• Posted by brittany-foster on December 6, 2019 at 11:01 am

Sometimes with PH and other chronic illnesses that go along with it we may have a hard time regulating body temperature. I am usually overly cold vs being overly warm. It has been hard for me to keep warm and stay warm, especially as the weather starts getting more “Winter like” and the temperature starts dropping.

When I go outside to walk my dog in the cold, I always make sure that I have a hat, scarf, gloves (I prefer mittens because they keep my hands warmer), and a nice big coat with a hood. When I am going to be outside for any length of time then I also have some hand warmers and foot warmers with me. As soon as I get that cold feeling it’s like I just can’t shake the shivers no matter how warm my body gets.

What helps you stay warm and KEEP warm either in cold climates or just in general? Do you find yourself being cold a lot?

Colleen replied 3 years, 3 months ago 12 Members · 35 Replies
  • 35 Replies
  • Carol alexander

December 6, 2019 at 4:51 pm

Hi Brittany
    Yes iam always cold at night I have a electric blanket

I will be cold until spring

Carol A

• Colleen

December 6, 2019 at 8:11 pm

Same here, Carol. I don’t know what I would do without my electric blanket!

• brittany-foster

December 9, 2019 at 10:22 am

Carol and Colleen,
    I WISH I could use an electric blanket. With my pacemaker, I have to stay away from anything electrical like that, including electrical seats that massage your back. LOL I used to have one of those and then was told by my electrophysiologist to stay away from those! But they certainly would come in handy if I had an electrical blanket for my car to keep me warm when I get in and it’s too cold in the winter. I know some people who just plug them into the outlet in the car and stay nice and toasty!

• donna-lambro

December 10, 2019 at 10:11 am

Wait until you are old enough for hot flashes. I can’t even wear sweaters anymore.

• brittany-foster

December 10, 2019 at 10:35 am

Hey Donna!
    Funny that you say this ! I actually get hot flashes from being in menopause. Yes, I am in menopause and went into menopause at 27 years old. I have a condition that I was born with that caused my reproductive system to be scarred and as I got older I had my tubes and ovaries removed. All was removed last year at 27. I am in menopause but use an estrogen patch at the lowest dose to help keep some of the symptoms at bay. Even though the hot flashes and night sweats just get overbearing sometimes ! I am sure you can relate ! What do you do to cool off!?

• rebecca-talkie

December 10, 2019 at 11:40 pm

Interesting. I have been a “freeze cat” for a very long time. I wander the house dressed in regular clothes and a fleece jacket. My kids home are kept cooler and I am always cold when visiting. I used to use an electric blanket but the mattress I have in my new home is some sort of microfoam which says not to use them. I am about ready to ignore the instructions this year. I have so many blankets piled on me that it is tiring. I have been through menopause twice ( long story ) and I barely noticed hot flashes the first time because it was during the winter. The second time I never felt hot, just sweated a lot. My family makes fun of me but are used to me in hoodies when they are taking layers off. I never considered it was connected with my circulation or the Pulmonary HTN.

• brittany-foster

December 11, 2019 at 1:48 pm

Hi Rebecca,
    I know a lot of people who are young too that struggle with problems with circulation due to congenital heart defects and they are always cold too. Cold hands, cold feet, and the type of people who need a sweater as soon as it gets the tiniest bit chilly in the summer months. I am definitely like that and get cold super easily. It is always harder for me to get warm when I’m freezing vs cooling off when I’m hot!

• gayle-meagher

December 15, 2019 at 9:33 pm

I keep a fleece jacket in my car year-round. I have never been so painfully cold. I thought it was from coumadin; but does PH cause it? It is especially when the humidity is low. Restaurants are especially cold in the summer. Thankfully I can let my dogs out the back door into the back yard.

• brittany-foster

December 16, 2019 at 12:12 pm

Gayle,
    Funny that you mention that. I also notice that about restaurants and public places when they blast the A/C in the summer. I notice that my lips will end up turning blue or white around them when it is cold and with a tan that look is a lot more noticeable especially because the rest of my face has good color!

• aubrey

December 19, 2019 at 1:54 pm

I stay cold most of the time. During the Summer I rarely run my ac and drive with Windows down about 95% of the time. During the Winter I burn fires in my fireplace which distributes heat through the vents throughout the entire house. I use to use an electric blanket but since I wear a subcutaneous pump I found that one of the heat elements rested right where my site was so I stopped using one. Cover wise a comforter or quilt nothing too heavy but not too thin.

