Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Laughter is medicine! What are you favorite funny movies?

• Laughter is medicine! What are you favorite funny movies?

Posted by Brittany Foster on March 20, 2020 at 1:09 pm

@jenc and I were talking about funny movies that help us through hard times. I mentioned that I love all Adam Sandler movies. I just think the comedy in them is so funny and relatable! One of my favorites from him is Big Daddy. A lot of adult humor that kiddos probably wouldn’t catch onto so I think it would be safe to watch with kids ages 10 and up LOL. But, I also love the movie Bridesmaids if I need a good laugh!

What are some of your favorite movies? Do you have a particular actor/ actress that you are drawn to when it comes to comedy? I love anything Tina Fey has been in or helped produce!

jen-cueva replied 4 years ago 4 Members · 23 Replies
  • 23 Replies
  • Colleen

March 20, 2020 at 2:54 pm

I love Sandra Bullock and a movie that Cullen and I have watched so many times is The Proposal. I also couldn’t tell you how many times I have watched While You Were Sleeping, When Harry Met Sally and Sabrina with Harrison Ford. I like movies with a nice plot that throws in occasional funny zingers that crack me up. I have a long list of movies I love to re-watch but those were some of my top ones.

• jen-cueva

March 22, 2020 at 11:26 am

All great movies, thanks @brittany-foster and @colleensteele. I also love Sandra Bullock, Drew Barrymore, Adam Sandler, Will Farell, and on. So many excellent comedy movie, actors/actresses. I also think many can play serious will giving us a little dose of laughter, too.

What about your favorite funny Netflix or streaming TV shows? What are y’all watching this weekend?

• Brittany Foster

March 23, 2020 at 10:11 am

@colleensteele The Proposal is a good one ! I love Sandra Bullock movies too! Miss Congeniality was always one of my top movies to quote ! The scene where Betty White sings “to the windows to the walls” is honestly one of the most iconic scenes in any movie!! Ryan Reynolds is quite the cutie pie too and easy on the eyes!

• Brittany Foster

March 23, 2020 at 10:23 am

@jenc my Netflix choice is always Greys Anatomy. I end up watching from the beginning every time, and still watching like it is the first time seeing all the traumatic scenes happen ! (If you watch Grey’s I’m sure you know that top drama filled scenes that I am referring to here). I like to watch Parks and Rec too and The Office. I think the humor is just so funny and dry! I love it.

• jen-cueva

March 23, 2020 at 1:38 pm

OMG @brittany-foster, I am dying of laughter as I think about that scene with Betty White in Miss Congeniality. Hehe- I need to watch that again, too.

I always loved Grey’s Anatomy, too. I can watch the old ones over and over. I am currently replaying some of Parks and Rec to boost the Monday vibes. They are so funny, Amy Poehler is always a great actress.

• Brittany Foster

March 23, 2020 at 4:05 pm

@jenc have you ever seen Baby Mama with Amy and Tina Fey? It is laugh out loud funny!!! We watched it for the first time in one of my high school child development classes LOL!

• Aubrey

March 23, 2020 at 4:36 pm

I like Orsen Welles movies, Tyler Perry movies, Wine Country, Bad Grandma, Melissa McCarthy movies. I’m not much on comedy movies so I watch a lot of crime movies and shows. I’m an ID addict. My all time favorite movie is To Kill A MockingBird.

• Colleen

March 23, 2020 at 4:46 pm

@jenc I love Drew Barrymore too! Music and Lyrics is one of my favorites! Hmmm….maybe that is what I will watch tonight.

Cullen loves watching ER. I think he has watched it from season 1 to the last at least 3 times. Now I’ve started watching it again too. It drives my husband crazy. He said it’s too real and depressing and we have lived too much of it so why watch it? He makes us turn it off when he is in the room.

@drgnfly I just watched Wine Country for the first time last week. Very funny. Melissa McCarthy is great too. Have you watched her show Little Big Shots. She is so great with the children. Funny with a heart of gold.

• Brittany Foster

March 24, 2020 at 11:11 am

@drgnfly I must admit that I never read “To Kill A Mockingbird” even though so many of my peers read this in school! I also have never seen the movie. Would you recommend the book? One of the best books that we had to read as mandatory was “The Catcher in The Rye” one of my all time favorites! And I enjoyed The Scarlet Letter too.

• Brittany Foster

March 24, 2020 at 11:15 am

@colleensteele @dragnfly Melissa Mccarthy is funny in anything !! I loved her in Identity Theif. She was great ! Loved the singing part in the car. hahahaha makes me laugh just thinking about it. When you watch movies that are also books, do you like to read the books first before watching the movie? I always love the books better! It’s funny to imagine who is cast for a role if it were a movie and then to actually see the movie and the director’s take on it is pretty cool. I always do a compare and contrast in my mind when watching it. A lot of movies end up disappointing but one that I thought was really close to what I pictured was “Fault in Our Stars” I don’t think they could have picked a better cast! I really enjoyed the new Netflix movie with Elle Fanning too All the Bright Places! Amazing book to read and quick to read too.

• jen-cueva

March 24, 2020 at 11:52 am

@brittany-foster, I have seen that too. She is hilarious.

