Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH How Is Humor Helping You Through The Coronavirus Concerns?

• How Is Humor Helping You Through The Coronavirus Concerns?

Posted by Colleen on March 17, 2020 at 8:00 am

In my column this week, “Tips for Dealing with Coronavirus: Be Practical and Don’t Panic” I mentioned how valuable laughter can be. It can’t cure a disease or virus but it can help calm and distract us from feelings of panic. I don’t appreciate sarcasm that down plays the concerns that we all have, but I’ve enjoyed a funny meme or two. How about you? What are your favorite funny conversations, cartoons, meme’s and posts that you have shared or read? Laughing doesn’t mean that we aren’t taking the health risk seriously, it’s just a way to release some of the tension….so go ahead and laugh.

https://pulmonaryhypertensionnews.com/2020/03/16/coronavirus-covid-19-tips-avoid-immunocompromised-wash-hands/

jen-cueva replied 4 years ago 4 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • brittany-foster

March 17, 2020 at 6:02 pm

@colleensteele if you follow my social media you know that I LOVE MEMES!! I also create my own. I did one this week that was a GIF clip from the movie Bridesmaids and it was the quote from the plane scene when Megan said on the plane to the person that was an air marshal “I’ll take the first watch” and looked over her shoulder. I used that picture with the caption “going outside in the middle of a quarantine be like…” and the picture was posted of “I’ll take the first watch” under that ! LOL it made me laugh just to make it and I know others could find it relatable. I like what you said that we can still find humor in things but also know just how serious all of this is!

• rebecca-talkie

March 18, 2020 at 1:26 am

I love the memes about the virus and the quarantine. Although it is a serious subject, you have to laugh or you’ll cry. My husband and I will be missing two Grandbabies birthdays despite the fact that they live close. Grandson turned 3 and youngest Granddaughter turned 2. We did get to share cupcakes on her “real” birthday but the family event will be with just her parents and the one Grandparent living with them. ( Boy are they lucky, she is a former Pre school teacher who is now their nanny.) I hate not being able to shop for groceries. Yes, I have enough toilet paper. Everyone be safe and stay sane.

• brittany-foster

March 18, 2020 at 12:35 pm

@becca I was told by both hospital doctors and my own PCP that I should be avoiding stores all together and contact with the public right now, not even physical contact, but within certain distance from people too. It is best to avoid these things now , especially for those that are high risk like us. I have to remind myself that this is all for my own protection, but not being able to do it makes me feel limited and that’s a hard feeling because I try to fight my limits every day and not let them get the best of me. But with this, I just have no choice but to comply.

• Colleen

March 18, 2020 at 2:06 pm

@brittany-foster I do follow you on social media and you have been cracking me up with some of the things you have posted. We all need a little humor right now. I think about comedians and actors who would go to the troops and entertain them during times of war. Laughter helps keep all of us mentally well.

• jen-cueva

March 18, 2020 at 4:06 pm

Excellent column, @colleensteele. You make such valid points. WE need to take this seriously but also have humor and laugh when we can. I enjoy looking at some of the memes on social media. @brittany-foster usually has me covered, Hehe

Laughter is needed in our everyday lives dealing with PH. Now, even more critical. I also have watched a few funny movies. Last night The Wedding Singer was on. I caught it late, but a great dose of laughter.

• jen-cueva

March 18, 2020 at 4:10 pm

@becca, so sorry to hear of you missing your grandbabies’ birthday parties. It is certainly a bummer. Just remind them and yourself that you are taking precautions now so you can enjoy future gatherings.

I love your sense of humor. I miss the grocery store, too but I also am good on toilet paper, Hehe
    Fortunately, last month we stocked up on toilet paper and paper towels along with chicken breasts at Costco. Guess what’s for dinner again?

• brittany-foster

March 19, 2020 at 3:24 pm

@jenc I love that movie!! so funny! I also love all Adam Sandler movies. They always make me laugh so hard!

• brittany-foster

March 19, 2020 at 3:27 pm

@jenc sometimes you have to get creative with all the chicken recipes LOL if you are into looking at some good cooking videos, the company “Delish” has some good top chicken recipes on youtube if you search “delish chicken recipes” it should come up at like the top 10 recipes or something like that. I like them because they are easy to follow and it doesn’t require me being a chef to make their stuff!

• jen-cueva

March 19, 2020 at 4:39 pm

Hey @brittany-foster, I also love Adam Sandler movies. Big Daddy is another one, so many to make you laugh.

Thanks for the chicken tips. Yes, it can be versatile. I made chicken enchiladas one night. I made roasted chicken and vegetable sheet pan meal another. Tonight we are having leftovers, or have some shrimp in the freezer from the seafood market last month. I will look for the Delish chicken recipes. Hubby did get one thing of lean ground beef today, so that will change things a little. We don’t eat a ton of red meat anyway.

Thanks <3

• brittany-foster

March 20, 2020 at 12:50 pm

@jenc I was never really a red meat type person either. But sometimes I would get cravings for burgers. usually I craved red meat around my period when I used to get it. I think it was the lack of iron from blood loss that made me start having weird cravings for things that I usually wouldn’t normally eat.

• jen-cueva

March 21, 2020 at 12:48 pm

Hey @brittany-foster, I, too, often crave red meat when I am on my period or near that time. I am also anemic, so maybe that it. I will either crave a good burger or small steak. I usually don’t eat much of it, even then. Once I was craving steak at 8:30 at night, so my hubby took me to Texas Roadhouse. I ordered a kid’s steak, and I was good for a while. -Hehe

• brittany-foster

March 23, 2020 at 10:33 am

@jenc I really don’t crave it that much. I think that mine has to do with when I am feeling symptoms from being anemic to. I wonder if there is a connection between the body needing iron and the red meat craving? I heard this was true and my nana always advised me to eat more red meat during my period or when I was feeling really dizzy. Hmmmm interesting to see if there is a connection based in science and not just he “nana instinct” LOL!

• jen-cueva

March 23, 2020 at 2:04 pm

@brittany-foster, I think Nana was on the right track here. I always feel like the loss of blood could be a culprit of craving red meats. I am anemic, so this makes sense. I wonder if anyone who doesn’t have anemia has these cravings, too. Let’s go with this, “Nana instinct,” until we can find a science-based article.