• Brittany Foster

March 5, 2020 at 10:25 am

@cdvol3gmail-com good to know for the recipe !! I know so many places and stores are sold out!! To be able to make your own is a good investment ! People should purchase stocks in Purell!

• Brittany Foster

March 5, 2020 at 10:37 am

@jenc There are way more things that I think about now that I didn’t give much thought to before. In another comment I mentioned the food bars at grocery stores. I feel like buffet style places are going to take a huge profit loss and I most certainly will be staying away from the “serve yourself” style centers of grocery stores. I don’t know why I didn’t see this as more of a problem even before honestly! This has really made me think about my own personal hygiene and brought more awareness to these every day things that we are so used to and just accept (like the pen!)

• V.R. Peterson

March 5, 2020 at 1:57 pm

I’m not worried about myself because my husband and I are both homebodies. I am worried about my son because he works in a grocery store — and his wife because she’s a nurse at a very large hospital.

About a year ago, I bought a case of hand sanitizer and decided I preferred soap and water (since I rarely leave home). Since my daughter-in-law and son both work in very public places, I’m giving them the 5 bottles I still have left. For myself, I think I will avoid fresh fruits and veggies until the Coronavirus is no longer a thing. Given that I don’t know where most of the fresh food comes from, I think canned will be safer. Heat kills the virus.

• V.R. Peterson

March 5, 2020 at 2:16 pm

@brittany-foster, here is a link to the recipe for hand sanitizer. If you want scent added, you can add a few drops of essential oil. The CDC recommends that you use at least 60% alcohol, so if you add essential oil of any kind, you may want to use a little more alcohol.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/2/21161346/hand-sanitizer-diy-how-to-hand-wash-cdc-alcohol-virus-illness

• Colleen

March 5, 2020 at 2:20 pm

@mamabear007 I was eating an apple when I read your comment. It hadn’t occurred to me that it might be wise to avoid fresh fruits and vegetables for the time being. You make a good point that canned might be safer.

I have a friend who also works in a grocery store and for that reason we have canceled upcoming plans. She is becoming increasingly worried about her risk of becoming infected.

I will keep your son in my thoughts and prayers. I’m worried about my boys too because they are still attending classes every day.

• Colleen

March 5, 2020 at 2:39 pm

@cdvol3gmail-com thank you for thinking of me and my son. I was about to ask you for the sanitizer recipe but I see now that you already shared it.

Our local news last night shared professional advice and they claim that regular soap is just as efficient. What is more important than what you use is HOW you wash your hands. They put a lot of focus on the thumbs because they are the most used and often the least washed. They pointed out that the back of the hands are also often neglected.

May you and your family stay well! Thanks again for the recipe.

• V.R. Peterson

March 5, 2020 at 2:39 pm

@colleensteele, after I posted this, I realized that fresh veggies should be safe, as long as I cook it. However, salads are still out. That’s going to be extremely difficult for me as I usually eat a few salads a day. I think I may also start avoiding restaurants if the virus starts passing through the community out here.

Since my state (Utah) hasn’t had any cases (except for the ones they flew in from the cruise ship that tested positive before leaving Japan) I’m actually more worried about flu and colds for my son and daughter-in-law. Of course, that could change any day.

• Jo Ann white

March 5, 2020 at 10:40 pm

I am in a part of Florida that has a couple of cases and am trying to decide whether or not to go out to dinner with friends or use my tickets to symphony and theater and ballet. I hate to have to be a prisoner in my house while I am still able to get out to the things I love with my oxygen tanks. Once I am up another liter that will become impossible. I use wipes and avoid people with colds but this is scary…!!!

• Colleen

March 6, 2020 at 2:52 pm

@jo-ann-white I was hopeful this scare would quickly dissolve but instead it seems to be intensifying. I hear you about not wanting to be a prisoner in your home and deciding what you will and will not attempt attending. I was supposed to go out this evening with friends to celebrate a birthday but I decided not to.

My son who had PH and received a transplant has made the difficult decision to not register for the next semester of college. The current one will soon be completed and he’s braving the classroom in an attempt to finish. He might try to find some on-line classes until the virus threat is better controlled.

• Colleen

March 6, 2020 at 3:10 pm

@mamabear007 I was multi-tasking while watching the news last night. Did I hear the Utah just had their first case of the virus?

I decided to continue eating fresh fruits and veggies. My boys seem to be suddenly craving them more than usual and I don’t want to discourage that. I just make a point of washing them even more thoroughly than I usually do.

I made the decision to not attend a birthday party at a bar tonight and wouldn’t have gone if it was at a restaurant either. I almost asked Cullen if he wanted to go see a movie with me tonight and then I realized…oh wait, nope can’t do that. Probably not a good idea.

