Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Treatments and Therapies What (if any) vitamins/ supplements do you take?

• What (if any) vitamins/ supplements do you take?

Posted by brittany-foster on November 7, 2019 at 2:00 pm

Lately, when my levels have been checked in the hospital my potassium has been low. I have had to go back on those large potassium pills that I’m sure many are familiar with. I have been having a hard time taking multi vitamins without much nutrition in my body because it makes me feel sick on an empty stomach. Some things I have taken that make me feel better when I’m sick are emergen-c packets and mix them in water. I also try to do nutrition and vitamins through shake mixes like shakeology brand.

Do you have supplements or vitamins that you take daily or when you’re not feeling your best? What supplements or vitamins have been recommended to you?

Colleen replied 4 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Colleen

November 7, 2019 at 2:54 pm

Vitamins can be a necessary evil. I’m familiar with the nausea it can cause. My son has been on high doses of magnesium both pre and post transplant. Due to osteoporosis he also takes calcium. He’s always low on Vitamin D and we were told it’s a combination of his medications depleting him and the fact that we live in the Seattle where we only get a few months worth of sun. So he take Vitamin D3. He’s had to do iron supplements a few times but once his levels improve then they just encourage him to include iron rich foods as part of his diet.

I’ve taken the ermgen-c packets in the past, especially during cold and flu season. Just remember to check and make sure it doesn’t include grapefruit or could mess with your meds.

I know my son is reminded to eat a little something with heavy vitamins to help keep nausea to a minimum. How do you manage that with your nourishment restrictions?

• brittany-foster

November 8, 2019 at 8:53 am

Yes grapefruit in general has been super acidic for me. It’s too harsh on my stomach. I can usually tolerate the raspberry flavor of emergen-c. That one is pretty good. You’re right that people should be careful about what vitamins and supplements to take and in which amount. Sometimes people think, the more the better, but I have learned that there is also a thing as TOO much going into the body and too many vitamins can disturb the systems. Always good to find how to reach that balance. I went to a natural medicine practitioner for this at one point and they worked with my doctors and medical team to help me come up with a plan. I stopped a lot of them because they were honestly getting super expensive for me!

• Colleen

November 8, 2019 at 12:58 pm

Raspberry is what I have always bought too. Vitamins and supplements are expensive. I’ve shopped around and my supermarket is the best place to get them. Many times the ones my son needs are buy one get one free. Whenever I see that I stock up on them.

• jimi-mcintosh

November 12, 2019 at 10:53 am

B-12, iron pill or liquid iron, emergen-c, multi-vitamin. Back on cycle of b-12 shots for 4 weeks, to combat kidney anemia and low red blood cell. Never noticed the grapefruit, thanks for warning.

• brittany-foster

November 12, 2019 at 12:46 pm

Jimi,
      I know a lot of PH’ers who take some type of iron supplement or even get iron infusions. I feel like anemia is pretty common with this condition and other conditions with the lungs that have an impact on our blood levels. What are the B-12 shots for? How does it make you feel after you take them/ how long until you notice some type of difference? I have heard others who take B12 so just curious about what exactly the supplement does for you.

• Colleen

November 12, 2019 at 10:30 pm

@jimi here is an informative article about how grapefruit juice can interact with medications.

https://www.drugs.com/article/grapefruit-drug-interactions.html

• ann-goddeyne

November 12, 2019 at 12:45 pm

I have trouble with regular (pill) vitamins. I have switched to gummies for my multi vitamin and vitamin d. I take chewy caramel for my calcium

I hate my potassium pills. Would love alternatives to the large pills

• brittany-foster

November 12, 2019 at 12:48 pm

Ann,
      The potassium are such a pain! They are such a horse pill. In the hospital they taught me to just open up the capsule and dump the inside into pudding. They also just had me open the capsule, put the powder on my tongue and take it with water. It is gritty and kind of has a weird taste to it but it is better than swallowing the pill whole that’s for sure.