Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition If You Could Eat Anything You Want Today, What Would It Be?

• If You Could Eat Anything You Want Today, What Would It Be?

Posted by jen-cueva on May 11, 2022 at 11:01 am

Our PH healthcare team often suggests a heart-healthy diet that can be challenging and steal some joy from eating.

Today is National Eat What You Want Day. If you could eat anything you want today without health consequences, what would that be?

This can be a fun and enjoyable topic. But also serves as a reminder to pay more attention to any specific dietary recommendations with PH.

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 1 month ago 8 Members · 30 Replies
  • 30 Replies
  • Colleen

May 11, 2022 at 4:15 pm

@jenc I’ve been craving lobster lately. The boys and I didn’t go out for Mother’s Day because Cullen had assignments due and Aidan was busy searching for a place to live. He’s moving to Louisiana in June to be closer to his girlfriend. The same company he works for in WA hired him there so he is all set in that regard.

Anyway, Aidan wants to take me and Cullen to Red Lobster this weekend to celebrate a belated Mother’s Day. I’m looking forward to it.

I know what Cullen would love to eat without having to ask him…a Reuban. He LOVES those but it’s hard to find a place that makes a good one. It’s funny that is his favorite because it’s always been my moms too.

So what about you Jen, what would you eat today if you could?

• jen-cueva

May 12, 2022 at 3:22 pm

Yummy, a lobster does sound good, @colleensteele. I hope you and your boys make it to Red Lobster this weekend. Do they still do the endless lobster there? I love those cheddar bay biscuits, too. I haven’t been in years.

Aidan is moving to cajun country, huh? How are you coping with him leaving in June? That must be tough as I know how close you are with your boys. It’s hard when they are so far away, but they also need to spread their wings; I know, bittersweet. Please know I’m here anytime you want to talk.

I like a good Reuben too, which was Manny’s fave, and I started tasting his. I usually would get a french dip with extra cheese and au-jus. MMM. But seafood anything sounds much better to me. We did have In-N-Out burgers last night, but I didn’t eat much.

• Jill Upshaw

May 12, 2022 at 2:32 pm

Lobster sounds pretty good. The Palm has really good ones. Been craving fruit and salads so that fits right in. I like it when the fresh strawberries come in. Yesterday, I had really good seafood fajitas with queso and chips and a margarita. Came home and had a bout with pulmonary edema…..

• jen-cueva

May 12, 2022 at 3:24 pm

Your meal yesterday sounds so good, @upshtcx, minus the pulmonary edema. I have also been eating many fresh berries and blood oranges lately. Also, I ate some watermelon a few days ago, but it wasn’t quite ripe enough for my taste.

Seafood fajitas, chips, queso, and a margarita, are yummy! It sounds like you enjoyed a delicious meal.

• Colleen

May 16, 2022 at 4:25 pm

@upshtcx agh, I’m sorry about the pulmonary edema but that meal sure sounds delicious! Dare I suggest that the occasional treat in moderation might be worth the after effects as long as they aren’t too severe? What are your thoughts about that?

• jen-cueva

May 17, 2022 at 10:35 am

Hey @colleensteele, speaking for myself, not @upshtcx, I enjoy the occasional treat and pay for it later. Usually, I’m improved within a few days. But I also have needed to use an extra diuretic I have as required at times. Although I wouldn’t suggest this frequently, occasionally is the keyword for me.

But our bodies react differently to sodium; I know some PHriends who won’t touch a single tortilla chip because they swell that fast! I’m thankful that it takes more than 1 or 2 for me since I could eat my weight in chips and salsa before PH.

Is Cullen one who followed his dietary guidelines in full, or would treat himself occasionally? I would guess he’s a ” follow the rules ” by line kind of guy.

• Jenney

May 13, 2022 at 5:32 pm

If I could eat ANYTHING, it would be a big juicy burger with the works and crunchy fries and onion rings! But…. That’s IF I could. I’ve been experimenting with all kinds of fish since I was never much of a fish eater before and I’m enjoying that. Altho I was diagnosed in 2018, I never had a knowledge doctor until last month so I’m still navigating unknown waters

• jen-cueva

May 16, 2022 at 12:08 pm

Hi @jenneyeiklor, how have you been? I haven’t seen your post in some time. Are you managing OK?

I could skip the burger, but the crispy fries and onion rings are more my jam.

I love chicken and seafood. What types of fish have you found you prefer best? I try to make fish once a week. I usually buy salmon and cod, maybe other fish depending on what’s on sale and what I plan to do. I also enjoy shrimp and typically have some in my freezer, too. It thaws quickly and can be utilized in many dishes.

