Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition Has Your Medical Team Suggested a Plant-Based Diet?

• Has Your Medical Team Suggested a Plant-Based Diet?

Posted by jen-cueva on August 11, 2021 at 11:44 am

One of our newer forum members, @indihomaaol-com, shares that her medical team suggests a plant-based diet. They suggested no meat and no dairy, along with no salt. I would certainly find this a challenge.

We discussed a whole-food diet. But not much about plant-based. I know several within the PH community who have tried plant-based and had positive results.

Has your medical team suggested you try a plant-based diet? If yes, how did it go? Do you continue to follow this diet? What tips can you share that have helped you to follow this limited diet?

jen-cueva replied 2 years ago 4 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • jen-cueva

August 16, 2021 at 11:48 am

Hi @indihomaaol-com, how is the diet going? What foods are you limiting yourself to? Do you have any favorite recipes or meals that you would like to share?

Last night, I made a roasted turkey breast, sauteed green beans, and baked sweet potatoes. My hubby joked that I must be ready for Thanksgiving, LOL

• Rickie Daniels

August 16, 2021 at 12:00 pm

Hi Jen,

At the ripe old age of 78 — I am not taking this diet routine at all serious.  The medications have enough side effects that I’m not willing to throw this old body into apoplexy to make her happy.  I was hoping for more information about the PAH, not diet.   It has taken 11 months to get through all the delays of appointments and departing doctors and wise guys at appointment desks that tell me — “No one gets in to see Doctor —- on their first visit.” Excuse me, my primary doctor sent a personal letter on my behalf.  “Oh, let me refer you to the next in line. ”  So the next in line says “The next available is June 22.”  Six weeks after my primary sent the letter.  Baloney — I wish they would walk in my shoes sometime.  Sorry to vent, but I’m sure you all can relate.

Rickie

• jen-cueva

August 17, 2021 at 11:06 am

Hi @indihomaaol-com, I am sorry that you have had such a struggle with trying to get more information. And to see a doctor about PH. Sending you big hugs from Texas.

Yes, unfortunately, most of us have been through this or something similar. It’s horrible how much energy we must put into trying to get an accurate diagnosis and treatment.

Some people are rude and have no clue what the struggles we go through. Often, I think they believe we “like” being sick. If they only knew how much we would love to give back PH and other health issues, right?

I support your thoughts on diet. The medications and side effects added to the symptoms are enough. I do try and eat better, but I also am going to enjoy life. I enjoy eating different foods. Usually, I eat healthy most days, but if I want chicken wings or pizza, I eat a little and move along.

When I was diagnosed with kidney disease, my kidney doctor gave me a list of foods to not eat. I said, those are most of what I eat, so I am not starving, LOL.

Try to limit your sodium, which is most important. Our bodies are different, but sodium causes fluid retention quickly; that is my best suggestion.

Life is too short, and we deal with enough.

• Rickie Daniels

August 17, 2021 at 1:31 pm

Thank you for the nice words Jen, I really appreciate them.

I found the “Original No Salt” sodium-free salt at the grocery store.  I was amazed at how much is poured out even in a regular salt shaker.  I’m not big on salt anyway — so no matter.

I keep going to the  door hoping to see the medicine has appeared.  I finally called about it to find out the pharmacy had sent the script back because it was incorrectly written and it got way laid  somehow. (really!)   So what should have been an overnight delivery is now stretching out to over a week.  Oh my.  The guy at the other end of the line apologized profusely, and I understand.  But gee whiz — do I have something written on my forehead saying kick me again???  Here’s hoping the stormy sea will settle down now.  Will be starting rehab soon — knock on wood that gets me back in shape.  The covid restrictions haven’t done much to help getting out and about either.  Thanks again for the good words.

Rickie

• jen-cueva

August 18, 2021 at 9:55 am

Oh no, @indihomaaol-com, I am sorry to hear about the medicine issue. Geez, I know it is frustrating, to say the least.

If I do not receive my medications as stated, I call Accredo, the specialty pharmacy. If they are waiting on something from the doctor, I email or call my PH nurse. She is awesome, and this usually helps to streamline things a bit more.

Again, I know it should not take this more energy or spoons to be sick and get our medications.

I hope that things will turn around once you get the medication, and you will have a much better experience.

I am happy that you found a nice salt substitute. Many like Mrs. Dash because they offer many flavors. I was never a fan of those, but I have not tried any newer flavors. I cook with a ton of garlic, lemon, and other fresh herbs to add flavor.

Big hugs again and positive thoughts and prayers that things improve soon for you.

• Rickie Daniels

August 20, 2021 at 1:01 pm

Finally the meds are in — they are designed for the COPD, the trusty ole Trelegy is no longer working for me so they switched me to a nebulizer with fluid meds that match the trelegy formula in hopes that the breathability will do better for me….we’ll see.

I’ll try to turn my eating around abit, but…..

Rickie

• jen-cueva

August 23, 2021 at 11:12 am

Ya, I am so happy that your meds finally arrived, @indihomaaol-com. How is that going so far for your COPD? I am hopeful that that will help you some with symptoms.

Yes, I feel you on that last note. Eat and enjoy in moderation, and you have to see what affects your body. For example, I know if I ate pizza and chips daily, I would certainly be swelling like a blimp,. LOL

Those are the types of food that I limit, but I don’t really restrict anything 100% unless it is something that I don’t like anyway.

• Rickie Daniels

August 23, 2021 at 11:56 am

Kind of yes and no on improvement with the new meds.  I think I need to give it more time.  Each treatment is 20 minutes twice a day — I’m learning to sit still sort of.  Obviously an undisciplined individual here.  Oh well.   thank heavens for the tube to entertain.

