• Posted by Colleen on March 2, 2020 at 1:54 pm

I live in Washington state where 2 people have died from the Coronavirus and a nursing home is under quarantine. The concern among the public has gone beyond washing hands more and wearing masks. Now people are stock piling food, water and other supplies and staying home when they can. Two school in my home town are closed today as a precaution.

How much more concerned have you become? Are you still attending work and sending kids to school? Have you cut back on how much you go out, especially socially? What are you doing now that you weren’t doing when you first heard about the Coronavirus concern?

jen-cueva replied 4 years ago 12 Members · 54 Replies
  • 54 Replies
  • jen-cueva

March 2, 2020 at 3:26 pm

Wow, @colleensteele, so crazy! But, I know that everyone goes into panic mode.

For myself, I always tend to take precautions, so I continue this. I will not quarantine myself in my house. But, I wash my hands and am careful as to what I touch while out in public places. My appointments and life continue despite the Coronavirus. I think that folks should have started taking precautions before, not wait until people start dying who may live near them. I think this is all just starting here, unfortunately, and we will learn that many others have had it for a while. Just. my thoughts, interested in how others feel.

Hand washing, watching what I touch, not traveling by plane while using basic hygiene and precautions are my take-ups.

• Brittany Foster

March 2, 2020 at 3:47 pm

@colleensteele and @jenc currently my small state of Rhode Island has a couple reported cases. I am getting a little more concerned because it is hitting close to home. With Rhode Island arleady being a small state, I am sure that the spread though the state may seem faster than others. Like Jen I am practicing good hygiene but with a compromised immune system that can only take me so far! Stay safe!

• jen-cueva

March 2, 2020 at 3:55 pm

Exactly, @brittany-foster, it can only help so much. I started freaking out last month when this all started. Maybe that is why this is nothing new for me, not saying that Colleen is only worried as it was in her state. That certainly makes it more worrisome.

As Brittany mentions, with our compromised immune systems, it is not easy. That is why I am always “on guard”, I guess is what I was trying to say.

• Brittany Foster

March 3, 2020 at 12:26 pm

@jenc I for sure know what you mean! I am also the same way because of how weak my immune system has been. I am also getting worried about going to hospitals for outpatient appointments. It makes me nervous ! I don’t have a mask or anything like that and I can’t just “avoid hospitals” unfortunately for us that’s not a realistic solution! I can only hope that the hospitals are following protocol because my life depends on that.

• Randolph Reynolds

March 3, 2020 at 3:53 pm

Greetings
    A ‘friend’ of mine told me I should be concerned but what defenses do I (or any other person with severe PAH) have? I am in a remote part of Arizona. If this place were to have cases appear I would not attempt to do anything more than I am already doing. Obviously getting striken with the virus would be catastrophic. Too much other stuff to deal with so I let the medical world do its thing.

• Rockefeline Denis

March 3, 2020 at 3:53 pm

Hi everyone. I’m very concerned since they confirmed 2 cases not to far from me in Florida. I’m always on my guard, go out when I really have to. Now it’s getting worse, I chose to order everything needed for the house. Because of our weak immune system we are more exposed than others however, we are still here alive and breathing. We are blessed.

• Jimi Mcintosh

March 3, 2020 at 4:13 pm

My immune system is being compromised by my asthma, COPD and PH. I keep getting this cough every 2-3 weeks. I do not believe that the public is being told the full story. The CDC is being as tight lipped as they were about “eboli”.

I have increased my vitamin intake, less meat, more veggies, just in case it is really passing from animals to humans. It is really bad on people with Chronic illnesses. Praying for a miracle

• Carol Volckmann

March 3, 2020 at 4:16 pm

Hi Everyone, my husband and I have been travelling around the country. both came down with respiratory colds but no fever
    This really made us come to s harsh reality with my PAH with Sclaraderma. We now have masks and sanitizer where ever we go into public places. My doctor also gave me pre medications in the event may have to start taking something. This virus is not stopping us for doing what we wish to do, we are just trying to be a bit more cautious and being aware where we are. Be safe everyone.

• Colleen

March 3, 2020 at 7:14 pm

@jenc you are right about the precautions people should have been taking to begin with. I read a meme today that was funny/not funny. It was a picture of empty store shelved where soaps were displayed. The comment was, “…all these people suddenly buying soap and hand sanitizer…why weren’t they washing their hands until now?”

• Colleen

March 3, 2020 at 7:27 pm

@cdvol3gmail-com it’s a difficult balance between still living our lives and taking precautions. It sounds like you are doing what you can to keep yourself safe and well. I have a 60th birthday party at a poplular cider bar to attend on Friday and I’m debating whether I should attend or not.

That is smart thinking on your doctor’s part giving you pre-medications. I hope you won’t need them but so glad to hear that you have them in case you do.

• Colleen

March 3, 2020 at 7:40 pm

@ripple76, @rockie436 and @jimi I share all of your concerns and am using precautions the way you are. We have started using the on-line supermarket ordering where they deliver to the house. My husband told our boys that when they get home from college every day they should change their clothes, take a shower and wash what they wore that day. We would rather be over the top with caution than risk this virus. I wish their colleges would close their doors and not make the students have to decided between missing class or risking illness by attending. Stay well everyone. I pray for our community always, but especially during difficult times such as these.