• Debbie Moore

May 14, 2022 at 3:10 pm

I would love a big bowl of boiled peanuts!  Can you tell I’m from the south?  But the sodium is out of this world.

• jen-cueva

May 16, 2022 at 12:11 pm

LOL, @debbie, a southern gal by birth here, I immediately caught that! I’ve not been a fan of most boiled peanuts, but I have not had them in years. I had some in Mississippi years ago that I did enjoy but never found any like those again. They had a little kick in them, too. Oh yeah, I can only imagine the sodium in those. But taking that out would make them bland.

• Debbie Moore

May 16, 2022 at 1:24 pm

They would be horrible with even just using a little salt.  They also taste different depending on the peanut you boil.  I love the Spanish peanuts, not so wet and lots of nuts in the shell.  Sometimes I’ll eat chickpeas and tell myself they are as close as I can get to boiled peanuts.  I’ll have to look up their sodium.  Now I’m hungry.

• jen-cueva

May 17, 2022 at 10:12 am

LOL, @debbie, I hear you about taking away the salt. Maybe it is the type of peanut it was that made a difference. But, I also know the many different spices that add to the sodium. The hot ones, aka cajun style, must contain more. Of course, that’s why I would like it the best.

Here is a bit of nutritional info for the boiled peanuts. Of course, these are canned, which I don’t like, and like most canned foods, maybe higher in sodium. One serving is 420 mg of sodium.

Here is a recipe for some with much lower sodium, although they sound bland to me. I wonder if those salt-free seasonings would work to make these more flavorful?

Of course, another recipe but with cajun seasonings increases the sodium back over 400 mg per serving.

Do you boil the chickpeas like peanuts? I wonder if that helps. But the texture and no shell would be the difference for me. I’ve made air-fried chickpeas for snacks, and those were OK but not this taste profile.

Now, I want some cajun boiled peanuts; it never fails! Hehe

• Debbie Moore

May 21, 2022 at 3:33 pm

@jennc I just rinse the chickpeas out of the can and munch on them.  No cooking necessary.

• jen-cueva

May 23, 2022 at 11:05 am

OK, and those raw chickpeas taste similar to boiled peanuts for you? It’s interesting, as I’ve only eaten them raw in salads and mixed with other ingredients. It sounds like a fix when you’re craving those hot boiled peanuts.

I’ve seen many chickpea recipes on Pinterest; I see those baked or air fried and seasoning for snacks.

If you like spicy and can get the cajun boiled peanuts, I bet you’ll want those, too. Yummy.

• Jenney

May 16, 2022 at 1:54 pm

Hi Jen Cueva, no I haven’t posted in a long time because I was drifting at sea on trying to navigate PAH on my own. I live in a very small rural area and I had no real access to a pulmonologist that was knowledgeable with PAH. Last November I was visiting my daughter and son-in-law 300 miles from home as they prepared for the birth of my first grandchild. I was taken suddenly ill and sent to a hospital in Connecticut that also had no knowledge of PAH. After almost 2 weeks in the hospital with my O2 stats in the ’80s, they finally managed to stabilize me for gallbladder removal. I’ve been struggling to get back to normal from that and in the meantime my local hospital got a pulmonologist who is very knowledgeable in PAH!

I am scheduled in June for testing. I had already been diagnosed with pah in 2018 by my original pulmonologist who had vague knowledge of pah, but had no further testing after that. I was put on ambrisenten at the time and then put on to tadalifil. Tadalifil landed me in the hospital unable to breathe. Once I have these follow-up tests done in June my new pulmonologist is going to talk to me about remodulin or tyvaso.

So that’s the story of the last 4 years of my life! Since the gallbladder surgery I feel my health has not been as strong as it had been before it. So the timing of a knowledgeable pulmonologist has really given me hope that there is a way for me to get my strength back.
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>As for the fish I really like cod and tilapia. I also enjoy salmon on occasion.</p>
      Thank you for checking in on me!

• Colleen

May 16, 2022 at 4:21 pm

@jenneyeiklor congratulations on your first grandchild! Boy or girl?

I found myself clenching my teeth as I read your update. You have been through so much and without proper medical support. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you that the new doctor will be able to finally do the proper testing and have the knowledge to provide the best treatment plan for you.

PH treatments can be very helpful and improve quality of life but it’s important to have them prescribed by a doctor who is familiar with them. Proper dosing is key and I wonder if that is part of what when wrong for you with Tadalifil. In any case, there are other treatment options. Please keep us updated and feel free to ask us questions so we can help you.

