• Have You Used A Weighted Blanket?

Posted by jen-cueva on September 18, 2019 at 8:58 pm

I know that some time back someone mentioned weighted blankets. I tried a search and nothing shows up, so starting a new post.

I have read several articles and reviews on different weighted blankets. Here is one site I looked at.

I use a lightweight blanket all year, even if I sweat at night.I feel like its more of a ” comforting” thing. I do have issues sleeping and leg pains that often worsen at night. I also often deal with trying to quiet my mind and anxiety.

Have you tried weighted blankets? If so what did you look for in your search? I read about the varied weights and thicknesses. I didn’t realize that they Were so costly.

If you’ve used one or looked into buying one, share your experiences and thoughts.

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 11 months ago 9 Members · 33 Replies
  • 33 Replies
  • robin-webster

September 18, 2019 at 10:00 pm

My husband bought me one for Christmas. I had seen it in the store and thought it was way too much money, but he went back after it. I love it, because it’s kind of soothing overall (I have extreme anxiety about trying to fall asleep — PTSD issues) but also because I have horrible leg cramps at night and that slight pressure from it helps prevent or relieve them. It doesn’t feel overly heavy on me when it’s spread out, but I do find it way to heavy for me to lift by myself as far as bending over to fold it up and putting it away, etc. That makes me short of breath, so I avoid it. And I did put it away for the summer, because it was too warm for me. I have a cousin with sleep issues who seemed interested but said she gets very hot at night and didn’t think she could tolerate it, so on a random internet search I found one for her that is a BOTH weighted and a cooling blanket. It wasn’t cheap (so she wouldn’t order it) but if I had the problem of being too warm and wanted a weighted one, I wouldn’t have hesitated. I realize they aren’t for everyone, so I don’t know how you avoid buying one and then maybe finding out you don’t like the sensation of it. My adult kids tried it out when they were here, and they didn’t care for the way it felt on them at all. But of course they don’t have any medical issues, AND they weren’t actually trying to fall asleep (which I pointed out could have been a very different experience.) My advice, after much online research by reading the comments from buyers on amazon, is that if you’re going to get one, don’t try to get a cheap one … go ahead and invest a bit. Because of the way they are constructed, you need quality stitching and good spacing on the beads, and a nice texture. I also wouldn’t order one from another country (they do have pretty affordable ones) because I read that the off-gassing from them can be horrible and last for months of trying to air them out. You also want to be really careful to get the proper weight. Guidelines are on the boxes, and it’s so many pounds per your own body weight. Mine was purchased from Walmart and it cost about $150. I’m pleased with the quality.

• Colleen

September 19, 2019 at 7:42 am

Thank you for creating this topic @jenc because I have always been curious about these blankets. Robin, I really appreciate the detailed experience and advice that you shared. The information is so helpful and I’m considering purchasing one for Christmas that my son and I can share.

I think he might really like it now, post-transplant, but I wonder if the pressure would have been too much for him when he had PH. I’m thinking about the lead vests for scans and xrays. They made breathing even more difficult for my son which caused him great anxiety during the tests. I know the blanket and these vests aren’t quite the same thing but it has me wondering if he would have found the pressure comforting or if it would have made him anxious.

• v-r-peterson

September 19, 2019 at 9:27 am

I love my weighted blanket. Even in the summer, I have to stay under the covers or I can’t sleep. Because I feel more secure and relaxed when swaddled, the blanket is perfect for me. I also bought one for my son and his wife. He can’t sleep under it because it makes him claustrophobic. His wife, on the other hand, loves it, and she folds it and sleeps with it doubled on her side of the bed. If you suffer from claustrophobia, a weighted blanket might not be the best option for you.

My weighted blanket does keep me warmer, but because I get cold when I sleep, this is a benefit for me. I chose a 15-lb. blanket for me, because that’s what the manufacturer recommended based on my weight. In hindsight, I wish I had gotten a 20 or 25 pound blanket. Whichever weight you choose, make sure you get a cover made specifically for weighted blankets. The blanket ties or snaps into the cover, and it’s much easier to wash the cover than the blanket.

• brittany-foster

September 19, 2019 at 12:38 pm

I have the opposite problem and WISH I got cold in the middle of the night. I really sweat a lot in my sleep and didn’t know this about myself until I had a sleep study done. During the study they measure how much the person is sweating too with different temp sensors along the body. The tech had to put the temp at 56 degrees in order to stop the sweating from happening. My body temperature has some trouble with regulating itself especially when I am not aware of what’s going on like during my sleep.

