Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diagnosis Information and ​General​ ​Questions What are some essential items you would add to a “surgery survival kit”?

• What are some essential items you would add to a “surgery survival kit”?

Posted by brittany-foster on December 13, 2019 at 12:19 pm

Recently, I was in awe to find out that one of my doctors is having surgery for the very first time. It seems such second nature for me to be wheeled into an OR, pack a bag for a hospital trip, and even recover from a surgery. It is something that I have been “used to” for the last 28 years. I am going to create a “surgery survival” package for my doctor before she goes into her surgery.

I am already thinking of putting these items in a basket: Therma care heat wraps, chapstick, candy and snacks, a journal and pen, colored pencils and coloring book, lotion, dry shampoo.

I know there are a lot of things I should add into this survival kit. If you were giving something like this to someone that was having surgery, what would you add to it?

brittany-foster replied 4 years, 2 months ago 7 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Colleen

December 13, 2019 at 4:00 pm

Brittany,
    I know it’s a pain have a lot to carry into the hospital but my son, in addition to his “survival kit” would always bring his favorite pillow and blanket from home. It has always been the two most important comfort items to him, especially when recovering from surgery.

The other things would be ear plugs in case you experience a sensitivity to noises during recovery, headphones/earbuds so you can listen to music either from your phone or other device, and chargers. I mention chargers because they are the easiest thing to forget when stressed about a surgery.

• andrew-michael-rossi

December 15, 2019 at 12:55 pm

Hey Guys
    I’d add Bottled water! The hospital carafes are germ ridden! Also some non clorine wipes to wipe down bedside tables and bedrails etc. Can you tell I’m a germ phobe?
    Andrew

• brittany-foster

December 16, 2019 at 12:10 pm

Andrew,
    Really good advice! You would think that the hospitals would be pretty clean, or that they would have to be as clean as possible but it’s definitely better to be overly clean and tidy ! Especially with cleaning up the room. I think that their own water bottles is a really good idea! Definitely going to add that into the package !

• brittany-foster

December 16, 2019 at 12:21 pm

Colleen,
    I am about to head to the hospital soon actually and I am not sure whether or not I will be staying overnight and this was a good reminder for myself! I always bring my own blanket and pillow even if I am just staying for a little while. I need that comfort from home and the hospital sheets always smell like weird soap to me! It’s one of those smells that just reminds me of being in a hospital and the less “hospital-y” it feels, the better!

• rebecca-talkie

December 17, 2019 at 11:09 am

As a nurse, I would like to caution against bringing candy and snacks until eating things like this is cleared by the medical staff. Bringing something like that to a person who is on a liquid diet for example would be too tempting. Just saying….

• brittany-foster

December 17, 2019 at 12:30 pm

True. I can’t have candy so I know how this is, especially with my aspiration risk post op. I would definitely clear it with medical professionals before progressing to more solid foods immediately post op! Thank you for the input and reminder !

• kimberly

January 6, 2020 at 8:09 pm

I live in a very small rural area and have to drive 2 hrs to see my doctor. There is small hospital here but they don’t carry or stock the medications I take, so when I have a local hospital I have to bring my own medications.

• v-r-peterson

January 7, 2020 at 3:14 pm

The only thing I can think of that wasn’t already mentioned is a hair brush. If she has long hair, dry shampoo will be nice until she can get in the shower.

• brittany-foster

January 7, 2020 at 3:45 pm

@duncilk I also do the same with my medications. There are some specialty medications that some of the top hospitals even don’t stock up on. Especially when I have to go to the chilren’s hospitals. They don’t usually have things like my specialty estrogen patch. Sometimes I run into trouble with getting the exact medications that I need too and the dosage. Does that ever happen to you when you are inpatient?

• brittany-foster

January 7, 2020 at 3:47 pm

@mamabear007 I agree! The hairbrush is always MUST! That and I always end up forgetting a hairdryer too. I don’t like to have wet hair in the hospital bed. I don’t like laying down on a wet pillow.

• coastalphriends

January 7, 2020 at 7:38 pm

Oyster crackers and muscle milk for backup.

• brittany-foster

January 8, 2020 at 4:16 pm

Tamara,

I love the oyster crackers and muscle milk suggestions ! Sometimes the only form of extra protein drink they have at the hospitals is that NASTY ensure plus or ensure protein. Muscle milk adds a better flavor for sure! Also everyone loves those oyster crackers for nausea. I always end up having my mom grab a bunch of extra crackers from the cafeteria !