• jen-cueva

May 17, 2022 at 10:20 am

Hi @jenneyeiklor, what a plot twist when you were there awaiting your first grandchild. Congrats. Was this a boy or girl? How’s that new grandbaby growing?

I’m so sorry that you’ve found yourself in such difficult situations. It was quite an emotional read, so I can only imagine how you have been feeling about this all.

But. I’, grateful that you decided to come back and join us and share some of your experiences. June will be here before you know it, and I’m hopeful the new pulmonologist is knowledgeable and can find the best treatment for you to offer some much-needed relief.

It often takes a little bit to adjust and find the best treatment plan and dosage, but it can be a world of difference once you do.

What day is your appointment? As we get closer, please keep us posted so we can send you positive thoughts and prayers if you wish.

Please know that we are here to support you as you head into this appointment and testing. If you have any questions or concerns, we are happy to help you along the way. You are not alone.

• Colleen

May 16, 2022 at 4:32 pm

@debbie and @jenc my son is about to move to Louisiana and I assume boiled Cajun peanuts are a thing there? I told him to try some and let me know what he things…then bring some home when he visits.

I assume they are much better than the bagged peanuts at the supermarket?

• Jenney

May 16, 2022 at 7:04 pm

Thank you Colleen! It’s been very scary for me not knowing where to turn with no access to proper health care. I just sort of gave up and took my medication every day and hoped for the best. Interesting thought on the tadalifil. I think when I see my doctor in June I’m going to ask him about that.

I have a grandson! Mason! My plan was to retire and move in with my daughter and son in law temporarily to care for him for his first year and I feel very blessed I’ve been able to follow through with that. My son in law is actually a respiratory therapist at Yale/New Haven and he’s helped me by conferring with the pulmonologists that he works with. He actually did that when I was inpatient for my gall bladder surgery at another hospital (ambulance wouldn’t take me to Yale) and the doctors were happy for his help!

I travel back home to PA once a month for a few days but the drive is very stressful for this small town country girl! But my daughter and son in law take very good care of me, watching my diet and making sure I get out to walk several times a week.

• jen-cueva

May 17, 2022 at 10:29 am

Hi, @jenneyeiklor again; so sorry I missed this update when I responded earlier.

It sounds like you are bonding well with Mason. I have a late PHriend named Mason, who I adored, and my other PHriend has a grandson names Mason; it must be a common one for boys, huh?

I bet you have your hands full. But I’m so happy that you’re there with your daughter and son-in-law. It sounds like you can work to help each other, which is fantastic!

This update makes me smile because you sound like you’re safe and surrounded by the love and comfort of your family, plus a much larger healthcare community.

Your SNL being an RT and having those connections must offer you some relief, especially compared to the lack of care you had access o at home in PA.

• jen-cueva

May 17, 2022 at 10:23 am

Hi @colleensteele, yes, those cajun boiled peanuts are yummy. But tell Aidan to get you the fresh ones from a cajun market, etc., not the ones in a can. That will make a huge difference, hehe.

Beware, if you are like most and enjoy the entire bag, that is a sodium overload for anyone, LOL.

Please let us know when you get that chance to try them.

How are you coping with the move? Is he excited, nervous, or a bit of both? He’s such a brave young man.

• Debbie Moore

May 23, 2022 at 6:49 am

@colleensteele I’ve not had cajun ones.  But anything fresh is always better

• Karen Endelman

August 3, 2022 at 12:36 pm

I’ve been lactose intolerant for quite a few years now, so if I could eat anything without repercussions it would be a big bowl of fettuccine alfredo!

I’m new to having PAH and the docs are still playing around to get the rights meds.  I feel pretty good, blood pressure is good, edema under control, O2 levels are good – so I think about indulging in something that I shouldn’t, but then change my mind (or just chicken out).  I’m sure once I am more comfortable with my diagnosis, I’ll have a cheat meal!

• Colleen

August 3, 2022 at 10:44 pm

Oh, I hear you @karene! I am allergic to pesto but LOVE it! Every now and then I will decide to “give it another try”. It’s never been a good idea. I get horribly sick. Sever stomach pains and vomiting, but hey, sure enjoy eating it! LOL!

• jen-cueva

August 4, 2022 at 12:26 pm

Hi @karene, I love anything Italian, so chicken alfredo is yummy. But the heaviness in it kills my belly every time; I usually stick with other sauces.

I understand you want to become more familiar with your diagnosis before you plan any cheat days. I do that on the weekends when my hubby is home and usually Saturday, so I know I have Sunday to rest and debloat as needed, LOL.

