Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Race Against PH, Stanford, CA

• Race Against PH, Stanford, CA

Posted by Colleen on August 20, 2019 at 8:00 am

On November 3rd, Stanford, in Palo Alto, CA, is having their 19th Annual Race Against PH 5K. This event is near and dear to my heart because of many reasons. My son’s PH was treated at Stanford and it’s where he had his transplant. In November 2014, 3 months post heart/lung transplant, he and I participated in the Race Against PH with his closest PH/Transplant friends and fabulous PH medical team. My son and his friends grew up battling their PH years and transplant recovery together. Their PH doctor invited the three of them up on the stage to ring in the start of the race with him. It was a very moving moment. Those friends have since passed away which makes the memories made that day so very precious.

We haven’t been able to attend since then but there is a small chance we might make it this year and I really hope we can! Stanford does a really nice job organizing the event and if you live in the area and haven’t been before, I highly recommend it.

If you have participated in Stanford’s Race Against PH in the past, what was the experience like for you? Have you been to an event like this in another state and if so, share your memories with us.

Here is a link to the 19th Annual Race Against PH.

http://med.stanford.edu/raceagainstph.html

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • jen-cueva

August 20, 2019 at 1:30 pm

Oh, Colleen, that would be awesome if y’all are able to make it this year! I can imagine the connection you and your family have with Stanford since he had his transplant there!

I am hoping that soon we will be seeing stories and pictures of the memories that you and your family make there.

I was a part of the PHkids4acure walk here in Houston and the memories still make me smile. It was several years ago, but I really enjoyed helping with such a near and dear event.

• Colleen

August 20, 2019 at 1:42 pm

Thanks Jen! I don’t know if it’s going to possible. The race is on a Sunday. If we go the Sunday before appointments he might be too exhausted or all the tests and procedures starting the following day. If we do the week of appointments first I don’t know if we could stick around for the race the following Sunday. My son will be in college and he’s already stressing about missing school for a week. We drive from WA to CA and back so he would want to leave by Saturday to be back in time for school the next week. We’ll see if I can work something out.

I love that you were part of the PHKids4ACure walk! I can just imagine the memories you made doing that!

• Brittany Foster

August 20, 2019 at 6:51 pm

Colleen and Jen,
    I haven’t been to any PH specific walks actually! But I would love to go. I do participate in the walk for 100 which is in Boston for Congenital heart disease (also some kiddos have PH too) going to these walks and seeing all the families and even the kids that are fighting these big battles is so moving and really helps to give me strength at the end of the day. It is like they are living so carefree. To see the amount of support that people have is really great and it’s encouraging to see so many from the community getting involved either through volunteering or walking. It makes me feel less alone in all of this. I always love attending the Breast Cancer walk near me too for this reason. I just look around and think “wow, all of these women (and men) are so strong!) They all do it with a smile on their faces too.