every time you update us. You have a lot going on and we have been concerned for you and your kids. I’m sure I don’t need to tell you this but taking care of yourself is also taking care of your kids. You are an amazing mom and it sounds to me like you have made good decisions for them. It’s not easy when they become young adults and you need to allow them freedom to make decision, even serious ones. I’ve been through this with my own son. Just try to encourage discussion to help them really think big/difficult decisions all the way through.

So, how are you doing? How is your health?

Page 3 of 5