It takes a little time to find the best treatment plan. Our bodies are so different, so it’s far from a one size fits all approach with our PH medications.

Aww, @colleensteele, I love pesto too, so not fair. Is it the oil or what in the pesto that you’re allergic to? Pine nuts? It sounds like I need some yummy Italian dishes for you both. I had leftover lasagna yesterday for lunch and could only eat a few bites. I usually try and start with a small salad first. Don’t forget that garlic or any fresh bread, LOL.

• jen-cueva

August 11, 2022 at 12:53 pm

I’ve had a strange craving and wondering if y’all do the same. I love fresh krauts, but this company, Cleveland Foods, has a freshly bagged kraut sold at Sprouts and other stores. They also have kimchi. But the kraut has many flavors. I LOVE the classic caraway. But I do hope to try the whiskey dill and others. I don’t particularly care for kimchi, but kraut, OMG.

I crave it at strange times and only eat it by itself. It’s good, of course, on Brats, etc.

This is my craving for the day. Last week when I went to Sprouts, they were out, so I didn’t get it. It’s an occasional splurge when I do crave it.

• Lucienne

March 14, 2023 at 10:50 am

I can suggest that people with PH or any other health condition should always be mindful of their dietary choices and consult with their healthcare provider before making any significant changes to their diet. While it can be tempting to indulge in favorite foods or treats, it’s important to remember that making healthy choices and following a balanced diet can help manage symptoms and improve overall health in the long run. So, it’s important to find a balance between enjoying food and taking care of your health.

There are several dietary recommendations that people with PH may be advised to follow, including:

1. Limit sodium intake: Eating foods high in sodium can cause fluid retention, which can worsen PH symptoms. It’s important to aim for a low-sodium diet and limit the use of salt in cooking and at the table.
    2. Eat a balanced diet: A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins can help maintain a healthy weight and provide essential nutrients for overall health. See the following recipe:
      Instant pot corned beef and cabbage.
    3. Avoid caffeine and alcohol: Both caffeine and alcohol can cause dehydration and interfere with medication effectiveness, so it’s best to avoid or limit their consumption.
    4. Maintain a healthy weight: Being overweight can put added strain on the heart and lungs, so it’s important to maintain a healthy weight through a balanced diet and regular exercise.
    5. Consult with a registered dietitian: A registered dietitian can provide personalized dietary recommendations based on an individual’s specific health needs and medications.
    • jen-cueva

March 14, 2023 at 11:46 am

Hi @felyna, thanks for your suggestions and tips on healthy eating for those with PH. I did fix the corned beef and cabbage recipe link for the Instantpot. However, the other recipe links did not come out, so I could not edit those. If you have those links, you can easily click the “link” button on top of this response box and add that in. Or, send me the links, and I’m happy to add those for you.

We discussed what we would eat on a particular day if we didn’t have these restrictions and diet recommendations. Thanks again for your valuable tips for staying on a heart-healthier diet.

This would be perfect on Friday for St.Patrick’s Day. Is anyone making any Irish-themed food as they celebrate the luck of the Irish Friday?

• Dorothy

March 14, 2023 at 11:03 pm

Hi Everyone!  I think I was able to log on tonight and so want to share in the fun. Not only have I developed a taste for a no-no but with one foot out the door now, toward our move to MI, I will never again be able to buy my favorite indulgence. It is Publix Premium (store brand) coffee ice cream. Obviously we cant even stock up (like with toilet paper) so that we might take some along!  I hope as we travel beyond the SE I will remember to shop the final Publix store. So if you see someone sitting in a parking lot with a spoon and a half gallon of ice cream pretend it isn’t me. 🍨🍨🍨🍨🍨🍨🍨

• jen-cueva

March 15, 2023 at 12:44 pm

Hi @dorothyirwin-browning, have you had problems logging in recently? If this happens, please let either me or @colleensteele know.

You are too funny! My hubby, Manny, loves ice cream. Yesterday was our 31st wedding anniversary, so I bought him a gift card for $31 at 31 flavors, which is within walking distance of him. Don’t tell, but I got a kid’s cup of daiquiri ice, which was more like a sherbert. I ate that on the way home across the street. That’s my first time in there in about a year.

I’m laughing as I picture you on the side of the road with a gallon of your favorite Publix coffee ice cream and a giant spoon. Too funny because we say we use “spoons” as energy. Have you read the Spoon Theory?

Thanks for sharing and the laugh this morning. Now, why do I suddenly want ice cream? I rarely eat it.

Take care, and please do let us know if you have issues logging in, my PHriend.