• Have you experienced “smelly” medications?

Posted by jen-cueva on April 13, 2020 at 9:38 am

Have you ever opened a bottle of medication that has an unpleasant smell? I do know that certain medicines often tend to do this. But, I have been on Aldactone(spironolactone) for almost 15 years. A while back, I picked up my refill as usual. Once I was home, I was going to combine the few that I had left with the new ones.

Once I opened the new bottle, I noticed an unfamiliar and unpleasant smell. The tablets also were not exactly the same. I immediately called the pharmacy to question them. I thought that maybe they had made a mistake. They were shocked that I called. The pharmacist told me that they switched suppliers, and this was the new tablet. He did also agree that they had a smell, unlike the previous ones. But he told me that this would be from now on as the old supplier was no longer being used.

Thankfully, I pat attention to my pills and the odors that they may have. Would you know if this happened to you? Have you opened any medication bottles and been surprised by an unpleasant smell?

I have heard from those on Remodulin that that has an awful smell that one becomes accustomed to. Anyone here on Remodulin care to share?

Brittany Foster replied 4 years ago 5 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • Dawn

April 13, 2020 at 11:34 am

Jen, I’m not on Remodulin but was taking NP Thyroid until just recently and it was the worst smelling medication I’ve ever taken. I thought I’d get used to it over time, but never did – it smelled bad right up to the last day I took it! Usually the change in supplier is when you see a difference. I’ve had suppliers changed, and the color/shape of the tablet is different. Then I’m looking online to be sure it matches the mfg picture. Even if I go by what the prescription label says about shape/color, I want to see a picture. I don’t like it when I’ve taken something long term and then it looks different.

• jen-cueva

April 13, 2020 at 11:47 am

Hi @dawnt, that is great that you stay updated on your medications and know when something looks and or smells unfamiliar. I agree that when I have been on a specific brand for years, it can throw me off. I have looked meds up online, too. But first, I usually call the pharmacist before I do that.

I have never smelled the NP thyroid, but I do know that certain medications have an unpleasant smell. Have you had several medicines that have been changed due to suppliers?

• Colleen

April 13, 2020 at 12:09 pm

@jenc and @dawnt, I have contacted the pharmacy a few times due to a different appearance to medications, but I never contacted them about a change in smell. I would hope that if it was bad enough I would think to call them, so I’m going to assume it has never been an issue with my son’s meds.

However, he does take some meds that have been smelly since day 1. Cyclosporine is an immunosuppressant that to my senses, smells like stale beer. To make matters worse, he is on a high dose which means taking two small pills of it and one that is the size of a horse pill – 2 times a day.

He was diagnosed with PH when he was 8 which meant taking smaller doses of adult medications which was only available in liquid form. A few of those smelled horrible. As soon as Cullen was old enough to take all of his medications in pill format he would refuse to take anything liquid. I think the smell more so than the taste is what bothered him.

The question about smelly medications is a good one Jen. Thanks for posting about it!

• Brittany Foster

April 13, 2020 at 12:15 pm

I have never heard of medications smelling funky. Now you are all going to having me smelling every pill before I take them just for the fun of it. Thanks a lot haha! But when I was growing up and having to take the liquid forms of medications this was more of an issue. Like Colleen is saying here. I couldn’t stand the smell or taste of my laxative called sennakot. It tasted so gross and looked like molasses. NASTY . There were a few medications that had a better taste like the bubble gum smelling and tasting antibiotics that I have been on before. Those were the best and actually tasted pretty good. To this day, I can’t stand anything that tastes like grape flavoring because of the grape over the counter cough meds! I shiver just thinking about it. It’s easy to get taste aversions to things because of medications.

• Dawn

April 13, 2020 at 8:35 pm

Jen, I’ve had a few changed due to change in mfg, including spironolactone. I’ve never really noticed any change in effectiveness of the drug, but I don’t like changes in my medications – especially ones I’ve been taking long term and that seem to work well.

Colleen, I’ve never been good with taking pills. I have a very sensitive gag reflex, so totally understand the ‘size of a horse pill’! Love horses, hate horse size pills!