• V.R. Peterson

March 6, 2020 at 4:37 pm

@colleensteele, nobody caught Coronavirus in Utah. The man and his wife had been on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, and were being isolated in Japan. She had symptoms, so she had to stay in Japan. Even though he tested positive, since he didn’t have symptoms, the State Department flew him home to Utah — because that’s what the man wanted. He was quarantined in a hospital. Then, even though he still tested positive, they allowed him to quarantine himself at home. I’m wondering what the heck those in charge were thinking!

I have to admit that I decided I can’t go without my salads. I bought a few pre-packaged and pre-washed salads from the grocery store today. The grocery store was out of hand sanitizer, and they were rationing bottled water and toilet paper. Good thing I’ve got alcohol and Aloe Vera so I can make my own sanitizer.

I’m more worried for my son and his RN wife, since they both work in very public environments.

I continue to pray for you and your family.

• jen-cueva

March 8, 2020 at 4:29 pm

So true, @brittany-foster! When I think about some of these things, I find that I do most precautionary measures the majority of the time. But, the ones I tend to follow are pretty basic. Like you, these comments remind me that I may need to up my game some.

I think with an increasing number of cases reported, I have found that I am going out less. But, as I mentioned previously, I also do not want to confine myself within my home. On the other hand, if I were to contract this virus, it would only add catastrophe to , my already compromised immune system.

You know, one of the dirties my unsanitary places is the card kiosks that we use to pay at the majority of stores. The keypads are full of germs. My hubby uses Apple pay when possible, but as I told him yesterday, his phone is still tapping and then he touches it.

Another place that always creeps me out although I shop frequently, the produce department. A friend of mine is a manager at a local produce department and shares the horror stories on the germs lurking in that area. Not something that I needed to hear, Hehe

The lists could go forever. I think that is why I tend to use basic precautions with careful handwashing. I also try NOT to touch my face or sit my bag or wallet on a counter.

• jen-cueva

March 8, 2020 at 4:34 pm

Everyone please use your best judgment and keep yourself and families safe. As @colleensteele says, I was hoping this would soon disappear and we would not still be worrying about this.

I am thankful that I only have one appointment planned this week. But, our wedding anniversary is this coming weekend and we are hoping to at least get to enjoy a dinner out. We will see where this all is at the end of the week.

@mamabear007, they are also out of sanitizer at Aldi and my local Kroger. Water is selling like crazy. People are stockpiling like crazy here in Texas. I see that this is not just in our area, though.

• V.R. Peterson

March 8, 2020 at 7:34 pm

@jenc, you can’t even find hand sanitizer Online. I’ve checked Sam’s Club and Amazon. My son tells me that ebay has it, but at exorbitant prices. I think people are going to have to start making their own.

• Brittany Foster

March 9, 2020 at 12:27 pm

@mamabear007 Oh yes, they are sold OUT pretty much everywhere near me too. I also wouldn’t really trust the Amazon shipping right now either. You just can’t be too sure where the packaging is being done and who is packing the boxes. I just read that an Amazon employee tested positive and it made me think about this ! Are people ordering much online right now>? I feel like it’s just a lose lose situation however you purchase things right now.

• V.R. Peterson

March 10, 2020 at 3:24 pm

@brittany-foster, the Amazon employee was from Seattle. I haven’t received anything from their Seattle warehouse, but if I do, I’ll spray the package down really good with disinfectant, then it will stay outside in my deckbox for 14 days. I feel that I’m safer ordering things Online than I am walking through my local grocery store. In the grocery store, I have to contend with everybody that has come into the store sick — and many customers do that, even when they’re symptomatic.

I can protect myself against the germs on the box, but I can’t protect myself against sick people in the store.

• Jimi Mcintosh

March 10, 2020 at 7:02 pm

Viruses do not live long without a host, most have to have heat and moisture. I assume that this is a virus like a cold and not a germ resistant bacteria. Our latest troops in our war on terror were affected by something the enemy fired that didn’t strike them , yet is causing over 2000 troops to exhibit severe brain trauma, similar to what occurred in Cuba.

I was unhappy to hear our government state that 1% of American that are Old, have Respiratory issues, have Multiple
    Medical issues, would be affected. I do not feel that the real story is being given, and most of us cannot be quarantined for 14 days, most of our meds are only available every 30 days.

Most of the germafobs have been wiping and washing for years, now this??? Please tell me the truth. Avoid crowds, congested places, people are about to lock themselves in the house. My doctor gave me a list of things to be aware of, be prepared to call a medical facility before going to the ER. Wash , wash, cough in a napkin, elbow or 5 feet away from others.

