Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health How Does Changing Seasons Affect Your Mood?

• How Does Changing Seasons Affect Your Mood?

Posted by jen-cueva on October 13, 2019 at 4:29 pm

I know that we discussed how the cooler weather can improve and affect our physical symptoms. But, living with PH, the seasons can also affect our overall mood. I know for me, I love the sunny days, but the heat and humidity at the end of summer can be rough on me.

I love the Fall season and the cooler temperatures, but I miss the sunshine. I am fortunate to live in Texas where we do not usually have harsh winters. But, I know for some, the end of the summer brings about anxiety and depression. This is often more prone in areas where it is colder and days are darker and gloomy.

Is your overall mood affected by the changing of seasons? If so, please share.

I read an article discussing how the changing seasons can affect mood. Some may find helpful.

jen-cueva replied 4 years, 6 months ago 6 Members · 40 Replies
  • 40 Replies
  • Carol alexander

October 14, 2019 at 5:38 am

The change in seasons really effect me especially fall it becomes cold and drab
    I try to keep myself up but it’s difficult winter is so cold and long. The cold really bothers my ph it effects my breathing so iam house bound a lot. I dont have a lot of support this site really means a lot to me.
    Everyone get your flue shot and stay well
    Carol

• Brittany Foster

October 14, 2019 at 8:03 am

Carol,
      I’m so glad that the forums are a good place of support for you. I feel the same way about them. I have met so many people here including patients and caregivers that have given me so much courage and strength and really inspire me to keep writing and sharing about my own experiences.

I know what you mean about the cold temps. It is still tolerable right now where I live in New England and it actually is the perfect weather for me in the 60s. But the change of seasons or anything too dramatic really makes me have bad headaches and side effects are more intense. What do you do while you have to stay inside? Hope you have some things to keep you busy!

• jen-cueva

October 14, 2019 at 10:22 am

Hi Carol,
      I can certainly understand how the colder seasons can be tough on you. I know that when my in-laws lived in Ohio, going there was tough for me to get out in the air. It was hard to breathe as the cold air burned my lungs.

Mentally. I could see where some have an issue with isolation as those harsh winters keep you indoors. Do you call friends or family members? Do you read or sew? I know that my late mother-in-law did scrapbooking in the winter months. But, she did deal with depression and isolation when winters were harsh.

Do you have Meals On Wheels or anything like that in your area? I know when I worked in Home Health, many people who could not get out, would enjoy company from local church or community organizations and /or Meals On Wheels.

I am happy that you get some support here. I love the forums and so happy to be amongst such great people as we care and support each one another.

• Brittany Foster

October 14, 2019 at 10:27 am

Those are really good suggestions, Jen. To have people from the community come to YOU during those months. I know that when I can’t get out much it still helps to have people come to me and just relax, get some takeout (when I can eat LOL), watch a movie, do a project together, etc. Just social interaction in general really does help the mind a lot. Staying by myself in my own mind doesn’t help my mental health and really can make my thoughts flip flop through all the emotions that I don’ want to feel.

• jen-cueva

October 14, 2019 at 10:50 am

Thanks, Brittany. I know the forums and social media are great. But, having some real life social interaction is important. There are so many local groups who can offer just a check in or short visits.

@carol-alexander, if you want help in your area, please let me know and I will see what I can find to help you.

I know on days when I feel like crap and the weather is gloomy, Netflix and Door Dash are my friends, Hehe

• Brittany Foster

October 14, 2019 at 8:09 am

Jen,
    I definitely notice a shift in my mood when it gets cooler and rainy. Last week we had a stretch of about 7 days where it was just raining and miserable every single day. This effects my migraines too. When I’m physically not feeling well it has become harder to put a smile on my face and force some type of happiness. It is just too exhausting to fake it anymore. I’m sure you know what I mean.

• jen-cueva

October 14, 2019 at 10:26 am

Brittany,
      I hate that the dreary weather is already there in RI. A week of rain and gloomy weather certainly can impact our moods. Between that and the physical effects, as you mention, migraines, can be difficult to live with. It is much harder to smile when you feel like crap and the weather just sucks. I totally get that!