@drgnfly, I like Tyler Perry movies, too. I also love Melissa McCarthy; she is too funny. I agree with Britt that Identity Thief is a great one. Dod y’all ever watch her In Gilmore Girls or Mike and Molly? I loved both of those shows.

I am not sure if I have ever seen To Kill A MockingBird, but have read the book in school.

• jen-cueva

March 24, 2020 at 11:58 am

@colleensteele, did you watch that movie last night? I remember watching Music and Lyrics years ago. I think it was with Hugh Grant, wasn’t it? I may need a refresher on that one, too. I have not watched Wine Country but may check it out.

Too funny about your hubby and ER. My hubby was like that years ago, and now he wants to watch that and those shows that are pretty graphic about going to the ER and strange cases. He now likes to debate diagnoses with me, Hehe

• Colleen

March 24, 2020 at 1:46 pm

@jenc I didn’t watch anything last night. I’ve been having really bad insomnia lately so I broke down and took a sleeping pill. It was just one of those Tylonol over the counter kind but it did the trick. I feel so much better today. I’ll probably watch it tonight.

On a funny note…I had on ER on and fell asleep to it. My husband turned it off for me. This morning he commented that it’s bad enough I watch it but how on earth do I fall asleep to it? LOL!

• jen-cueva

March 24, 2020 at 5:01 pm

Oh no, @colleensteele. I am sorry to hear about your insomnia. I am sure the added stress going on has not helped. I am happy to hear that you did take something OTC that helped.

Too funny, your hubby probably really loves ER, deep down, Hehe

I hope that you rest well tonight. Hugs and prayers to you.

• Brittany Foster

March 24, 2020 at 5:08 pm

@jenc and @colleensteele I remember watching Grey’s Anatomy and finding a similar case to my heart condition. I was so happy when I saw it because the girl on the show was such a mystery to figure out what was going on with her and why she was having trouble breathing. She ended up having a vascular ring, same as me! It was wild seeing my diagnosis on a TV show!

• Brittany Foster

March 24, 2020 at 5:12 pm

@colleensteele I am sorry to hear that your sleep has been impacted lately. That is something that I sometimes end up getting too, especially when I am in pain. I call this “painsomnia” it is such a hard part about being in pain and uncomfortable ! What do you think your insomnia is from? I know you have had a lot of increased stress lately too with everything going on and worrying about test results so I’m sure that’s not helping !

• jen-cueva

March 25, 2020 at 9:49 am

Very true, @brittany-foster. I am sure the added stress in today’s climate is not helping. I often deal with insomnia too. I hope that you both slept well last night.

@colleensteele, hoping last night was much better for you. Do you ever read at night to help you fall asleep? I find that if I read articles that I am not interested in, it helps. I also find that when my hubby watches things on tv that bore me, I fall asleep better.

I am sure that as Brittany suggests, your stress and added worry about test results and appointments do not help. I am sending you great big hugs from Texas.

• Aubrey

March 25, 2020 at 12:40 pm

@brittany-fosterI would recommend the book To Kill A Mockingbird. I read it in school and loved it. It’s truth and real life facts.

• Brittany Foster

March 26, 2020 at 8:48 am

@jenc reading at night is something that has helped me. Unless it’s a book that I’m really into or something, then I just don’t sleep if I want to finish it haha! But usually it ends up making me really tired. I like to read to help me sleep if I need to take a medication for my anxiety at night. It just helps to further calm things down for me and helps the medication take better effect. Not sure if you ever found this helpful !

• Brittany Foster

March 26, 2020 at 9:01 am

@drgnfly I will have to read it ! I know tons of friend that read it as required reading in school and it was always one of the books that people actually enjoyed reading too and weren’t just “made to read it” like some of them. I remember reading “Of Mice and Men” in school and I LOVED that. It made me cry like a baby though!

• jen-cueva

March 26, 2020 at 12:40 pm

Yes, @brittany-foster, I do find that reading a book that I am not quite interested in helps me fall asleep. I also take my anxiety medication when I cannot sleep and have tried other things. I try to take a warm bath, listening to calming music, etc. Once these do not help, it is time for my anxiety medications. That and reading something boring helps, LOL.

Yes, if it happens to be a book that I find interesting, I may stay up all night reading.

• Colleen

March 26, 2020 at 5:33 pm

@brittany-foster that scene with Betty White “to the windows to the walls” makes me laugh just thinking about it. Oh, and yes, very much in agreement about Ryan Reynolds!

The past few nights I have slept better. I believed I was handling all the worry without issue but I think the insomnia proved that not to be true. Aidan is feeling a lot better so that’s a relief but I continue to work about my elderly parents in NJ. I hate not being there to help them.

@jenc reading at night does help me relax and fall asleep but with the insomnia I’ve been dealing with headaches. I just put on ER and fall asleep…LOL!

• jen-cueva

April 23, 2020 at 9:52 am

As lockdown continues, has anyone found any new funny favorites to watch? I watched Monster-in-Law again this week. I forgot how much I laughed at that movie. My hubby says that I don’t like to watch his movies more than once. But my favorites, especially ” chick flicks,” I watch over and over-Hehe.

Laughter truly is the best medicine, don’t you agree? Let’s talk about some of your funny favorites.