Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy How can each PH generation help the other?

• How can each PH generation help the other?

Posted by Colleen on June 6, 2023 at 7:49 pm

A family usually consists of more than one generation and our PHamily is no different. Just like any family, ours relies on understanding, guidance, and support from every member.

Let’s take a moment to help each other navigate this disease by offering our different perspectives.

If you are an adult PH patient or caregiver to one, share a PH experience, struggle, or obstacle overcome in which you think age was a factor. How can this wisdom help a younger generation or how can our PH youth help you through a challenge you are facing?

If you are a PH young adult, teen, or caregiver to a PH child, same question. What PH experience have you had that might help and support an older generation and what struggle could they maybe help you with?

Please let me know if I can share your response in a future column.

jen-cueva replied 9 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • jen-cueva

June 7, 2023 at 1:39 pm

Hi @colleensteele, what an excellent thought-provoking topic! I am going to think about this a bit more.

Despite moments of self-pity, the younger generation – kids, teens, and young adults – have persistently inspired me. Their perseverance and unwavering attitude toward adversity remind me of their heroic nature. They’re like superheroes with an unbreakable spirit, humbling me with their strength.

It’s amazing to witness young PH kids grow into young adults and begin a new chapter in their lives. My gratitude is indescribable, and I feel full when I see their accomplishments on social media.

• Jimi Mcintosh

July 10, 2023 at 6:17 pm

Those of the 1st generation that were the trailblazers, the ” test dummies, the sacrificial lambs in perfecting the diagnostic testing, experimental medications . For those that have the genetic strain, passing on what you learned, in the event PH raises its head   What we experienced will lead to cure for the “silent ” disease .

• jen-cueva

July 11, 2023 at 12:11 pm

Well said, @jimi! Since I was diagnosed almost 19 years ago, I consider myself a “test dummy.” Hehe. Writing “19” grabs my attention, and I am in awe. It’s still unbelievable what my body has been through during these years.

Yes, together, we are working towards a CURE. All generations matter and will have so much to contribute. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, Jimi.

Do you consider yourself a trailblazer?