Rickie

• Jill Upshaw

August 17, 2021 at 2:19 pm

I eat what I want to eat but I never ate salt or salty foods. As far as dairy, I eat cheese and I use butter. Sometimes cheese is all I can get down quickly if I need something. I do eat meat but I am eating less and less of it by choice. For some reason, meat is not tasting as good as it used to and it takes more effort to eat meat. However, if I want it, I definitely do eat it. I eat very little of anything fried and I never have. I don’t eat fries or chips but I do like my baked potatoes. That all being said, the diet probably does help a lot with the salt intake, fat intake, and inflammation. Since COVID, my tastes and likes have changed a lot. I eat breakfast a lot at First Watch. It is a healthy place but very good. Instead of potatoes, I get a side of mixed greens that is treated with lemon juice. It REALLY is very good. They have artisan wheat toast with real butter. Then I usually get an omelet with everything in it including cheese and sour cream. They use only fresh ingredients and guess what….I feel better when I eat breakfast there and I eat more . Then I slack off the rest of the day to fruit, vegetables and cheese. As much as I resent any changes this dreadful disease has made me make, some of the changes are good and they do help. I think the diet would definitely be helpful and it might give me more energy, but I will only modify what really works for me.

• Rickie Daniels

August 17, 2021 at 2:58 pm

This all sounds good in my book — what I couldn’t believe was the salt content in cheese, which I dearly love.  Oh well.  I’m finding that unless you get a really good cut of beef , it’s lacking.  I only use ground chuck when I want a meatloaf or a casserole.  In the bread department I found the Arnold’s Oatnut bread is absolutely delightful, much to my surprise.  I guess it will take some adjustments…ahem.

• jen-cueva

August 18, 2021 at 10:09 am

Hi @indihomaaol-com, I love cheese and try to limit it, but some days I crave it. My hubby swears that I crave and have such different tastebuds than before. He says that I did not crave this much when pregnant with our daughter, who is now in her 20s.

Does anyone else have weird cravings or a change in your tastes?

Over the years (16 +), the medication with PH and other coexisting illnesses has certainly changed my tastebuds. I like pretty hot foods. He says those tastebuds must be gone because I eat spicier than he will eat. But I have tried to cut back on those foods with age.

• jen-cueva

August 18, 2021 at 10:04 am

Hey @upshtcx, I love First Watch, and I always get those lightly dressed greens with lemon. I have never been a breakfast eater. But when we go here, we tend to go for brunch. They do have some amazing food, and their portions are large for me. That toast with the fresh jam is great, too.

Funny that you mention meat. I usually prefer chicken and seafood. But, I do crave a steak at times(thanks to anemia). Last night. We were planning to have a shrimp burrito bowl. But I was craving steak for some reason. So, we changed plans and had steak. I ate almost 6 oz sirloin (Sasha helped) and a salad. I usually love baked potato, ut last night was steak and salad.

Excellent job on trying to limit foods; I do know that many foods add to inflammation. Plus, I usually tend to graze like a toddler throughout the day. But sugar has been more of a craving for me post-COVID, and it is annoying, LOL.

I often eat nuts, seeds, and a little cheese if I am not too hungry. I love cheese but not much other dairy except ice cream, LOL.

Thanks for sharing, and now I will be craving Fist Watch. I try to make those at home by using a spring mix and lemon juice with a drizzle of olive oil. Theirs still tastes better.

• Terry

August 18, 2021 at 1:10 am

Interesting comments. Red meat is a major source of iron and I was a big red meat eater until I went on my medication for pah. I was particularly fond of eye fillet or scotch fillet (rib eye) grilled twice a week . In another life I managed a meatworks. Now I can’t stand the smell of it being grilled and don’t particularly enjoy eating it . We still eat red meat but in different formats eg. Mince or stirfry. In respect to salt the only time I add any is to a boiled egg. That a lie, sometimes I cheat and add some S&P to fried or scrambled eggs as well . We also have fish twice a week ,one oily . I particularly love fresh golden snapper in batter together with unsalted chips ( fries). The batter is naughty I know but hell its good. Don’t drink milk ,never have ,but do like cheese which I wash down with copious cups of black expresso coffee.

• jen-cueva

August 18, 2021 at 10:16 am

Hi @terry, as I mentioned above, I rarely have great red meat. But I often crave it, and the reason I am certain is my low iron (anemia). My hubby preferred ribeyes, but we did switch to sirloin, which is leaner. But it has to be cooked right, or I won’t eat any.

Yes, that battered fish is so darn good. I grew up eating it like that; pretty much most of our meat was battered and fried. But, I now enjoy grilled snapper, cod, grilled fish tacos, and others. But occasionally, I will indulge and eat some battered delicious fish. I have not had that craving in a while.

I eat a ton of chicken breast, fish, and seafood with fresh veggies on the side. When it is cooler, I tend to make sheet pan meals with the lean protein and veggies roasting all at once. Easy and simple clean-up, too.

Oh yes, those chips(fries) are the devil. But I have cut those to only sharing a few of my hubby’s. Well, maybe half some days, hehe.

How is the gallbladder?

• Terry

August 18, 2021 at 5:33 pm

What! OMG are you telling me I have a problem I don’t know about?. Na, no worries she’ll be right. With all the expresso I have daily and zero alcohol . Watched a bloke run up a hill yesterday and thought ‘lucky bugger’ then thought hang on I don’t need to run up hills anymore. Enjoy the day.

• jen-cueva

April 18, 2022 at 1:39 pm

Hi @sandydenn, here’s another topic post about plant-based diets where some share their thoughts and experiences. Hopefully, this will benefit you and your PH and autoimmune disease symptoms.