I hope that some sunshine will pop in for y’all this week. Today is wet and gloomy here, so PJs, it is for me. So much for Motivation Monday, Hehe
      Well, great things can be accomplished in comfy PJs, right?

• Brittany Foster

October 14, 2019 at 10:29 am

Jen,
        I’ve definitely accomplished my fair share of things in my pjs and sweatpants LOL! When I have to go out in public or go to appointments or something or if I’m seriously lacking some type of motivation, I like to at least put on a cute outfit and throw some mascara on, but if I have my morning coffee to give me that boost of energy that I need then usually I am good to stay in some sweatpants and just lounge ! Especially towards the end of the week when my motivation starts to linger or when it feels hard to find! I definitely have those days where I feel like I do have to push myself more than others.

• jen-cueva

October 14, 2019 at 10:54 am

I know that is right, Brittany. I, tend to have a weird schedule as my hubby has his weekend starting on either on Wednesday or Thursday afternoons. He starts his week on Sunday. I try and rest on Wednesdays more so I am ready for “his weekend”. Some weeks, that does not work.

Today, I have had my coffee, still in PJs but did do powder and mascara, Hehe- I may venture into sweats later. You never know, LOL

• Brittany Foster

October 14, 2019 at 11:29 am

Jen,
        Let’s not forget that we have to put up with THEM too hahaha!!! There are days when I give MYSELF a medal for managing an illness on top of being as good of a partner as I can be 🙂 haha!

• jen-cueva

October 14, 2019 at 3:08 pm

Oh Brittany, well we are in a totally differently category, we are more like Emmy Award winners, LOL

• Brittany Foster

October 15, 2019 at 3:17 am

Academy Award winners is more like it! I’ve had my speech planned for years. “First of all, I’d like to thank the academy…” that’s all I’ve got LOL

• jen-cueva

October 15, 2019 at 5:40 pm

OMG Brittany, of course, how could I forget? I believe we have all started our speech, that same way. Hehe
        I needed that laugh this evening, I love you!

• Aubrey

October 22, 2019 at 10:43 am

When ever the seasons change, my body feels it even if I’m not outside. I do great I’m the spring and summer.Heat is my friend but when fall and winter come around my breathing gets harder and I feel more weak and have less energy.Whenever the wind blows no matter the season my breathing is hard as well. I dread when winter comes because I feel like I’m struggling to breathe a lot more.I use my oxygen some in the winter but that’s it. I always look forward to Spring because that’s when I know I will have good days.

• Brittany Foster

October 22, 2019 at 1:52 pm

Aubrey,
      As someone who also experiences all 4 seasons, I can safely say that unless it’s super hot and humid, the Summer is the best season for me. I also get really bothered by the wind and have invested in a lot of scarves to help cover my face! Have you ever used scarves that wrap around and cover your mouth and nose when walking while it’s really windy and cold?

• jen-cueva

October 23, 2019 at 8:59 am

Aubrey, I certainly can relate to feeling the seasons even when indoors. For me, it seems like Fall and Spring is best for me. I love summer but here in Texas the heat and humidity can be too much for my breathing and cause additional swelling.

As Brittany suggests, if I am outdoors in the wind or cold air, I also use scarfs. I find that it helps my lungs from that burning that I feel without us using anything.

Our winters are not as harsh here as some places. But, in the winter months, I often feel gloomy as we do not see the sun as much and it also causes my body to ache even more. I have to force myself outside more to get the fresh air unless it too windy or cold for me.

• Sunny Simson

October 23, 2019 at 8:56 am

Hi, everyone!
    Your discussion had interested me a lot and I started searching related topics in Google. I have found that there is a special diagnose called Seasonal affective disorder (SAD). It is a type of depression that comes and goes in a seasonal pattern. SAD is sometimes known as “autumn depression” because the symptoms are usually more apparent and more severe during the autumn.

• jen-cueva

October 23, 2019 at 9:02 am

Hi Sunny and welcome,
      Yes, there are some people who have been diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder or SAD. I know a friend in the Boston area who uses light therapy for this in the winter months.