• Colleen

September 20, 2019 at 9:57 pm

Thanks @mamabear007 for sharing your experience with weighted blankets. Between your input and @robin-webster I’m putting it on the Christmas wish list. I think I would benefit with one and possibly my son too.

• v-r-peterson

September 21, 2019 at 10:37 am

You’re welcome, Colleen. Once I got my blanket, I didn’t know how I lived without it. Now I can’t sleep without it. If you like to sew (I don’t any more), you can find instructions for making your own.

• brittany-foster

September 19, 2019 at 12:36 pm

Definitely true Robin. I think that when spending the money on something like this, research really has to be done on it in order to find the best one. I knew of a lot of parents who used weighted blankets for their children with autism and it seemed to help relax their body and mind at night. I feel like this would be something that would be good for me. I have a lot of friends who also have anxiety and PTSD from medical procedures and surgeries. my blanket and comforter that I have at home is actually pretty heavy but it’s not necessarily labeled as a weighted blanket. I am the type of person who NEEDS blankets on me when I sleep because of the pressure from them and I also need the room at a really cold temperature. I have a pad for my mattress that goes on top of the mattress just before the top sheet and it is a cooling cover so the bed stays nice and cool. I sweat a lot in my sleep so if I were to get something like this it would have to be one of the cooling ones or else I would wake up in a pool of sweat even with the temperature of the room at 60 degrees.

• jen-cueva

September 19, 2019 at 2:37 pm

Thanks so much, everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences. You’ve all added to my list of questions and thoughts.

I prefer it cooler to sleep because I do sweat but prefer a lightweight blanket and sheet all year, except my feet. I would think the cooling one could work. But, I also am sensitive to pressure on my legs at times. Yes, I know I’m a mess, HeHe

I certainly agree with Robin, if I try one I would have to save and get one. I’m experimenting with unconventional treatments to explore xi this was one I was interested in.

I appreciate everyone who takes their time to contribute. We are all so different so it’s tough to know what works. Reading the experiences of others here help more than you know,

• brittany-foster

September 20, 2019 at 10:04 am

Jen,
        you really got some great feedback on this one. I have always wondered about the weighted blankets too. When I had my surgery on my stomach it surprisingly helped when I had something heavy to hold. It was actually a stuffed animal that was filled with heavy beans that you could put into the microwave like a heating pad. Just the pressure from it and the warmth felt really good. I forget the exact name of the stuffed animals that they make but I would really recommend it for pain relief too. And it just gives that right amount of warmth and nothing too overbearing or uncomfortable.

• robin-webster

September 20, 2019 at 1:39 pm

Brittany,
        I came across something at the peak of my G.I. issues last year that would work really well, similar to what you are describing the stuffed animal. It’s a microwavable heating pad filled with organic flaxseed (unscented) and its outer cover is fleece/cotton. They come in different sizes and are made by a company called Sacksy Thyme. You can use it hot or cold (out of the freezer.) It helped me so much I bought a second one for work, and then my co-worker liked it so much she had me order her one. I got it on amazon (since I have free shipping with Prime) but you can order right off the company’s web site. It has just enough weight to it to feel good on the stomach but not so much that it’s too much. (I think they may have had scents, but I don’t recall. I always go with unscented due to the breathing issues.)

• Colleen

September 20, 2019 at 10:02 pm

Robin, this sounds similar to what a friend made for my son during his transplant recovery. She made corn bags that could go in the freezer or microwave. He always used his heated. Like you mentioned, he can’t do scents so the corn bags were nice because they give off a nice sweet scent. The combination of weight and heat is nice. We have used them on cold winter nights too, just tuck a heated one under the covers for some extra warmth.

• v-r-peterson

September 20, 2019 at 3:41 pm

You can do the same thing by pouring beans into a clean sock and sewing the end shut. If you don’t have a sewing machine (or if it’s buried under tons of yarn like my sewing machine), just tie the top of the sock into a knot.

• brittany-foster

September 20, 2019 at 9:07 pm

Wow! I did not know this! So good to know. What beans do you use to make it? Does it stay warm for awhile? My stuffed animal like this stays warm for like an hour then it goes back on the microwave. The only heat wrap I found that works for a long time is the therma care heat wraps they last for 8 hours. Helps my pain along with medication.

• v-r-peterson

September 21, 2019 at 10:30 am

I use whatever kind of beans I happen to have in my storage (kidney, red, lentils — or even rice). It stays warm for at least 30 minutes. The thickness of the surrounding fabric (or sock) determines how long the dried “food” holds onto its heat. You can also put it in the freezer if you need a cold pack.