• jen-cueva

April 13, 2020 at 10:18 pm

@colleensteele and @brittany-foster, I am now picturing y’all every morning- opening each medicine bottle and sniffing them all. I am sure that your loved ones will think you have lost it. Hehe.

For me, the Aldactone smelled strange as soon as I opened the nee one. It was just a strange and unpleasant smell. I still have those, and every time that I open it, I am prepared for that smell.

Certain vitamins and antibiotics have had strange smells to me too. Oh, speaking of laxatives that smell, if anyone has taken Lactulose, it is a liquid, and it is stinky to me, also.

Now, can you imagine my hubby at home as I smell everything before I eat it? He says that I throw out food that he may eat as I always think it is “bad” if I think it smells weird. Hehe-

Colleen, I hate those huge horse pills, often breaking meds in half, some say they smell worse. Do you notice that?

Britt, I have not had the bubble gum or grape-flavored meds for awhile. Bubble gum was always my favorite.

• jen-cueva

April 13, 2020 at 10:23 pm

@dawnt, I am the same. I prefer to stick with medication if it has been working for me. I know that with some medicines, some of us have a different reaction to another brand. For me, with the changes in Aldactone, I have not noticed any issues yet either. Thank goodness.

I love that comment, “love horses not horse pills”- Hehe.

• Brittany Foster

April 14, 2020 at 10:11 am

@jenc I have been pretty sensitive to brand changes and sometimes the generic form just doesn’t work as well. I have always had to get the real form of the laxatives that I take on a daily basis. My dad would always try to get the cheaper CVS brand or pharmacy brand one and it just was never as strong as the original. Not sure if that is just with laxatives, but it kind of scarred me from the no name brands even though sometimes they essentially have the same strength and ingredients. Just a preference thing for some medications and I spend the extra money on it. Same for sleeping medications! The generic brands were never as good as getting me to sleep.

• Brittany Foster

April 14, 2020 at 10:13 am

@jenc I totally blame this post for making me smell the TPN bag that I started yesterday. I legit smelled the bag of it (it’s enclosed like how an IV fluid bag looks) and the nurse looked at me like I had ten heads hahahaha! She was like “what are you doing?” I replied, “sorry, I had to, if it’s going into my body I need to know what it smells like”. You literally have me sniffing plastic IV bags hahahaha. I am laughing way too hard at this this morning! Hope you are laughing now too. 🙂

• Douglas Knuth

April 14, 2020 at 3:51 pm

Hi Jen Cueva, I use Remodulin myself for sub q for almost 8 years now. I don’t have the best sniffer anymore after a lifetime of working in factories with solvents etc, but yes, there is a “mediciny” smell to it. It’s obviously very strong stuff! I couldn’t tell you exactly what it smells like at the moment (will focus a bit on that next pump/med change)but many things smell. I’ve just been so happy to be alive that I never really studied the smell. My cats will literally jump away from my table when I get out my remodulin equipment to do my maintenance. Something in my Remo pack triggers them to leave now! It could also be the smell of the alcohol & skin barrier wipes. But pills don’t generally trigger my nose of change. If it did, I would also question what the heck is going on with them. Will try to nail down the Remo smell in about 3 days and get back to you here. Everyone stay safe and be well.

• Colleen

April 14, 2020 at 4:13 pm

@dawnt my son actually takes pills of any size like a champ but will fight you tooth and nail if you try to give him something in liquid format. The big pill that he takes bothers me when I set up his meds for the week because the smell is so strong. I’m use to it now but for a while it would actually give me a headache. I don’t know how he manages to swallow the thing! Ick!

• Colleen

April 14, 2020 at 4:16 pm

@brittany-foster you are so funny! I can just picture you smelling the IV fluid bag and the nurse looking at you like you are losing it!

• Brittany Foster

April 15, 2020 at 7:54 am

@douglas-knuth funny that you say that about your cats and the smell of certain things that they run away from or leave alone. My dog is usually into everything and loves straps on bags to chew etc. But, when it comes to my medical tubing and my supplies and even my medical backpack he does not get near. He tried smelling it once but then just completely walked away from it and now ignores it when it’s around and doesn’t try to bite the tubing, syringes, etc. I feel like they have a good instinct for what is safe to go after and what isn’t. At least that’s how my dog is!

