Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Oxygen Users What Helps With Dryness In Your Nose From Oxygen?

• What Helps With Dryness In Your Nose From Oxygen?

Posted by Brittany Foster on October 27, 2018 at 5:58 pm

One of our members, @margie-novak recently asked a question for oxygen users. Any advice for her (and I’m sure many others) would be greatly appreciated ! She is on 10 liters of oxygen and has found that her nose becomes dry inside from the high liter flow.

Has anyone else experienced nose dryness from oxygen usage? Can you give our members some tips and tricks about how to help with this? Is there a particular cream that you use that works best?

All advice is welcome !

Brittany Foster replied 5 years, 5 months ago 11 Members · 26 Replies
  • 26 Replies
  • Dori Herrick

October 28, 2018 at 1:06 pm

@margie-novak I have been on higher-flow at times. It seems no matter what you do, your nose will get dry and chapped. You will be advised to use water-based gels, such as Ayr or K-Y, to keep the area moist. It is important to avoid petroleum-based. However, you have to reapply because they dry up fast, which is annoying.

I have found using Neosporin Dual-Action Cream helps heal the sores and has a built-in pain relief. There is no petroleum in the cream, but avoid the “ointment”.

Another discovery which helped me a lot is using the mask made by Oxymask to give your nose a vacation. It has open areas (holes) built in, so it isn’t as hot nor feels as claustrophobic as other masks. You can even drink through a straw with it on.

If you get an area which keeps bleeding, you may want to get an appointment with an ENT doctor. I have had to have my nose cauterized a few times, but it healed it faster.

I hope my information was helpful.

• Brittany Foster

October 29, 2018 at 8:20 am

Thank you for all the great tips and tricks Dori! It truly helps to talk to others who have had the same thing happen to them. I’m sure your advise is much appreciated by other members here too! 🙂 Thanks again for your feedback.

• Kathleen Sheffer

October 29, 2018 at 12:49 pm

Hey @brittany-foster, @margie-novak, and @dori-herrick! I actually wrote a post about this back in August because I had a lot of problems with nosebleeds while on oxygen and blood thinners. My ENT recommended Mupirocin twice daily for prevention and it changed my life (my nosebleeds often lasted several hours!).

Here’s the link to my previous topic.

• Brittany Foster

October 29, 2018 at 5:20 pm

Thank you for the link Kathleen! I want to start seeing an ENT doctor myself for my reflux issues I’ve been having ! The meds I’m on lately just aren’t cutting it ! Maybe they would recommend something for the o2 and cannula dryness too.

• Dori Herrick

October 30, 2018 at 4:48 pm

@kathleen-sheffer Thanks for the link (above) to your August post. It could be helpful to users. Like you said, there is nothing more awful than spending hours bleeding over a garbage can.

• Russene Yount

October 29, 2018 at 8:18 pm

Brittany, ask your O2 company for a humidifier for your concentrator. It’s basically a plastic jar with a lid and outlets for tubing, filled with water. I use one particularly in dry winter months, helps the nasal passages stay moist. I also use Ayr gel and a little saline spray.

• Brittany Foster

October 30, 2018 at 10:09 am

Thank you for the great advice ! I have used oxygen with the humidifier in hospitals before and it helps prevent the drying up that can happen. They particularly use this when I am in the hospital and have to be on a high flow ! I’ll have to definitely ask about this especially with the winter months that are always drying anyways !

• Jessica Kiser

October 29, 2018 at 9:13 pm

So I’m not on oxygen, but I do have a CPAP and a disease which causes me nosebleeds. My ENT told me to use lanolin nipple cream in my nostrils (the kind for breastfeeding mothers). It works amazingly!

• Brittany Foster

October 30, 2018 at 10:10 am

Who knew this type of cream could have many uses ! Thanks for the advice ! I’ll be on the lookout for this.

• Margie Novak

October 29, 2018 at 9:31 pm

Thanks to all for the suggestions. As far as using the water bottle, I do have a water bottle hooked up to my concentrator but it still gets very dry. I am going to try the Mypirocin (sp) but I have to get a doctor’s prescription for that in the interim will try good old Neosporin… that seems to be the ointment for everything ha ha!!! It doesn’t bleed as much as hurts from the cannula being there all the time. Thanks again and everyone hang in there!!!

• Kathleen Sheffer

October 29, 2018 at 9:36 pm

Sounds like a good plan! I definitely remember giving myself nose massages because my nose hurt from the cannula – changing it out can help (I think the plastic hardens over time).