• jen-cueva

September 22, 2019 at 1:10 pm

Wow, I am impressed and appreciate so much awesome feedback here. I have so many options and things to decide on.

I like the reusable heat packs that you speak of @robin-webster and @mamabear007. It remained of the ones that Colleen shared with us that used corn.

My hubby came home yesterday from Costco and said he almost bought me a weighted blanket there. They have some 15 LB ones, on sale with $20 off right now, so they are $50. I am not sure about the brand or anything. I just know that he said it was a new item. He remembered me talking about them.

For myself, I think I would need a child-size or small as it would just be for me. He doesn’t need or want it on his side of the bed. LOL

Thank to you all again for sharing so much helpful information.

• brittany-foster

September 20, 2019 at 9:20 pm

Robin ,
    Thank you for sharing that website with those heating pads ! I love the reusable ones ! I’ll have to take a look at the website too and see what they have. I’m sure they even come in different patterns and stuff. Thanks again!

• rebecca-talkie

October 15, 2019 at 11:27 pm

Wow – this sounds like something I might like. My daughter has one. I am going to ask her to bring it with her some time when she visits so I can try it out. I have orthopedic issues so don’t want to invest if it is going to “hurt”. If I like it, I am going to ask for one for Christmas.

• jen-cueva

October 16, 2019 at 8:58 am

Hi Rebecca,
      It’s a great idea if you can try your daughter’s out first. It is like a ” try before you buy”. Hehe

Please do let us know how you like it. I’m still debating for me.

Funny that you said you’re going to try your daughter’s. I’ve been thinking about getting an air fryer for awhile. My daughter has one and rarely uses it. I need to remind her to bring it to me. I asked her if I could try her’s for a few weeks to see if I even use it. Hehe

• brittany-foster

October 16, 2019 at 9:36 am

Hey Rebecca,
      Does your daughter enjoy using it? I know that for some people with different pain conditions they either like it or they don’t. Personally, I like to feel some type of weight and pressure when I am feeling pain, even slight pressure from something like a weighted stuffed animal or something to press against an area of my stomach that hurts or when I have chest pains. It helps a lot.

• sunny-simson

October 28, 2019 at 2:38 pm

Thanx everyone for such useful information! I wanted to buy a weighted blanket as a gift to my mom and you have completely convinced me that this is a good idea. BTW, I have found this shop https://www.reuters.com/brandfeatures/venture-capital/article?id=85321 maybe someone has heard about them before?

• Colleen

October 28, 2019 at 2:47 pm

Sunny, I agree – this was a great topic! I’m convinced on purchasing one too! Thanks for the link!

• jen-cueva

October 28, 2019 at 3:21 pm

I am so happy that this post helped you, Sunny. Thank you for sharing that link. I hope that your Mom enjoys her weighted blanket. I am so happy that I posted this question, we received some great tips.

• rebecca-talkie

October 29, 2019 at 8:46 pm

I haven’t tried my daughter’s weighted blanket yet. She is a busy girl and hasn’t been up to see us lately. But SHE loves it. It is getting cold now and closer to Christmas so I need to get after her to bring it up to us and help out old Mom.

• brittany-foster

October 30, 2019 at 9:27 am

Rebecca,
      when you are able to steal that blanket away from your daughter, let us know how it works for you. What symptoms are you hoping that it can help with?

• jen-cueva

October 31, 2019 at 7:31 am

Hi Rebecca,
      Yes, please do let us know when you get a chance to steal it. Hehe

Well, for me, I know the 15-pound weighted blanket that my hubby bought me for my birthday, is not for me. He ordered it off of Amazon and said it was one of the top ones. First, it is too heavy to fold. I guess I am just a weakling. Next, he tried to gently lay it over me on the couch. Well, that felt like I was in a straight jacket and could not move freely at all. But, I did want to try it at night in my bed. So, I am all tucked in and trying to turn over. The blanket felt so heavy on my legs and upper body. I was unable to change positions. Maybe this is how it helps, I don’t know. But, I could not imagine myself having to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

I only made it about 15-30 minutes before he took it off. I felt like it was suffocating me. My legs and body were achier and I was sweating. I think if I do try another one, it would need to be even lighter and maybe a cooling type.