• Brittany Foster

April 15, 2020 at 8:02 am

@colleensteele I can remember my mom pulling me out of class in Elementary school so that the nurse could give me my pre-med for the dentist ! I am sure you are familiar with this. I remember it was the nastiest smell and texture and just felt like I was chewing on chalk! ughhhh to this day I get the nasty chills just thinking about it hahaha! Terrible memories . I think I would rather do gross liquid than that chew-able antibiotic.

• jen-cueva

April 15, 2020 at 12:20 pm

Hehe @brittany-foster, this made my day! I laugh every time I think about you sniffing your bag. I am happy to hear that we made your nurse laugh. Either that or she will not be back. Hehe

She may think you are crazy after that, but who cares? I love this!!

• jen-cueva

April 15, 2020 at 12:24 pm

Hey @douglas-knuth That is too funny about your cats. My dog likes to sniff certain bath oils and melts that KI use. She will come in and starting sniffing with her nose in the air. I have noticed that she likes lavender. My hubby says it is because she is a girl. Hehe

Yes, please see what you can compare that Remodulin smells too. I know my PH friends who are on it say it has a “distinct” smell. One is on IV remodulin and says after almost 10 years t still has that smell to her.

I agree, it is a life-saving medication, so who cares what it smells like.

• Colleen

April 15, 2020 at 1:27 pm

@douglas-knuth I would also be concerned if regular pills have an odor. The ones that my son takes that smells are the gel type pills that have liquid inside of them. The smell of the medication inside them penetrates through the shell and it’s so gross.

My son was on Flolan and he always swore it had an odor to it. He knew when there was a leak because he could smell it before he would feel the effects of not receiving proper dosing.

Funny that you mentioned your cat’s reaction. My cat likes to hang out when I’m filling my son’s weekly case because he seems to love the smell of the vitamin D3 suppliment. It is a gel pill and although I don’t smell an odor from it I think he does…and he likes it. Either that or he instinctively knows he is in need of some vitamin D? LOL! I actually have to fight him off to stay away from the suppliments.

• Colleen

April 15, 2020 at 1:29 pm

@brittany-foster I know exactly what you mean about the pre-med for the dentist. Have you ever felt nauseous just from looking at someones expression when they experience something distasteful? I feel that way when I think about the medication. Call it, sympathy nausea.

• Douglas Knuth

April 17, 2020 at 12:14 pm

Hi Jen,
    Well, I just changed my pump, syringe, etc. I pushed out a small but sufficient amount of Remodulin from the old syringe and I could smell a little something mediciny from it. But as far as the smell being strong or irritating it wasn’t. I think what my cats smell is the alcohol wipes from me cleaning the preparation tray, etc. Take care to you, stay well.

• Brittany Foster

April 17, 2020 at 1:54 pm

@douglas-knuth funny that you bring up the alcohol wipe smell. I actually like the smell of rubbing alcohol and I really like the smell of the wipes. I have been doing my own flushes in the PICC line and giving myself nutrition through it so I need to keep things as sterile as possible. Now, when I open up the new wipes I just HAVE TO smell it and take a strong sniff LOL. I am probably a little strange for doing this. I heard once that alcohol wipe smell helps with nausea but I don’t know how true that is and why that would be true LOL

• Douglas Knuth

April 17, 2020 at 2:21 pm

Hello Brittany,
    I don’t mind the smell of the alcohol wipes either. I don’t quite go to the point of taking a strong sniff, but I don’t think you are necessarily strange for doing so. I have never heard about alcohol helping nausea…when I was young and drinking beer, etc I seem to remember “a number of times” where I became nauseated… and worse haha. But I digress…
    I am happy to see that you are apparently doing well at this time. Hopefully you will continue in good health.

• Brittany Foster

April 18, 2020 at 8:34 am

@douglas-knuth thank you so much. I am doing the best I can considering the changes that have been going on with my nutrition plan, seeing a nurse a few times a week, trying to still work from home and juggle all my health pretty much on my own. It has been stressful and a lot to take in last week, but towards the end of the week I started feeling more like myself so was thankful for that ! A small victory is still a victory.