Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Pulmonary Hypertension and Depression

• randolph-reynolds

September 18, 2018 at 9:52 am

My depression before PAH was chronic for a couple years but now it is made worse by the hypertension and things like site pain. I have to force myself to do what I must but the days when I was enjoying just living seem to have vanished. I have seen several psychologists and if it weren’t for the PAH I believe I would do better. I have been on anti-depressants for several years but they don’t solve the problem. What helps me is to stay involved with something but of late the addition Remodulin has messed me up. If my PAH treatment were to get smoothed out things would be better.
    I believe my age effects my ability to be resilient. The whole business is mental and depression wants to feed on itself. My psychiatrist told me I was doing much better than when I first saw him. Perhaps I make too much of it. I’m learning to let the past be the past.

• ally

September 18, 2018 at 10:01 am

Hi Randolph,

Thank you for being so open and honest about your experience with depression. I’m really sorry to hear you’re struggling, too. You mentioned that you’re finding it hard to enjoy life. What are some of the things you used to take pleasure in doing? Do you do anything in terms of “self-care” right now?

Even though you said that you think your age has impacted your ability to be resilient, reading your post, I get the impression that you are a resilient person. It’s great you’ve actively reached out for help from mental health professionals. That is a hard step for many people! What made you reach out to psychologists?

P.S. I’m Ally, one of the new forum moderators. Nice to meet you! 🙂

• randolph-reynolds

September 18, 2018 at 12:51 pm

Hello Ally
    Actually to answer all your questions in detail would take a while and the short version is that in order to combat depression it usually takes medication (can only be proscribed by a Psychiatrist or Doctor) and some kind of emotional therapy (usually a psychologist). In my case I was trained to keep up my battle for taking care of myself a long time ago.

By the way what does a forum monitor do? Right now I’m under the care the best PAH doctors in Arizona. My impatience to get felling better emotionally will definitely improve my management of this disease. Many people my age begin having to deal with things going wrong in their bodies. It goes with the time of life I suppose. In my case there were several things that contributed to my condition.

Thanks for your interest

• ally

September 18, 2018 at 2:28 pm

Thanks for responding, Randolph. I’m glad to hear you have learned coping skills that are helping you and that you’re also under excellent care for PAH.

As a forum moderator, my role is to answer questions and support members in being engaged and connected to each other. If you have any suggestions as to how to make the forums better, please let me know. Thank you for being here. 🙂