Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Preparing for Winter (and Seasonal Affective Disorder)

• Preparing for Winter (and Seasonal Affective Disorder)

Posted by ally on September 20, 2018 at 1:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I live in Toronto and I’ve noticed lately that the days are definitely starting to get shorter. The sun doesn’t rise until almost 7am and it’s starting to set awfully close to the time when I leave the office. I sometimes struggle with feeling blue in the winter because of the lack of sunlight, and I’m trying to think ahead about ways to help myself feel better when winter is finally here. For example, I’m stocking up on tea and good books that I can cozy up with when it’s too cold and dark to venture outside.

Do you live in an area impacted by daylight savings/shorter days? Do you ever experience Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)? Are you dreading the winter or looking forward to it?

I’d love to hear from you!

Ally

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 4 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • jen-cueva

October 27, 2022 at 1:11 pm

I wanted to revisit this post because SAD starts affecting people during the fall and winter. How are y’all coping?

What things do you do to help if you experience SAD? I love Ally’s idea of stocking up on teas and good books. I love hot tea, too. It’s known that SAD affects more females than males.

I tend to experience similar symptoms when time falls back, which is soon. It will be dark at 5 PM, and I’ll be ready to be home and inside under a cozy blanket.

Let’s talk about this.

• dorothy

October 28, 2022 at 10:21 am

This year winter is more than I can imagine. I am 80, have lived the second half of my life in Florida. Now to be closer to parts of the family we will move back to Michigan to a nice continuous care retirement community. I almost think the cold, the slippery roads are not the hardest part. It is the gray overcast days, so many of them.
    So why would we go north?  My diagnoses are first pulmonary hypertension, starting about 10 years ago, then multiple myeloma, which was changed repeatedly and now is being called lymphoma. Then amyloidosis was added and seems to be in many areas of my body. We have too much yard and home for my husband to take care of.  He has been my caregiver for over 2 years and is waring down. Pieces of the family are in the area. It is where he needs to be when I am gone.
    Our date for move in got pushed back so we will have mostly sunny days for one more winter but must use the time sorting and packing. Then move about March while roads are still undependable.
    There is no time today to pursue hobbies like watercolor since I spend most if my time sleeping. But every chance I get I love to read. The book or Kindle can be started and stopped so easily. Sitting in the sunroom looking out of the glass at my little park setting or watching the birds is a wonderful experience every time.
    So yes, share other ideas that work for you.  Doti

• Colleen

October 28, 2022 at 9:29 pm

@dorothyirwin-browning that is quite a transition from Florida to Michigan, but since you are originally from there at least you know what to expect. Still, having spent as long as you have in Florida it will take getting used to.

You sound like the type of person though that seeks joy in the little things. The scenery outside your window in Michigan will be different but I bet you will find glimpses of things that will still make you happy.

Although you are the “patient” it is obvious you look after your husband as best you can. In many ways you are also a caregiver.

Keep us updated as you prepare for the big move. I wish you lots of luck with it and a smooth transition.

• jen-cueva

October 31, 2022 at 12:49 pm

Hi Doti, @dorothyirwin-browning, I agree with Colleen; that is quite the transition. But I certainly understand your reasons for this. Last year, my hubby and I sold our large home and downsized as we moved across the country from Texas to San Diego.

Although he has distant relatives in CA, we left most of mine in Texas. But we decided to follow our dreams as San Diego is where we started as he was in the Navy.

Your sunroom sounds lovely. I bet the retirement center will also have a beautiful sunroom in Michigan. Reading is enjoyable because we can get lost in a good book. I’m happy that you have another winter in Florida before the big move.

I imagine your family is excited for you and your husband to be there with them. Although it’s a big change, I have no doubt you’ll do well after some transition period. Do you have grandkids there, too?

Like you, my hubby is my caregiver, but we continue to be their caregiver in many ways. I look forward to hearing more about this big move and wish you all the best. Please let us know how we can support you along the way.

I think getting outdoors when the sun does decide to peek out help. I also love to cozy up on the couch with a warm blanket and a good book. For some reason, I don’t do as well with Kindle; I prefer a book in hand. I know it sounds weird, LOL

• jen-cueva

November 3, 2022 at 8:32 pm

Today, I thought of you @dorothyirwin-browning. It’s cold( In my opinion) and wet. It’s been overcast and dark. I’m under my warm cozy blanket watching movies on the ID channel.

Speaking of movies, I noticed Christmas movies are on admin full force. I haven’t watched any yet. I usually try to wait until Thanksgiving if I can, lol.

• Colleen

November 4, 2022 at 3:29 pm

@jenc I came so close to clicking on a Christmas movie last night but I slapped my hand. LOL. Like you I try to wait until Thanksgiving.

• jen-cueva

November 4, 2022 at 3:56 pm

@colleensteele, too funny! We’ve been on the same brain wave quite a bit this week. I looked for something, and it was all over Hulu, but I am trying to wait.

I hope that you, Cullen, and Brian have a relaxing weekend. Stay cozy. I was using the blanket you gave me last night. I LOVE it!