• Let’s Celebrate National Lazy Day

Posted by jen-cueva on August 5, 2022 at 10:52 am

Often with PH, it’s challenging to get things done. Sometimes, it takes all my energy just to get through the day — to do the bare minimum — like get out of bed and shower, do laundry, or put the dishes away.

Some think of this as being “lazy” – they don’t understand that we use so much energy, aka “spoons,” on basic activities of daily living that other tasks are often left unfinished. But in our fast-paced, productive society, we are often criticized.

Wednesday, August 10, is National Lazy Day. How difficult is it for you when others view you as “lazy,”? Do you feel pressure to be productive?

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 8 months ago 4 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Dawn

August 5, 2022 at 11:35 am

I don’t worry too much about others viewing me as ‘lazy’ or anything else, @jenc, but I am far too hard on myself for feeling like if I just push myself enough I could do things like I used to. I’ve always been too hard on myself, but it’s something I’m getting better at. I know I don’t feel well when I push too much now, even with my oxygen on, and I’m getting better at resting when I need to during whatever I’m working on. I still struggle with knowing when it’s a ‘legitimate’ need to rest, or just me not pushing myself enough, but I’m more able to go ahead and rest. Always a work in progress!

• jen-cueva

August 5, 2022 at 11:48 am

Oh yes, @dawnt, like you. I’ve always been hard on myself. I still am, but I have been working on this for several years and doing better for the most part. But like you, I still have those days when I push myself or feel like I’m being lazy and need to do more.

I don’t know if it’s a certain age point or when one has had enough; it’s great not to worry what others think. Don’t you agree?

But as you mention, we are often the hardest on ourselves. Learning that our body does better when we don’t overdo help but it does take some time and is always a work in progress, as you said.

I will admit last weekend, when my niece was here, I overdid it and knew it. But I crashed as soon as we got back from the airport, LOL.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this topic. I know many, especially in their early diagnosis dealing with others who don’t understand, get the “lazy” comment quite often.

• Colleen

August 5, 2022 at 2:49 pm

@dawnt maybe something that might help you is reminding yourself of something you did either prior to resting or that you know you will do afterward even if it is something small like feed a pet, wash some dishes, pay a bill, fold some clothes, schedule and appointment…count it! Doing something IS something and we often forget that. Or maybe you had a busier day the day before and that counts for “something”.

It’s always good to hear from you. I hope you have a nice weekend.

• Dawn

August 6, 2022 at 8:18 pm

@colleensteele, what you wrote makes sense. I do the small things, and sometimes that’s enough. I tend to ‘discount’ those small things, but they do count! Some days, it’s enough that I get myself to work and back home! It’s sounding like we may be able to keep our hybrid schedules permanently at work, so I’m hopeful I’ll continue to have those two days a week working from home until I retire in a few years. There are days, though, that just getting through the work day is tiring enough since I have to take along oxygen tanks. It’s so much easier at home, and I love being here with my boys all day.

I read in another post, Colleen, that you’ve been having some as of yet undiagnosed medical issues.  Please know that I’m thinking of you, wishing you answers very soon and that it’s something easily treatable.

• Colleen

August 8, 2022 at 7:05 pm

Thank you so much @dawnt. I’m having problems with Neuropathy, migraines and fatigue. So far everything I’ve been tested for has come back negative. I would just like a non-serious, treatable diagnosis but no luck so far.

You remain in my thoughts and prayers. Are you looking forward to retirement in a few years? Any plans?

• Dawn

August 9, 2022 at 7:32 pm

Yes, @colleensteele, I do look forward to retirement! It’s down to a bit under 4 years now to my full retirement age, according to the government anyway. Whether I work that full amount of time depends on how I feel.  My plans are to perhaps do some day trips to different sites throughout Pennsylvania or closer states. I used to take one day train trips with my mother, and it’s something we enjoyed. I love trains, so it’s a great option to travel. I think I’ll also do some sort of volunteering as well, but exactly what depends on my physical status at that point.

Hang in there with getting a diagnosis, Colleen. I seriously thought I wasn’t going to get a diagnosis in time to save me because of how badly I felt by the time I got a diagnosis and the medication finally started working. Everyone here on the forums, and I’m sure in your personal life, know how strong and caring you are.  You’ll come through this, and I hope the answers are exactly what you’re hoping for. Non serious, and easily treatable.

• Colleen

August 10, 2022 at 6:10 pm

@dawnt those retirement plans sound perfect and I love that you hope to even fit in volunteer work. I’m grew up in South Jersey and attended College in PA so I know how beautiful much of the state is and how lovely a train ride would be. I hope in 4 years I get to hear about your journey’s.

• jen-cueva

August 11, 2022 at 12:16 pm

Wow, @dawnt, I love that you have such relaxing and enjoyable retirement plans ahead. Four years will pass by in no time.

I’ve not been much up that way, but I bet a Fall train ride would be lovely. Manny enjoys train rides; we have been on several old steam engine train rides. But Other than that, I haven’t been on long train rides.