• brittany-foster

December 19, 2019 at 2:48 pm

Aubrey,
    I excessively sweat way too much when I have too heavy of a blanket. It is weird because usually through the day I am extremely cold and can’t seem to warm up, but at night is when my body temperature rises a lot and I end up sweating and having to put the room down to a really low temperature in order to not sweat too much.

• jen-cueva

November 5, 2020 at 11:33 am

As the temps start decreasing around the country, how are you staying warm?

I use a heated blanket for pain, so I tend to use that all year. I do not sleep with it every night, though. It would make me too hot. I have to find my “just right” temp.

I also like fuzzy socks and warm cozy PJs and blankets. Layers are something that I tend to do, especially if we leave the house. Most places we would go to, like restaurants, I always need a hoodie. So, we now carry 1-2 hoodies in the Jeep.

Do you find it difficult to stay warm?

• Colleen

November 5, 2020 at 3:48 pm

@jenc I’m always cold, of course winter is worse. Fall is when I battle over the thermostat with Brian and the boys. They think it’s too soon to put on and I say it’s freezing. I also use an electric blanket year round. It really doesn’t help with pain. I do use mine at night during the fall and winter and balance the heat by having one leg under the covers and one leg out.

• janet-blumenshine

November 5, 2020 at 5:56 pm

I wear undershirts year around. Down comforters are light weight and help with warmth. Wool socks and wool shoe liners in the winter. Gloves in all my pockets. Small elec. space heaters in rooms where I am. To warm up my hands quickly I soak them in warm/hot water.

• donna-lambro

November 5, 2020 at 6:01 pm

I’m never really cold. My feet do feel cold but I’m not. I’ll grab my older sisters hand and she can’t believe how warm I am. I sleep in a t-shirt and shorts. While my husband has flannel pj’s and socks on. We used to have fleece sheets but with oxygen can’t have any static. When I sit around in the evening I usually have a ice pack on my back for pain. And I can still be warm. I’m not overweight, im thin. Just me.

• liz-reyes

November 5, 2020 at 6:08 pm

Always too hot or too cold . We heat with wood its drafty in winter . In the high western Mojave desert …we get 50 degree spread some days- layers layers layers

• jen-cueva

November 6, 2020 at 10:29 am

Hi @colleensteele, I can imagine the battle of the thermostat that you go through with the guys. I have that battle with Manny. He is always hot. I, like you, have to compensate. So I usually and covered up top and my feet hanging out unless it is really cold. That is when I wear my fuzzy socks to bed.

So, you do not get any pain relief by using the heated blanket? I love heat, so hot baths and heated blankets are needed.

• jen-cueva

November 6, 2020 at 10:33 am

Hi @jblum, it sounds like you are well prepared. What area do you live in? I am guessing somewhere that stays colder than here in Texas. The wool socks were a giveaway, hehe.

You mention your down comforter. I have been looking to find a nice lightweight one but affordable, too. I know some can be really hot and heavy, or that is what I read. Thanks for sharing.

• jen-cueva

November 6, 2020 at 10:37 am

Hi @donnalamblue, my feet are usually what gets cold first. It is funny that you mention your sister saying your hands are so warm. I find that right after I take my PH medications, my hubby says I am “on fire.”

Yes, thin people can be hot, too. I agree with you. As you said, “it is just me”- love it! Stay cool, my friend.

• jen-cueva

November 6, 2020 at 10:41 am

Hi @la66reyes, layers are my go-to, too. It is easier for me to take off layers if I am hot. I hate being too cold because getting warm takes awhile. Did you layer before PH, too?

I lived in the High Desert in high school. I lived in Silver Lakes.

Stay warm and cool.

• Colleen

November 6, 2020 at 10:57 am

@jblum I use to have a down comforter and you are right, they are a nice lightweight way to stay warm. I should invest in a new one!

• Colleen

November 6, 2020 at 11:00 am

@donnalamblue you brought up an interesting tip. I never thought about flannel sheets or other things that might cause static electricity and the concern when using oxygen. Does anyone else keep this in mind and avoid certain things because of it?

• Colleen

November 6, 2020 at 11:03 am

@la66reyes agh, I can relate. It use to be that I was always cold but the older I get the harder it is too find a happy balance. I tend to get heated too quickly and can’t find a happy medium.

• liz-reyes

November 6, 2020 at 11:51 am

Jen Cueva …yeah…lived on sailboats , riding motorcycles has me well trained for . Im in Rosamond

• liz-reyes

November 6, 2020 at 11:54 am

I forgot to mention Cats . My 5 cats are my best temp. control system. haha

Page 1 of 2