Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy How Are You Promoting Rare Disease Day?

• brittany-foster

February 11, 2020 at 10:49 am

Colleen,
    The great thing about rare disease day is that it actually falls in the month of February which is also heart awareness month. Each day for the month of February there are things to post that the different CHD groups post. It is sort of like a picture challenge talking about something different each day: This includes- diagnosis, medications, surgeries, xrays, procedures, nurses, doctors, family, siblings, caregivers etc. So it encompasses a lot. Maybe doing a picture challenge like this for PH would also be a good way to spread awareness?

• vanessa-vaile

February 18, 2020 at 12:04 pm

So far mostly on Twitter — for me, more reach as I run a handful of 2,000+ streams, modest by “viral” standards but substantial enough to reach more people than I would on Twitter — with a interest/topic range likely to reach individuals who might not be as keenly aware of rare diseases as we are. Juxtaposing cliches, I intend to get off the beaten track and not just preach to the choir.

I’m planning Facebook timeline changes too. Fwiw Instagram shares display better on Facebook than they do on Twitter. Both benefit from adding hashtags and copy.

• vanessa-vaile

February 18, 2020 at 1:00 pm

oops…meant “more than on other social media”

• brittany-foster

February 18, 2020 at 12:33 pm

@vanessavaile Thank you for your awareness that you are spreading this month and throughout the year! I know this is so important to you to help educate others, even if you feel like people aren’t listening. SOMEONE will benefit from what you post and that’s what I have learned. Even if I have helped just one person reach a diagnosis sooner or question their doctors to get the right testing then I have done my job !

• vanessa-vaile

February 18, 2020 at 1:04 pm

I never forget and am ever reminding others that social media messaging can be like tossing a bottle with a message in it into the ocean. otoh the more messages in more bottles ups the odds. Remember the proverb, “save one life and you save the world”

• Colleen

February 18, 2020 at 1:41 pm

@vanessavaile that is how I feel about sharing my son’s story and promoting awareness. If I help just one person than the effort I made was well worth it.