Do you suffer from depression in the winter months? How is the weather where you are at? With your name, Sunny, I am thinking of sunshine all year. Hehe

• Brittany Foster

October 23, 2019 at 10:53 am

Jen,
        you make a really good point that sometimes it’s not just the change of the seasons that effect us, but the amount of sunlight that we get in a day and just being outside. When it’s really cold I usually do not get out of the house much but being a home body can often lead to worsening depression for me. I make sure to get outside as much as possible.

• jen-cueva

October 23, 2019 at 2:28 pm

Yes, Brittany, so true. Even here without the harsh winters like some of you have, I struggle with this too. It just starts to make me gloomy if the weather is too gloomy for too many days in a row, Hehe

I enjoy the sun and try and get outside, even if it is on my back patio almost daily. It certainly can help my mood. Well, some days, it does not work, but that is a rare case.

• Brittany Foster

October 23, 2019 at 10:55 am

Sunny,
      Thank you for your reply and for looking this information up on google. I’m sure mine personally is related to the weather but also to the daylight savings time change. It gets a lot darker earlier than usual which makes me super tired!

• jen-cueva

October 23, 2019 at 2:31 pm

Another great point, Brittany. Lately, instead of 9:30 PM meds, around 8 or 8:30, I ask my hubby, if it is pill time yet. LOL

I dread the months when it continues to offer less daylight. You are not alone. Next month, I will be ready for bed about 6 PM, Hehe

• Brittany Foster

October 23, 2019 at 4:10 pm

Jen,
        LOL we will be like a couple of old ladies going to bed at 7 PM hahaha!! I’ll be asking my boyfriend for my “house coat” soon aka a big giant robe hahaha.

• jen-cueva

October 25, 2019 at 6:31 pm

LOL, so true, Brittany.

It is cooler here and already getting dark, so yes, I will take the big fuzzy housecoat and my fuzzy slipper socks, soon. HeHe

• Brittany Foster

October 14, 2019 at 8:06 am

Kevin,
    I am so glad that you get the support that you need through your PH and with all the good and bad that this disease brings. What does your spouse do that is most supportive for you? I know there is probably so much, but what would you recognize as the top qualities that are most helpful?

• jen-cueva

October 14, 2019 at 10:14 am

Hi Kevin,
    I can understand how the shorter days and seasons can give off that effect. I am so happy to hear of your “precious spouse” who offers you love and support. It certainly makes our PH journey easier to deal with a supportive partner.

I am blessed to say that my husband is a huge support and loves me unconditionally, even on my roughest days. He also calms me with his touch when I am having a bad day.

• Colleen

October 15, 2019 at 3:04 pm

@ksmith610 from what I’ve heard and from the pictures I have seen, Vermont is stunning in the Fall. I can imagine how it would inspire feelings of melancholy. Autumn is my favorite time of year and the changing of the leaves makes me feel very poetic.

• Brittany Foster

October 14, 2019 at 10:21 am

You’re so blessed to have someone like that in your life too, Jen! Have you been with your husband for awhile? My boyfriend was pretty much with me at the start of my health going downhill slowly and then it felt like it kind of went downhill all at once. It was a scary time for both of us but we’ve definitely been through a lot together. Lots of ups and downs as I’m sure every relationship has at times. But at the end of the day, I know he’s a good guy.

• jen-cueva

October 14, 2019 at 10:46 am

So true, Brittany, It takes a toll when our health goes up and down. Funny, I am writing about this for my upcoming column, so stay stunned for more information, Hehe

I am certainly blessed, I have heard such horrible stories of what PH can do to relationships. Jay sounds like a great guy, too. Some days, I feel like my hubby derives an award for putting up with me, Hehe

• Brittany Foster

October 15, 2019 at 5:11 pm

I never heard that one before but I love so many Sinatra songs. My boyfriend and I dance to his songs all the time. His grandpa and dad loved all those songs so I have to listen to that one now.

• Colleen

October 15, 2019 at 6:53 pm

@ksmith610 I have enjoyed Frank Sinatra’s music since I was a little girl and yet this was the first time I listened to “Moonlight in Vermont”. The combination of the lyrics and his voice are so perfect together. Talk about feeling melancholy! Thank you for introducing me to this song.

