This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Kathleen Sheffer 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author
     Ann Goddeyne 
    Participant

Is anyone using liquid oxygen? Does Medicare cover this? I am just reaching 65. My oxygen needs increased beyond that of my portable concentrator. I am considering switching to liquid oxygen. Will be starting Medicare in July. Thanks

Kathleen Sheffer 
    Participant

Hi Anne, I used liquid oxygen before my transplant. I’m pretty sure my tanks only went up to 6 liters, though. I’m not an expert, but I think Medicare should cover it, especially if your doctor prescribes liquid oxygen specifically. I found liquid oxygen to be much less drying so I hope you are able to use it!

Brittany Foster 
    Keymaster

I would say to definitely check with your oxygen providers too for this. I use a company for my oxygen that doesn’t provide liquid oxygen. They use the condensed oxygen tanks ( usually I end up taking a few at a time with me when I go out in case they run out). It’s challenging when the POC only goes up to a certain amount and runs out quickly when on continuous flow. I hope they find something that works better for you and that is covered. I would talk with the oxygen provider about this. They probably know the ins and outs about the insurance too.

Dennis smith 
    Participant

Ann, I have been on lquid for two years. Portable compact T goes up to 10 liters. Weighs 10 lbs full, I made a backpack. Problem is getting liquid outside your carriers area! Companies are trying abd have reduced the number of users. Because it is to expensive fir them to service..

At 8 liters I can get 2.5 hours of time out of one tank.. Hope that helps,, and yes it is covered

Kathleen Sheffer 
    Participant

Thanks for your response, Dennis. I also had some difficulties getting liquid oxygen delivered while traveling – takes a lot of planning and nagging of the companies so I ultimately opted for a portable concentrator.

Dennis smith 
    Participant

Kathleen. Called hospital. Found out who supplies their oxygen, then called that company abpnd tol them I am coming in from out of state.They said they would fill my top loader, but I needed to bring it there. This is in Conn. I know Western PA will also
    Not sure if it will be covered,but gives me an option..PA supplier said to try Prax Airb national company everywhere. . Sorry for spelling etc at gym on bike.

Kathleen Sheffer 
      Participant

Dennis, that’s a good strategy to call the hospital in the state you are traveling to. Also means you know where to go to if you have an emergency. I hope it works out for you and insurance covers it. Sounds like you are a good advocate for yourself!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account