Most of all do not panic, use common sense, surround yourself with people you trust and are aware of your medical issues and requirements. We cough to breathe, be aware that others fear coughing and this virus, so try to avoid becoming a target of fear and ignorance. PH (PAH) is not contagious, I wear this mask to protect others not myself

• Rebecca Talkie

March 10, 2020 at 10:48 pm

Only a few cases in northern Ohio. I am in the southwest. But there is no hand santizer, no bleach, no alcohol, no aloe vera gel, no toilet paper and no peanut butter on the shelves here. Someone local said that Senior Citizens, of which I am not one but my husband is, should consider stocking supplies so they can be house bound for two weeks or more. What? I can see humor in this but I too am concerned viewing I have asthma in addition to PAH.

• Brittany Foster

March 11, 2020 at 10:43 am

@mamabear007 so true! I guess it comes down to what we have control over vs what we don’t . Like you said, you can’t protect against what people are doing or not doing to help themselves. People go to stores sick all the time, just as much as so many kids going to school sick. Even if it’s “nothing to worry about” It still may be a matter of life or death for some kiddos.

• Brittany Foster

March 11, 2020 at 11:03 am

@jimi I just came back from my doctor’s appointment and they definitely were following protcol and safety measures as I went in there with an upper respiratory infection. They said the masks were for my own safety too and I was appreciative of how sterile they were. They also told me that they are only testing those that have had direct contact with someone with the virus or have symptoms of the virus after travelling outside of the country. So even the testing for it is very cut back even though my state has confirmed cases.

• Brittany Foster

March 11, 2020 at 11:07 am

@becca I saw something that someone wrote that was like “Why are people just using toilet paper NOW ?! Why are people starting to wash their hands now!?” I think that is funny, but I also know the seriousness of this. I went to my doctor’s today and have an upper respiratory infection that I am being treated for. Scratchy and sore throat too. I was not tested for the virus though because I haven’t traveled and I don’t have a fever right now. I think they are pretty informed on what to look out for too and have had a lot of trainings on this as medical professionals on what is an emergency and what isn’t. They took all the right precautions though that’s for sure. Even did a chest xray just to rule out pneumonia for me.

• Sarah Kuykendall

March 12, 2020 at 4:34 pm

Please everyone, take this very seriously. I may be over reacting, but I’ve put myself in reverse isolation (regular isolation would be the person in isolation is sick). I also have an extra problem because my daughter is an ICU nurse (I’m a retired nurse) and she lives with me. She’s already had 3 patients with rule-out corona cases and does not have the proper equipment to keep even herself safe. I’m lucky in that I have a small apartment attached to the main house where I can stay. There’s a hall between the two parts of the house and my son-in-law put a curtain up a few feet from my door to make kind of an anteroom. So far he’s bringing me my dinner. I don’t want anything cold and I reheat it in a microwave. We’re being a little lax now, but when any of the people in my house get the virus or my daughter has a positive corona patient I will use a stockpile of frozen food I ordered from the grocery which was delivered. When the groceries came, I wiped them all down with Clorox wipes. My dog is staying on their side of the house (this is the hardest part). My cats now have a door in my window and no one but me is supposed to pet them. Angela Merkel (president of Germany) is expecting maybe 2/3 of their population to get the virus. I see no reason we should be different. Healthy and young people will probably do fine, but those who are older or sicker are in dire danger. Please listen to the health care experts and be a little skeptical about the politicians.

Good health to you all!

• Colleen

March 12, 2020 at 5:15 pm

@sarahk my family has become increasingly more concerned as well and doubling our precautions. My son who received a transplant is finished his classes for the semester and is home but the college that my other son attends hasn’t closed their doors. He is still expected to attend every day and it has me so upset.

It sounds like you are taking every reasonable precaution that you can and it’s good that your family is so supportive. I will keep your daughter in my prayers. I can understand how worried you are about her. She is a hero in my book, still going into work and taking care of the sick.

Thank you for the concern for all of us and sharing your advice. I do think it is important that every individual does their part to try not to spread the virus.

• criswell Well

April 13, 2020 at 10:51 pm

All measures conducive to reducing the risk of infection are worth taking. I have always stayed at home now, except for going out to purchase the necessary daily necessities, I will no longer go out. I measure my body temperature once a day to make sure that my temperature is still at a normal level and react in time when I start to get warm. The non-contact electronic thermometer is a good thing, the measurement speed is fast and there is no need to touch the skin. If you use a discount code, it will be much cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Thermometer-Forehead-Contact-Accurate/dp/B086JP7FV9/ code: TMFP0250

Page 2 of 3