• jen-cueva

October 16, 2019 at 8:53 am

Kevin, what a beautiful song by Frank Sinatra. I don’t think I’ve heard that one. It beautifully portrays Vermont. Thanks for sharing. My hubby and I have listened to Sinatra many times.

One year while visiting Boston, we are a small local Italian spot. They happened to have a guy singing Sinatra music as we dined. It was so romantic. The food,the wine, and the guy singing had ”blue eyes”, too. He was really good and we enjoyed it. Every time we hear Sinatra since we think of that night.

• Brittany Foster

October 16, 2019 at 9:49 am

Jen,
    Boston is the best for Italian food and live music like that. I love so many spots in Boston. It isn’t far from me and I usually (back when I didn’t have much trouble eating) would find a cute spot to have lunch with my mom after my appointments when they were there. If you’re ever in Boston again you will have to let me know and we can have some Italian food

• jen-cueva

October 16, 2019 at 12:03 pm

Brittany, Yes, Boston has some amazing food. Italian is great, for sure. I love most foods. Hehe

I traveled to Boston frequently when I saw Dr. C. I hate that I did know you back then. We could have definitely met and enjoyed some yummy food.

Speaking of eating, are you still able to enjoy brunch and ice cream most days? Or, is every day different?

• Brittany Foster

October 16, 2019 at 12:52 pm

I still am able to do some stuff for breakfast but usually it involves throwing up at least twice during my day. Some days are definitely worse than others for sure, but when I can eat I try to eat good foods for my body and things that are smaller in size but will help to keep me feeling full at least a little. I hate feeling hungry, it has to be one of the worst feelings in the world. (Right up there with not being able to breathe properly)

• jen-cueva

October 17, 2019 at 12:02 pm

Brittany, I cannot even begin to imagine the feeling of being hungry added to that of struggling to breathe. How are you today? I hope that you are resting and using some oxygen more. Love you bunches.

• Brittany Foster

October 18, 2019 at 8:26 am

It was definitely a hard few days for me. I just feel like the stress that my body has been under is really catching up to me. With the vomiting and really not being able to eat much, it’s just taking a toll on how I am physically feeling. I had to go to the ER yesterday afternoon to get fluids and get medication to help manage some of my symptoms for pain with my chest from coughing so much. The reflux doesn’t help the coughing and the coughing certainty doesn’t help the lungs and I was coughing up white foam. It was scary. Had to get 3 breathing treatments and just resting today and on the computer but trying to take it easy.

• jen-cueva

October 19, 2019 at 1:28 pm

Brittany, I am so sorry that I have not been on here in the last few days. I hate that I missed that you had such a tough day and the ER again. I am thankful that you did not have to stay, but still, an ER visit sucks, too.

I hope that today you are resting as I am sure that with everything you have going on lately, it is difficult to even get the rest that your body needs. You were already in need of rest and recovery. Thinking of you and please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help you get through such hard times.

• Brittany Foster

October 22, 2019 at 6:26 am

Thank you so much, Jen. I am so lucky to have friends like you in my life and through these forums. It has been so great to meet and get to know such amazing people like you. I feel like we sometimes have to be each others best support system because we know the feeling and know what it’s like to struggle in these ways. Hope your weekend was good and that you’re doing okay too. I know some days are a lot easier than others. Here for you too!

• jen-cueva

October 22, 2019 at 10:15 am

Thanks, Brittany. I did have a pretty good weekend. I even got a nap in, which has not happened in some time. My hubby was so proud that I finally shut down and rested some. It was all in his plan. I had wanted to watch a movie on Netflix, well he turned on a different movie, “by mistake”. Well, it was something he knew I would not be interested in, so I fell asleep. Hehe-
    It was much needed and afterward I felt recharged, somewhat. Of course, this is when I figured out his trick, LOL.

So, one day we ran around and did errands and ate. The other day was more lounging. Nothing big, but it was fine since this upcoming weekend we are busy.

I hope that you had a great weekend. I saw “BB”, so excited for y’all. Adorable!