One day we plan to ride the Coaster down the coast here and just chill. We have yet to do that, too. So many adventures and not enough time or energy, LOL

I agree with your kind words about our kind-hearted, loving, and supportive Colleen. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. You make a difference Dawn.

• jen-cueva

August 8, 2022 at 1:35 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I love that you remind @dawnt and us all that those simple tasks are “something.” I, too often, dismiss many tiny tasks, especially the mundane ones or part of our usual routine.

For example, Dawn shares that some days, getting ready for and making it to and from work is enough. Those are the tasks that take more out of us than we think. Those all count.

Those long calls when you’re on hold for someone to schedule appointments or pay a bill, that hold time counts, too. That’s exhausting at times.

Dawn, I’m happy that you’ll probably get to continue the hybrid work schedule. I know that staying home and being with your boys is where you want to be. It’s much easier. But working part-time remotely, I sometimes miss going into an office. But then again, it’s been almost 18 years since I’ve done that. LOL.

We do have online video calls, and that interaction helps, too. Do you miss that in-person office interaction on days when you’re at home?

• Dawn

August 9, 2022 at 7:39 pm

Hi @jenc. Our team has our own private ‘teams’ message site, regular team meetings, one day weekly that we are all in office. Right now is our busy time, so we’re working more in office when needed throughout August. So, no, I usually don’t miss the interaction of not being in the office when I work from home! We typically have communication throughout every day.

• ky

August 9, 2022 at 4:38 pm

I cannot wait to tell my hubby that our anniversary is on National Lazy Day!!! What perfect timing as I have been trying to get him to recover our recent trip to a high elevation lake.. Mandatory DOWN time for us … sip some expensive wine and watching the birds and maybe order some sushi delivery to the house, sounds like the Perfect Anniversary to me! I am going to start looking for a cheesy movie and my fuzzy slippers hahahaha

@dawnt, My husband still works .. kind of full time, mostly part time, and I am so stinking proud of him, even on the days he comes home and sleeps with oxygen cranked .. just getting up and getting to work on time is a big task!

@Jenc great reminder that those little tasks Do count and I am here to say those around you notice and appreciate it! and honestly (as we discussed) we really WANT you to take it easy and count that small stuff hahaha

Sending love and light and happy lazy day thoughts to you all (cheers to sitting with wine watching my itty bity birds and getting food delivered, thank heaven for National Lazy Day!)

• Colleen

August 9, 2022 at 4:54 pm

Well @kygon I wish you and your husband the Laziest Anniversary! I bet Hallmark doesn’t have a card for that!

• jen-cueva

August 11, 2022 at 11:53 am

LOL, @colleensteele, maybe you should come up with that Lazy anniversary card line. You or @kygon would do an excellent job at creating cards. Perhaps a collaborative effort?

I can see them now all hilarious, some with a pun that some may take longer to get. I look forward to seeing your creativity at my local Hallmark store soon.

• Dawn

August 9, 2022 at 7:51 pm

@kygon, good to hear I’m not alone in feeling just getting to work and through the day is sometimes a lot. I’m sorry that your husband knows the feeling, and I’m sure many here on the forums know the feeling.

Wishing everyone exactly the National Lazy Day that they want!!

• jen-cueva

August 11, 2022 at 11:50 am

Hi @dawnt, yes, I relate to why you prefer working at home days. I enjoy working from home to work at my own pace for the most part. But working in your PJs can take away from productivity, some say. What are your thoughts?

I have days when I stay in my PJs at least half the day. If I have calls or something to do, I usually get dressed in the morning for the day. Otherwise, why waste water and dirty laundry?

Yeah, with daily communication and calls, that would help. Plus, as you mentioned being busy and in the office more this month is enough. I like the balance, but I also haven’t worked in person, like going into a job daily for almost 18 years.

• jen-cueva

August 11, 2022 at 11:45 am

Hi @kygon, I hope you and Bryan enjoyed a lazy but wine-y day yesterday to celebrate your anniversary! That’s so cool. I now wonder if you won, and he rested, and y’all ordered take-out for dinner. Did y’all? I sure hope you didn’t forget those fuzzy slippers, hehe.

I feel like the Lazy Day theme bug bit me. I’ve had a PH kind of week, so I plan to get dressed and get out of the house today. I’ve crashed early, and Manny made Taco salad for dinner on Tuesday that I almost slept through. When the PH symptoms hit you in every direction, it;’s challenging to focus on completing any simple tasks. I have sticky post-it notes with reminders of my “to-dos” for the week all around the house.

Ky, I admire how much you share about your lives. I love that you share how “stinking proud” you are of Bryan for working. That’s because, you know, just getting out of bed and getting dressed some days is a chore. Y’all make an excellent team!

• ky

August 9, 2022 at 4:46 pm

@Colleensteele, great reminders that all tasks count and I love the remembering what you did before resting .. I might just start using this as tool in my pocket and remind my husband what he just did before he collapsed.. As always thank you for your wonderful insight .. Praying for you family and hoping you get some answers soon for all your medical issues.. sometimes it is nice to just have a name for something!