• Brittany Foster

October 30, 2018 at 10:12 am

@kathleen-sheffer good point about making sure to change it out ! When the cannula hardens it can get pretty painful and nasty. Especially this time of year when everyone’s nose is running from the colder weather (for those of us that live in the colder areas)

• Paul Hellwig

November 15, 2018 at 2:06 pm

My ENT suggested Neilmed NasoGel.Best place to buy I found is Amazon.com
        GOOD lUCK

• Brittany Foster

November 15, 2018 at 2:27 pm

Thank you for your feedback, Paul. I’m glad you were able to discuss this with the ENT, I’m sure others have had similar complaints since they were able to suggest something to you! I’ll be on the lookout for this!

• Brittany Foster

October 30, 2018 at 10:13 am

Glad this topic was helpful for you ! Thank you for bringing it to my attention !

• Kacie

October 30, 2018 at 9:59 am

I’m on 3 liters/min 24/7 and my nose is always in some sort of issue state. I use the 02 water bottle on the concentrator, change the canula when it starts to discolor (it hardens and can easily scratch), which is once every ~10 days, and sometimes during the day at rest, I place it under but not in my nose. Placing it under my nose gives me a few minutes of breaks here and there and I still get enough O2 to stay above 90%. Best Wishes to You!

• Brittany Foster

October 30, 2018 at 10:14 am

I’m glad you are taking care of what you can Kacie. I know it can be hard to stay on top of things especially when there is so much cleaning and care of the medical equipment that needs to be done. Good idea to place it under your nose to give yourself a break from it !

• Ann Goddeyne

October 30, 2018 at 12:34 pm

I too could use suggestions. At night, my sinuses get blocked up from the oxygen and I wake up unable to breathe through my nose. I end up sitting up for a while. My sinuses get blocked with dried blood and eventually I can blow it out. Some nights I hate going to bed because I know I will be up every three hours or so trying to breathe. Any one else have sinus issues? Ideas?

• Brittany Foster

October 30, 2018 at 1:11 pm

Ann,
      Something that has always helped with my sinuses is the breathe right strips. You can get them at cvs or a pharmacy. They go around the nose and wouldn’t interfere with the cannula. If you’re able to take a decongestant I would suggest a good PM one . They put you right to sleep but definitely ask your doctor what one they would recommend.

• Dori Herrick

October 30, 2018 at 3:40 pm

@ann-goddeyne
      The Neti-pot or the Sinugator, both by NeilMed are safe ways to flush your sinuses and nasal passages with saline-water. Doing this before bed can remove any blockage already there and also adds lubrication to the sinuses. Not the most comfortable thing at first, but you can get accustomed to it.
      If you have environmental allergies which add to the blockage, Fluticasone (brand name Flonase) helps reduce inflammation in the nose and sinus, making it easier to breathe. Please discuss adding this with your doctor or pharmacist to be sure this will be safe to mix with your other medications.
      Again, using a full-face mask for sleep reduces the drying of the sinuses by allowing you to breathe through your mouth. Full-face masks are also available if you use a CPAP or BiPAP during sleep.
      Wishing you a very good rest!

• Brittany Foster

October 30, 2018 at 5:14 pm

Dori,
        thank you for the great advice on this ! I forgot about the neti-pot. It is such a strange sensation at first but you’re right, you do get used to it and it’s a good way to clear out those blockages. I never thought of the mask as a way to get oxygen until your post about it! This helps to hear about ! 🙂

• Wilma Doan

October 30, 2018 at 5:33 pm

I am on oxygen only at night right now. 100% Shea Butter was recommended to me for my nose being dry and it is safe around oxygen. My husband bought it at a medical supply store.
    Wilma Doan

• Margie Novak

October 30, 2018 at 7:10 pm

Wilma, thank you for that suggestion… going to look for it. maybe they have it on amazon! Thanks again and I hope it works…

• Brittany Foster

October 31, 2018 at 10:12 am

Great suggestion Wilma ! I have used shea butter when my skin is very dry and it seems to help with that a lot ! Never thought about it for the nose. I’m Loving all of these responses !

• jen-cueva

November 9, 2018 at 8:13 pm

Great tips !
    I, too, use the humidifier bottle as well as Ary gel. My nostrils get super dry and I have nosebleeds as well, often. I never thought of an ENT, or nipple cream !,

Y’all are such a wealth of knowledge, even for a long termer , lol

Thanks all…

• Brittany Foster

November 10, 2018 at 8:33 am

Jen,
      The nipple cream totally threw me for a loop!!! I laughed and first and then thought “wow that’s genius!” Almost like the beauty tip of putting preparation H ointment to get rid of under eye bags ! I guess there can be a double use for a lot of things.