• Carol Volckmann

March 4, 2020 at 1:07 pm

Colleen, you and your son have been in my thoughts. Currently we are in CA finishing up with the doctors I have at UCLA and will be heading back to WA when it gets a bit warmer. We have been to every store we pass by to buy more hand sanitizer- every store is out! We found on line how to make our own. Please be stay well and safe.

• Brittany Foster

March 4, 2020 at 3:01 pm

@ripple76 it seems pretty basic to say but I think that proper hygiene (should be done all the time anyways) is really important here. I think that people have every right to feel worried or concerned, especially because the populations that are impacted more severely are those that have weaker immune systems. I know that for me, even the common cold has the potential to turn into something drastic. It’s definitely frightening to think about getting complications from it, but I also am not isolating myself and I am trying my best to go about my daily life while being more aware of proper hygiene and hand washing.

• Brittany Foster

March 4, 2020 at 3:02 pm

@cdvol3gmail-com I didn’t know that you could make your own. Would you mind sharing how to go about doing that? I know that everywhere is sold out of a lot of disinfectant and sanitizer so this would be helpful for people to know I’m sure!

• Brittany Foster

March 4, 2020 at 3:04 pm

@colleensteele great suggestions to pass along about changing clothes when you get home from a public place. God only knows what the clothes can rub up against and the amount of bacteria on them. I also agree that officials shouldn’t be making people choose between getting sick or going to school. It should be a no brainer and those with weaker immune systems should definitely be excused especially if there is an active threat happening in the town.

• Brittany Foster

March 4, 2020 at 3:09 pm

@jimi you certainly are doing all that you can as far as making sure your nutrition is as good as it can be! That is such an essential part of healing and making sure you are treating your body well during this time. Having the control to do the things YOU KNOW are going to help is so important! Focus on what we do have control over and those small things will add up!

• Brittany Foster

March 4, 2020 at 3:11 pm

@cdvol3gmail-com like you, I don’t want to ever put my life on hold for something like this, but I am going to take the precautions and make my decisions based on how I am feeling and how safe I feel with the people I surround myself with when it comes to them having any type of sickness. Even someone with a GI illness could be hazardous because if I were to catch ANYTHING it would make me more susceptible. So that is a good point that it’s NOT just this particular virus to cause concern. It should be any virus that has the potential to attack how we fight things off.

• Brittany Foster

March 4, 2020 at 3:13 pm

@rockie436 I hope that you continue to stay safe! That is a good idea that more people are ordering and using things like delivery services instead of going out into the general public, especially if it is spreading close to home for you. I’m curious how people feel about ordering food out (like take out) vs getting food from the market during a time like this? Would you rather prepare it yourself?

• Rockefeline Denis

March 4, 2020 at 5:30 pm

@brittany-foster I rather prepare it myself. This way I know what I’m eating since I’ve been diagnosed with that condition I eat out less and less.
    Stay safe and breathe easy.

• Carol Volckmann

March 4, 2020 at 8:24 pm

Hi Everyone – hand sanitizers are gone from stores or if they have them the price has gone up by 100%!

Recipe for making your own:
    2/3 cup Rubbing Alcohol or Ethanol
    1/3 cup of Aloe Vera Gel
    Optional 8-10 drops of Lavender, or Peppermint or Vanilla
    Mix and put in sterile bottle

Hope this helps we are doing it.
    Stay well and safe!
    Carol

• jen-cueva

March 4, 2020 at 8:59 pm

So true, @brittany-foster, I agree. We don’t have the choice to stay away from hospitals and clinics. It is scary but it is something that living with a compromised immune system so long, I am like you. I hope that the hospitals follow protocol. Today, I had 2 appointments(dental), no coughing and sick folks, hopefully. So, while I was out, I went to a small local coffee shop.

Honestly, signing in and out of the offices as well as updating paperwork, I realized today that we all use the same pen! So, that was a tad alarming, to me. I thought that maybe I should start using my pen. Hehe

Anyone bring their pen when out at appointments? I am not usually easily stressed about catching the flu/virus, just basic hygiene, and my usual precautions. It is worrisome that the death toll continues to climb.

• jen-cueva

March 4, 2020 at 9:01 pm

Hi @ripple76, well said! I agree 100% with you. It would be catastrophic with PH and my other coexisting issues but I am taking my usual precautions.

• jen-cueva

March 4, 2020 at 9:08 pm

Hey @colleensteele, I can certainly understand your concerns with the boys attending college. The changing clothes are so important and a great reminder. When I worked in nursing, I would go home strip down and shower or take a bath before doing anything. I leave my shoes at the door already, so that was no issue.

I am a tad OCD with Clorox and Lysol wipes already per my hubby, so I think that and hand washing, etc helps.

The grocery delivery is a great idea, I use that often when I am not up to going myself. It is often a life-saver.

Like I tell my hubby, I will not confine myself or stop living, it is a tough balance when something like this is going on. Sadly, most of my outings are appointments, picking up meds, etc. I do add a few fun things in between. Thankfully, I am not riding a subway or using public transportation.

• Brittany Foster

March 5, 2020 at 10:14 am

@rockie436 I feel like a lot of people probably feel the same way about preparing own food vs eating out (especially people are staying away from those salad bars or prepared food bars in grocery stores!) That would be the LAST thing I would go for. People definitely need to keep all this in mind when thinking about hygiene and how quickly something like this can spread too.

Page 1 of 3