Now. I can relate to how some kids are not able to use them. I hope that those of you who do try them will continue to share your experiences. As with everything else, we are all different.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 2, 2021 at 5:03 pm

Of course, I found out about them quite recently and was surprised by their behavior. Until the time of purchase, I used ordinary blankets that I took from the parental home, but they were very old and after washing, some of them were torn. I don’t like freezing at night, so I decided to look for a suitable replacement for my favorite blanket. My friends advised me to try the [URL=https://sommio.co.uk/][COLOR=black]weighted blanket from sommio/COLOR][/URL] because of their excellent weight distribution making it very comfortable to sleep at night. I decided to take their advice and bought myself one. After the first night, I was surprised by the quality and the possibilities that the weighted blanket provides. I immediately ordered several of the same for my parents, I hope to surprise them with this purchase.

• aunt-lizzie

April 6, 2021 at 7:52 pm

Weighted blankets is a totally new concept for me. Not sure I could tolerate one. I always found old woollen blankets too heavy but once I bought a down and feather doona that was really lightweight I thought it was Xmas ! I find heavy weights on me actually make me feel anxious and constricted. Looking at Brittany’s problem with sweating at night, I find that good quality 100% cotton sheets best. If I sleep in polyester or any other man-made fabric, I sweat too, but with cotton sheets I don’t. Well I learnt something today – weighted blankets – who’d a thought it.

• Colleen

April 7, 2021 at 5:58 pm

@auntlizzie I can relate to what you are saying but in the opposite way. I need weight in order to sleep. My electric blanket didn’t take kindly to it’s last washing so I asked my husband to order me a new one. “It’s almost summer,” he exclaimed. I told him I needed the weight of it to help me fall asleep.

He bought me a nice (non-electric) blanket that is a little cooler but still has weight to it. I still haven’t tried an actual weighted blanket yet. I’ll have to remember to ask for one this Christmas.

• jen-cueva

April 8, 2021 at 11:15 am

Hi @colleensteele, thanks for sharing. I, too, use an electric blanket but mostly on the couch. I know about washing them. We washed mine when we got home because I took it with me. I use mine for leg pain mostly. I also use it year-round. Some days the AC is on, and it is so hot, but the heat helps.

My electric blanket is much lighter than the weighted blanket that I tried. If you add it to your list, maybe they can look for a lighter-weight one. Let us know if and when you do try it.

• jen-cueva

April 7, 2021 at 10:34 am

Hi @auntlizzie, how are you? I have missed you on here.

I tried the weighted blanket and a lighter one, too, but I felt like I was in a straight jacket and could not move. That in itself caused me more anxiety. I also have been sweating more at night, thanks to my age, hehe.

My hubby, Manny, and I also prefer certain sheets, and when we found a set that we loved, we bought two of them, lol.

I have a faux down alternative comforter that is very lightweight, and I love going to bed now with that fluffy yet comforting comforter.

• aunt-lizzie

April 8, 2021 at 11:39 pm

Hi Colleen and Jen – Glad you guys have sorted what weights you need. Here’s another thought. My niece bought an extremely expensive woollen doona which she puts on my bed when I stay. How can I tell her how much I dislike it? It’s not cuddly and really heavy. She thinks she’s supporting the Australian wool industry – I think they left a sheep in this one – he he

• jen-cueva

April 11, 2021 at 11:01 am

Hehe, @auntlizzie, that is too funny. I cannot imagine have a heavy wool blanket on me. Even heavier thinking of an entire sheep, LOL

Colleen offers some great tips. I like how she addressed the problem by telling her first how special it is from her. I then, too, would comment about its weight, and you cannot sleep with it. I know the weighted one I had was like a straightjacket- no, I have not been on a straightjacket.

I enjoyed reading your story; @colleensteele sounds like me with cats. I often would not speak up but leave with itching, hives, sneezing, and

• Colleen

April 9, 2021 at 2:14 pm

@auntlizzie you think they left a sheep in it! I got a chuckle out of that.

This made me think of when I visited an old friend from high school who I hadn’t seen in years. She had multiple cinnamon candles burning and commented how much she enjoys them. I am allergic to cinnamon. Can’t eat it and if I smell it I get horrific migraines.

Did I say anything? No, I didn’t. Thank God my husband was with me to drive home because I was sick to the point of losing my vision. To this day, my friend doesn’t know but if I ever visit again and she has them burning, I’m going to speak up.

Maybe start by telling your niece how lovely the blanket is and how disappointed you are that you are having trouble sleeping with it. Tell her the weight and heat of it is too much on your lungs. Maybe offer to provide her with one that she can keep for whenever you visit?