Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH What Are Your Thoughts Now That Wearing Masks Is Part Of The Norm?

• What Are Your Thoughts Now That Wearing Masks Is Part Of The Norm?

Posted by Colleen on April 16, 2020 at 4:08 pm

My son couldn’t delay labs any longer and had to venture out in public today for the first time since lockdown. He waited outside until his name was called. As he was waiting he was amused to experience for the first time, not being stared at for wearing his Vogmask. What he observed was that it was the people not wearing masks getting odd looks from people.

Cullen would like to know how all of you feel now that the show is on the other foot? Does it make you feel a little less “different” when out in public? Do you feel better protected from germs now that more people are wearing masks? How long after lockdown do you think people will continue to wear them?

Personally, I envision people quickly taking the masks off and leaving them off. Then I fear that Cullen will be stared at even more when wearing his. Cullen agreed and said, “People will look at me comment that masks are soooo 2020!” I thought that was funny but probably accurate.

V.R. Peterson replied 4 years ago 5 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • jen-cueva

April 20, 2020 at 8:58 am

I have to go to do my labs tomorrow, @colleensteele. I have waited long enough for my doctors. I am quite a bit behind.

That is so funny and probably true. Let Cullen, know I agree. We have worn masks “before it was cool.” That will be one thing that everyone will remember when this is over, for sure.

I have used masks before, but mostly when I have bronchitis, which is often several times per year. If anything, I have been trying to find cute ones that I can wear more often as needed. I doubt that I find any soon. My mom is making me a few to send me, too. Honestly, I feel that we will see more people wearing a mask after this. I say this as I think the “germaphobes” will be the ones who continue this “trend” mostly. I do feel like Cullen, that people may stop staring.

I love this question from Cullen.

• Aubrey

April 20, 2020 at 11:52 am

Wearing a mask hasn’t bothered me. I look at it the same way as I did when I first left the hospital and had a subq pump attached to me. Only difference is a mask is more visable. My only issue is I have panic attacks wearing a mask. I feel I can’t breathe even though I know I can. My fiance has to say relax calm down just think of other things and let’s go do this. When that happens I do the breathing I learned in the online pulmonary rehab. As for the length of time masks should be worn I think until a vaccine is made and everyone has been given it. I don’t think masks help 100% but it’s better to wear one than not wear one. Thankfully I have a friend who is making cloth ones so I can wash them over and over and she’s sending them to anyone who needs them friend or not. She’s just asking for a small donation to help cover material and shipping is free.

• jen-cueva

April 20, 2020 at 12:04 pm

Hi @drgnfly, I tend to find it more difficult to breathe with the masks but will wear them. Your fiance sounds quite supportive, that is great! I bet the panic attacks are because you feel like you cannot breathe, is that how you think?

I, too, think that we should continue this “new fashion” until we have a vaccine, or at least we have no more cases.

I also know that they are not 100%, but every little bit helps, right? I am waiting for my mom to make me some and mail them to me. That is great that your friend is making some, too. Does she ship out of state? I may want to ask her for a few, too. My thoughts are if they are fashionable, I will wear them more, Hehe

You could send me her info or vice versa. Does she happen to have an Etsy store or anything?

• Colleen

April 20, 2020 at 3:53 pm

@jenc the Vogmasks are great. Cullen and his transplant friends wear them all the time…not just during epidemics. They have a lot of cute designs and pretty colors but are out of stock right now. Amazon sells them. I’ve seen a lot of really cute handmade ones. Sewing isn’t my thing or else I would be making them too.

• Colleen

April 20, 2020 at 4:01 pm

@drgnfly I love hearing about the kind people making masks to do their part to help during this difficult times. My son never wore a mask when he had PH except occasionally for places such as ER waiting rooms. He has never stopped wearing them since he received his transplant.

Wearing a mask with PH was very hard for my son for the same reasons you mentioned. Same for Halloween masks – he couldn’t wear them.

For those using supplemental oxygen, does that help when wearing a mask or does it just complicate things?

• jen-cueva

April 20, 2020 at 4:22 pm

Thanks, @colleensteele. I think that Kathleen suggested that one to me back in January. I think that was early on, and they were out of stock then. Hopefully, soon, they have them again.

I am with you, and my sewing skills are not good, probably zero, LOL.

People are making such cute ones now. I hope that I will have several to choose from, so they match what I am wearing, Hehe.

