• Kathleen Sheffer

April 19, 2018 at 4:50 pm

Hi Anne, I used liquid oxygen before my transplant. I’m pretty sure my tanks only went up to 6 liters, though. I’m not an expert, but I think Medicare should cover it, especially if your doctor prescribes liquid oxygen specifically. I found liquid oxygen to be much less drying so I hope you are able to use it!

• Brittany Foster

April 20, 2018 at 11:50 am

I would say to definitely check with your oxygen providers too for this. I use a company for my oxygen that doesn’t provide liquid oxygen. They use the condensed oxygen tanks ( usually I end up taking a few at a time with me when I go out in case they run out). It’s challenging when the POC only goes up to a certain amount and runs out quickly when on continuous flow. I hope they find something that works better for you and that is covered. I would talk with the oxygen provider about this. They probably know the ins and outs about the insurance too.

• Dennis smith

May 2, 2018 at 2:50 pm

Ann, I have been on lquid for two years. Portable compact T goes up to 10 liters. Weighs 10 lbs full, I made a backpack. Problem is getting liquid outside your carriers area! Companies are trying abd have reduced the number of users. Because it is to expensive fir them to service..

At 8 liters I can get 2.5 hours of time out of one tank.. Hope that helps,, and yes it is covered

• Kathleen Sheffer

May 2, 2018 at 3:41 pm

Thanks for your response, Dennis. I also had some difficulties getting liquid oxygen delivered while traveling – takes a lot of planning and nagging of the companies so I ultimately opted for a portable concentrator.

• Dennis smith

May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am

Kathleen. Called hospital. Found out who supplies their oxygen, then called that company abpnd tol them I am coming in from out of state.They said they would fill my top loader, but I needed to bring it there. This is in Conn. I know Western PA will also
    Not sure if it will be covered,but gives me an option..PA supplier said to try Prax Airb national company everywhere. . Sorry for spelling etc at gym on bike.

• Kathleen Sheffer

May 3, 2018 at 9:50 pm

Dennis, that’s a good strategy to call the hospital in the state you are traveling to. Also means you know where to go to if you have an emergency. I hope it works out for you and insurance covers it. Sounds like you are a good advocate for yourself!