• Brittany Foster

April 21, 2020 at 10:26 am

@colleensteele wearing a mask honestly is really hard for me. It makes it harder to breathe and the hot air from my breath just comes right back into my face. I sweat pretty easily too and my face and around my mouth starts to get that damp feeling from the air that I’m breathing out into the mask. I get chapped on my face sometimes from it too and have been applying more lotion lately when I have to wear the mask more. Wondering what people are doing to protect their skin?

• Aubrey

April 21, 2020 at 1:21 pm

@colleensteele I don’t wear oxygen much, only at night and in the Winter time. I’m not sure how well oxygen and masks play together. I would think it might be harder or more aggravating.

@jenc I sent you a message about masks. I just panic with stuff over my face. I even panic washing my face in the shower.

• V.R. Peterson

April 21, 2020 at 3:20 pm

It’s almost impossible to find fabric and elastic for masks, whether I look on the local fabric store’s website or shop the Online fabric stores, so I improvised. I’ve been making duckbill masks out of cotton napkins, table toppers and table runners. For the ear loops, I’ve been using fabric-covered hair elastics.

I offered to make several for my son with CTEPH. The first time, he turned me down flat — said it would scare the customers in the grocery store where he works. Two weeks later, after the CDC said everybody should wear masks even if they’re asymptomatic, he decided he wanted masks. Since I’m a “senior citizen”, my town booster club made some for my husband and me. I gave those to my son and his wife to tide them over until I can make some of my “dinnerware masks” for him — I rarely go anywhere, so he needed them more than I do.

I hope people keep wearing mask until C-19 is no longer a danger to everybody.

• jen-cueva

April 22, 2020 at 7:24 am

Hi @colleensteele, I do still have issues breathing wearing my oxygen under the mask. It does not make a difference, and it suffocates me. This only makes it harder for me to breathe. I am hoping that once available again, I can look into the Zogmasks to see if that makes a difference.

@mamabear007, my mom is still using her scraps and things that she has too. I have heard from her and locally that people are starting to use socks(I am hoping clean ones-hehe) and other fabrics because of the shortage.

That was sett that you gave your masks to your son. I hope that you can make some type if you do have to leave the house. How are you feeling, BTW? You were not up to par last week. Hugs from Texas.

• jen-cueva

April 22, 2020 at 7:29 am

Hi @drgnfly, I am grateful for your message and will message her this morning. Thank you for being so kind and telling us about her. Does the fabric make still make you panic?

I don’t panic in the shower washing my hair. But I don’t wash mine except for about once a week(no judgment, I love e dry shampoo, hehe)I always leave the bathroom door open to shower. That seems to help me breathe.

What area are you in, again? I hope that you have a great new day.

• V.R. Peterson

April 22, 2020 at 8:43 am

@jenc, I did make masks for myself and my husband. I was feeling better a few days ago — even normal — then I overdid it the day after I felt better. Now I’m back to square one.

I’ve been making masks, and as soon as I’m feeling 100%, I’m going to wash them all in hot water and give them out.

• Aubrey

April 22, 2020 at 10:44 am

@jenc I’ve always went into a small panic when washing my face, not sure why. Fabric masks are the only ones I’ve ever worn. I’ve never have had to wear a mask before. As for dry shampoo I love it too. I live in eastern Oklahoma about 45/60min from Arkansas.

Have a blessed day!

• jen-cueva

April 22, 2020 at 12:13 pm

Hey @mamabear007, I hope you rest today and feel much better tomorrow. It’s tough when we tend to overdo it. It sounds like you did just that. Remember that our caregivers need rest, too.

I am sending you positive Vives and hugs from Texas.

• jen-cueva

April 22, 2020 at 12:18 pm

@drgnfly that sounds horrible to panic every time you wash your face. I hope that with time you can learn ways to improve this and have fewer panic attacks. I am so sorry. The masks have to be even more difficult for you to wear.

I was thankful that I did not need masks as I don’t go out except for drives so far. I just heard that our county just went to wearing mandatory masks, so I will need to adjust and have several to use.

I hope that you have not been in the tornado-prone areas. Our friends in OK have been through so many within the last year. Thanks, and you have a blessed day as well. I am sending you hugs from Texas.

• V.R. Peterson

April 24, 2020 at 11:15 am

Thank you for the positive vibes and hugs, @jenc. I do tend to overdo. I gotta quit that. 🙂